Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2016, 08:50 PM   #1
Sweitz1972
Registered Member

To add or not to add.

Hey everyone. Just wanted to get some opinions on if I should add any other fish or am I stocked enough.

I have a 55 gallon reef tank with 60 lbs of LR, that has been going for about 7 months now. All water parameters are where they should be. I usually test water once a week now and do 10 gallon WC once a month. My CUC consists of two brittle stars, a halloween urchin, ten hermits, four Mexican turbo snails and about six tiger turbo snails. I have three firefish, two juvenile black occelaris clowns, one yellow coris wrasse and a LTA with a few frags of mushrooms and a zoa frag.

Everything looks good and thriving. I was thinking of adding a final fish or two, possibly cardinal fish or if anyone else has some suggestions on a fish, or should I just enjoy what I have and watch it grow which - would be more than content to do as well.

Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Sweitz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 09:29 PM   #2
Reeferfourlife
Registered Member

I would be content with that amount of fish already. Remember they will get big and increase the bio load. I personally like a light load because I like more corals. Easier to control parameters. Also if you like more fish, it will depend on how you export nutrients. Like having a good skimmer or reactors. Just my 2 cent.

Reeferfourlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 05:31 AM   #3
Fish Everywhere
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweitz1972 View Post
Hey everyone. Just wanted to get some opinions on if I should add any other fish or am I stocked enough.

I have a 55 gallon reef tank with 60 lbs of LR, that has been going for about 7 months now. All water parameters are where they should be. I usually test water once a week now and do 10 gallon WC once a month. My CUC consists of two brittle stars, a halloween urchin, ten hermits, four Mexican turbo snails and about six tiger turbo snails. I have three firefish, two juvenile black occelaris clowns, one yellow coris wrasse and a LTA with a few frags of mushrooms and a zoa frag.

Everything looks good and thriving. I was thinking of adding a final fish or two, possibly cardinal fish or if anyone else has some suggestions on a fish, or should I just enjoy what I have and watch it grow which - would be more than content to do as well.

Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
Assuming your nitrates have been stable and below 10-15 consistently for an extended period of time, I don't see why you cannot add another fish or two. I would be more concerned about possible aggression than bioload at that point, so make sure all fish are fine with each other and their territories aren't too small.

On a side note, if your nitrates are too high, I would either stop adding fish, or if I did add them, consider increasing your nutrient export to handle more fish (larger skimmer, more water changes, biopellets, etc). Hope that helps, good luck!

Fish Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 05:55 AM   #4
civics14
Registered Member

My personal opinion is that you can add a fish or two, and like Fish_Everywhere said, I'd be more worried about aggression if anything.

How long have you had the 3 firefish? I have a 150g and I tried two, they fought all the time... even in a 5' tank until one jumped ship and kicked the bucket.

civics14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 07:32 AM   #5
Sweitz1972
Registered Member

Sorry I know everyone likes numbers, should of posted them

Ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate is around 5. PH is around 8.2. Alkalinity I go by meq/L which is around 4.5-5. Sorry I forget exact numbers with Ca, Mag, and Phos but they are at good levels. Has been stable like this now for four to five months.

I have my firefish now for almost five months. They were the first fish added after having the tank running for two months to cycle. Admittedly, I think I got lucky with the firefish, as well as a good set up with my liverock. When I researched them before I bought them it was suggested to only add one. The day I went to the LFS, they had a sale on firefish 3 for 40 bucks and when I told my fishstore my findings from researching them, he said not to worry, they will be better in a group. So I trusted his advice and took advantage of the sale. Luckily I have a lot of LR and spread it out evenly across the tank, 48 inches long. At first the firefish were fighting a little bit and I thought I should have trusted my research, but after a few weeks of ascerting dominance, the biggest one took the middle of the tank and the biggest rock, the two smaller ones took rocks on either ends, and get along great for the last four to five months now.

While I got lucky this time, I will be trusting my research from here on in! Thanks for the replies guys, any suggestions on a possible other fish. I don't think I will be adding it for a few months, if I even do. Things are going good and I wouldn't mind trying to add some different corals and possibly a BTA, so a fish can wait until I have things even more stable.

Unread 06/29/2016, 12:07 PM   #6
formsix
Registered Member

My vote would be for a small blenny -- one that will perch on the rocks more than swim in the open water, as you already have mostly open water swimmers. A watchman goby that will mainly chill at the bottom of the tank could also be a good choice.

formsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 12:16 PM   #7
Reef Frog
Registered Member

Assuming you can keep the nutrient loads in check, and have enough sleeping and hiding spaces within the rock work, I think you can add a few more small fish if you want. The only wild card might be the possibility of the two clowns becoming aggressive as they grow up. You'll also want something that are likely to leave the firefish alone.

Basslets, fang or tailspot blennies, purple (friedmini) dottyback might be possibilities. A smaller hawkfish or other perching bottom dweller is another idea.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 12:38 PM   #8
tjm9331
Registered Member

a pygmy hawkfish would be a great addition they only get to about 2.5 inches. it would be perfect for a 55 gallon.

Hawkfish have great personality too and they're so fun to watch!

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 05:26 PM   #9
amperidot
Registered Member

I second the vote for a small blenny, maybe a tailspot or bicolor

My tailspot was my final addition to my 40 gallon and he is absolutely delightful <3

amperidot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 08:40 AM   #10
Sweitz1972
Registered Member

All great suggestions, thanks guys. One fish that has caught my eye is black cap basslets. Anyone with experience with them? Are they better alone or small shoals?

The hawkfish and blennies are interesting options as well, I'll research them as well.

Unread 06/30/2016, 08:57 AM   #11
formsix
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweitz1972 View Post
All great suggestions, thanks guys. One fish that has caught my eye is black cap basslets. Anyone with experience with them? Are they better alone or small shoals?
As far as I know, most people keep them alone. They're similar to royal grammas but often more reclusive and like to chill in the rock work. I think either a royal gramma or a black cap basslet would work in your tank, and both tend to come out of the rock work and "hover" rather than being open-water swimmers which would give them a different niche in your tank. However, they'll get almost as big as the clowns and wrasse, so I think if you did add this one more fish you really would be reaching stocking capacity for your tank.

formsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 09:37 AM   #12
bat21
Registered Member

A blackcap basslet would be fine as long as there is an area in the rocks that he can make his home. As with royal grammas, they can be hit or miss with how much they come out of their cave. But it would certainly be a finer fish to add to your current tank. I say go for it.

I think you could even add another fish, like a blenny or a goby.

Current Tank Info: 65g fowlr
bat21 is offline   Reply With Quote