Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2006, 11:04 PM   #1
all-apologies
Registered Member

Question Skimmer dry foam

Ive got an older ETSS reef devil running on a via aqua 3300. The stuff it pulls out is so wet i can see through it. I dunno if im putting to much water though it or what.

Anyone know how i can get drier foam on this thing? Its pulling out super wet skimmate everyday (like a gallon), too wet for me. I have the gate walve wide open and the pump throttled back just a tiny bit.

thanks,

all-apologies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2006, 11:28 PM   #2
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

you have to reduce the speed of the pump, or reduce the air it sucks in somehow.

Or if it has a ball valve(or gate) just open it more. That will get you drier skimmate.

Current Tank Info: 220 galon mixed reef.
boxfishpooalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2006, 11:39 PM   #3
all-apologies
Registered Member

will it take a while to become more dry?

I mean, thats what i figure cus right when i turn down the pump a bit and open the gate valve(from skimmer) it lowers the water level like 3/4 of and inch and justs sits there.

all-apologies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2006, 08:10 AM   #4
jsc4354
Registered Member

I recently purchased a reef devil and am currently still tweaking to get it just right.Anyway, I was constantly opening and closing the gate valve and couldn't figure out why it would not pull any skimmate out. Then I went out of town for a couple days and guess what I had a quarter cup of skimmate. So, whatever changes you make let it sit there for a couple days.

jsc4354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2006, 09:26 AM   #5
DrBDC
Registered Member

On the larger model etss skimmers, adding an additional bioball in the downdraft tube will dry the skimmate out and the opposite by removing some.

Current Tank Info: 180g sps+75 softy/lps on one system tunze's, seio's, mjmods, aquacontroller w/add ons, 2X400 XM10000 and 3X160 vho actinic, 110g sump, 110 frag tank, Geo Beckett and other stuff
DrBDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2006, 12:24 AM   #6
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by all-apologies
will it take a while to become more dry?

I mean, thats what i figure cus right when i turn down the pump a bit and open the gate valve(from skimmer) it lowers the water level like 3/4 of and inch and justs sits there.
Yes as skimmate builds up as a foam, the foam will travel up the neck and flow into the cup. It may take a day to get kicken.

Fwiw, some people think skimming wet actually removes more organics. As the water from the foam drains back, it can contain more nitrate too. As bacteria break down the waste. So imo, wet skimming is fine, so long as you dont effect salinity too much.

Current Tank Info: 220 galon mixed reef.
boxfishpooalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2006, 03:36 AM   #7
Cosmo^Kramer
Registered Member

I had a reef devil and found these instructions very helpful.These are from the AE tech website.

http://www.superskimmer.com/SRD%20on_a_90.htm

Current Tank Info: Starting up a Cadlights signature series.
Cosmo^Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote