Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/10/2018, 10:26 PM   #1
kupadupapupa
Registered Member

LPS pellets any good? Cleaner shrimp stealing food.

So I’ve been battling my cleaner shrimp for months and I’m sick of him stealing food from my corals. I literally give the guy 4-5 really big pieces of mysis shrimp but it only keeps him occupied for maybe an hour or so before he starts going around ripping food out from inside the LPS mouths. If it wasn’t for my wife and kid liking him so much I would have gotten rid of him.

I was wondering if any of you have a positive experience with LPS taking to the pellets? I don’t know if it will work but I’m hoping the pellet is able to dissolve quicker inside the coral and the shrimp won’t be able to rip out whole pieces of food as easily. I did try feeding the corals New Life Spectrum pellet food but they just spit that out so either they somehow knew it was fiah food or they will not accept any kind of pellet.

kupadupapupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 02:07 AM   #2
rffanat1c
Registered Member

I have never fed my lps directly. I wouldn’t be concerned about the shrimp, corals get plenty from light and broadcast feeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rffanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 02:54 AM   #3
kupadupapupa
Registered Member

What do you broadcast feed? I have reef chili but I have never really used it much because I wasn’t sure if the LPS was even catching any of it.

Unread 02/11/2018, 09:53 AM   #4
ROlympia
Registered Member

I tried some fauna marin lps pellets and they just got spit out. I use frozen (thawed) cubes and I chase the shrimp away with the feeding tool. Very annoying because it just spreads the majority of the food into the tank trying to eat it all.

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Crush Coral
Registered Member

Mine love formula one pellets. I no longer keep cleaner shrimp for that reason . They are healthy for your your fish but a pain when feeding corals.

Crush Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 01:32 PM   #6
rffanat1c
Registered Member

I feed my tank Limpits frozen food. So many small pieces when i thaw it and put it in the tank, coral grab it as it goes by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rffanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 01:51 PM   #7
kupadupapupa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlympia View Post
I tried some fauna marin lps pellets and they just got spit out. I use frozen (thawed) cubes and I chase the shrimp away with the feeding tool. Very annoying because it just spreads the majority of the food into the tank trying to eat it all.
Yeah that’s what I was wondering, I’m pretty sure my coral wouldn’t take lps pellets either then since it was also spitting out fish pellets.