Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2018, 07:24 AM   #1
Shark888
Registered Member

White stuff on the coraline

Hello,

Can someone tell me when the white creamy white stuff (see pics) on the coraline will get away and finally show the beautiful color on my liverock ???

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9055a.jpg (85.1 KB, 68 views)
Shark888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Shark888
Registered Member

Approximately 80% of my liverocks are covered with these white stuff, only a little part show the original color of the coraline.

Unread 02/11/2018, 10:25 AM   #3
jlmawp
Registered Member

Looks like the coralline is bleaching. Lots of factors can cause this, from salinity issues to calcium levels. What are your water parameters?

Also, I’m guessing from your join date that your tank is very new, is that a good assumption?

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 10:30 AM   #4
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Livestock? Clean up crew?

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Shark888
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmawp View Post
Looks like the coralline is bleaching. Lots of factors can cause this, from salinity issues to calcium levels. What are your water parameters?

Also, I’m guessing from your join date that your tank is very new, is that a good assumption?
Hello, yes Im totally new, launched the tank 23rd January.

I bought the liverocks online and I got after two days shipping some full of the white creamy stuff, some with mix purple coraline and white creamy stuff and some with green coraline and white creamy stuff.

My levels are as below (tested just now) :

Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : 0 it was under 10 past few days and just now I tested it show 0, maybe because I added prodibio biokit reef today...

PH : 8.02
Temperature : 26 degrees Celcius
Phosphate : 0
Calcium : 0
KH : 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNBUG361 View Post
Livestock? Clean up crew?
One clownfish, one blue/yellow damsel, one mandarin, two hermit crabs, and 4 snails.

Unread 02/14/2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Shark888
Registered Member

UP, only me is having those white creamy stuffs all over my LR ?

Unread 02/14/2018, 12:14 PM   #7
Shamous113
Registered Member

What is you salinity and magnesium at, are you sure about the calcium being 0? you should be around the following, Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300

Unread 02/14/2018, 12:20 PM   #8
AlSimmons
Registered Member

I'm not really sure what you mean by "white creamy stuff," but if your not talking about the rocks themselves then what your seeing might be sponges of some sort or perhaps a fungus or bacteria.
How does it feel to the touch? Does it come off with a brush? For a tank that's not even a month old things like this would be pretty common. The link below might help.

http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/ (Info Links > Hitchhikers > Algae)

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 12:49 PM   #9
Shark888
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamous113 View Post
What is you salinity and magnesium at, are you sure about the calcium being 0? you should be around the following, Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300
My salinity is 1.027 actually. I tested few times calcium and it show 0 but Im thinking that the tester might be not working (using chinese brand tester), although other tester from this brand are working (ammonia, nitrites).

Magnesium, I don't have the tester right now but I will order as soon as Chinese new year holiday finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
I'm not really sure what you mean by "white creamy stuff," but if your not talking about the rocks themselves then what your seeing might be sponges of some sort or perhaps a fungus or bacteria.
How does it feel to the touch? Does it come off with a brush? For a tank that's not even a month old things like this would be pretty common. The link below might help.

http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/ (Info Links > Hitchhikers > Algae)
No, they are a bit rock when I touch them, snails are going over them and could not remove them. I tried to remove them with some tools but could not remove any easily.

What I can say is the day I got those LR, most of them were very beautiful and colorful (coraline if I dont mistake ?), but they turn out within 48 hours to these white stuff.

Also, the day I got them, using the blue light, I could see their color very bright and beautiful but now I cannot see as it was the first day...very strange.

Unread 02/14/2018, 12:53 PM   #10
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark888 View Post
Hello, yes Im totally new, launched the tank 23rd January.

I bought the liverocks online and I got after two days shipping some full of the white creamy stuff, some with mix purple coraline and white creamy stuff and some with green coraline and white creamy stuff.

My levels are as below (tested just now) :

Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : 0 it was under 10 past few days and just now I tested it show 0, maybe because I added prodibio biokit reef today...

PH : 8.02
Temperature : 26 degrees Celcius
Phosphate : 0
Calcium : 0
KH : 7

One clownfish, one blue/yellow damsel, one mandarin, two hermit crabs, and 4 snails.
I thought Mandarins could only survive in established tanks with a robust pod population... What is it eating?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Deluxe, Nano Max, 55g Observation, 20g QT
SereneAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 01:03 PM   #11
Shark888
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneAquatic View Post
I thought Mandarins could only survive in established tanks with a robust pod population... What is it eating?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Well the mandarin pass all his day moving at the surface of the LR biting something that I cannot see... euh I see only some dust explosing everywhere once it launch his attack.

Unread 02/14/2018, 01:19 PM   #12
crawlerman
Registered Member

it is the coralline dying. It is not easy to grow in a new tank. You need to read your calcium test directions again. You need to add the #2 reagent and count the drops until it changes color. The three most important tests are magnesium, calcium and alk. If you keep these steady and balance, and also keep nutrients under control and the coralline will return and cover everything.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 01:20 PM   #13
jayball
Registered Member

When corraline dies it leaves behind smooth white rock. Keep your ALK steady and keep up on your water changes and it will come back.

Sent using Tapatalk.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote