Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2013, 09:45 PM   #51
Acronic
The Fifth Master

Pics look great! Your corals are quite light. How long is your photo period?

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2013, 06:40 AM   #52
tmc1313
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronic View Post
Pics look great! Your corals are quite light. How long is your photo period?
Thanks Kevin, and thanks for the advice! I'm still not quite there yet, but I'll keep at it. I'm still having a lot of trouble photographing some of the deeper blue corals I have. I can't seem to get them to come out looking accurate. My tank does look like a zeo tank at the moment, but it's not the look I prefer. Most of my colors are light and every time I add a something new with darker colors it will lighten up within a month. My phos is .04, so I think that's good. I'm pretty sure my problem lies with no detectable nitrate using the Salifert test. I've been trying to raise them a little bit, but it doesn't seem that easy. My lighting is full lights for 7 hours and 9 hours total using sunrise and sunset mode on my dimmable ATI fixture.

Unread 12/16/2013, 09:47 AM   #53
tmc1313
Registered Member

Time for my 3 month update:
What's changed? Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone and switched to all LEDs cold turkey. I figured some of the coral were already browned out from all the instability I've put them through so I might as well change the lighting and have them start acclimating to the leds. So far so good, I'm getting great polyp extension and colors are still slowly improving. Most browned out SPS are showing color on the new growth (I'm taking that as a good sign), I haven't had any bleaching and I'm also getting a lot of encrusting at the base of everything. So here are a few updated photos:

What did I switch to?
AI Hydras (4 units)

Here is how they look over the tank:

And a few full tank shots:

Unread 12/16/2013, 10:06 AM   #54
Shan69743
Registered Member

very neat idea.

Shan69743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2013, 10:06 AM   #55
Shan69743
Registered Member

great growth too.

Shan69743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2013, 10:07 AM   #56
mos90
Registered Member

looks great.. i do like those hydras . what % you running them at.

mos90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2013, 01:23 PM   #57
tmc1313
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan69743 View Post
very neat idea.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos90 View Post
looks great.. i do like those hydras . what % you running them at.
Thanks, I'm running them @:

Red = 20%
White = 45%
UV = 70%
Green = 75%
Violet = 80%
DB = 85%
RB = 90%

Unread 12/16/2013, 05:20 PM   #58
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Your tank is truly amazing outstanding work thank you for the insperation as I needed that.

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2013, 08:51 PM   #59
tmc1313
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
Your tank is truly amazing outstanding work thank you for the insperation as I needed that.
Thanks so much! And thank you for such a great compliment.

Unread 12/17/2013, 02:06 PM   #60
blakers82
Registered Member

Well done on the 'scape. Keep us updated on those Hydras.

150gal SPS
blakers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2013, 04:38 PM   #61
tmc1313
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakers82 View Post
Well done on the 'scape. Keep us updated on those Hydras.
Thanks. Sure thing, I'll be updating whenever I add or change something. Otherwise I plan on updating every few months just to show growth.

Unread 02/09/2014, 10:16 PM   #62
mikeyyj23
Registered Member

Wow the tank looks great! Thats an awesome aquascape everything is going to look so cool when it grows in. Im thinking about switching one of my tanks lighting over to the hydras

Unread 02/11/2014, 12:13 PM   #63
PanicBuyer
Registered Member

Wow, very artistic.

PanicBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2014, 12:28 PM   #64
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Looks like red bugs on the pearlberry, FYI

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2014, 02:17 PM   #65
tmc1313
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyj23 View Post
Wow the tank looks great! Thats an awesome aquascape everything is going to look so cool when it grows in. Im thinking about switching one of my tanks lighting over to the hydras
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicBuyer View Post
Wow, very artistic.

Thanks, I'm actually running two Hydra 52's right now with two actinic T5's in front and back. I think the addition of T5's evens everything out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
Looks like red bugs on the pearlberry, FYI
Hi, thanks for the heads up, but there are no red bugs in the tank (thankfully). I went back and looked at the pic and I see how you might think that though. Might have just been something caught on the coral at the time I snapped the pic. Also, that pic was taken a little while ago. I'm sure I would have noticed if there were RB's by now. I'm always on the look out for any nasty pests.

Unread 02/12/2014, 04:32 PM   #66
glaukos
Registered Member

Love the scape!
Welldone tmc!

Unread 02/12/2014, 06:27 PM   #67
reefcoco
Registered Member

Love that look, I agree with everyone here, when these corals grows, this tank will be stunning. Simply Amazing Rockscape.

reefcoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2014, 03:39 PM   #68
tmc1313
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
Love the scape!
Welldone tmc!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefcoco View Post
Love that look, I agree with everyone here, when these corals grows, this tank will be stunning. Simply Amazing Rockscape.
Thank you! I'm really happy how the scaping turned out. I think the only downside to this look is that I'm limited on space for coral. I guess to have the look I want that's the sacrifice that has to be made. I can live with it though, I just have to be more selective with my coral choices.

Unread 02/14/2014, 08:37 AM   #69
tannersmith2000
Registered Member

Nice reef bommies

Wenn du am Boden bist, steh auf!

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon FOWLR lagoon, 80 gallon shallow reef
tannersmith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2014, 04:16 PM   #70
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Killer scape!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
jackson6745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 09:37 AM   #71
tmc1313
Registered Member

Hi guys, time for my quarterly update. I changed my lights again from AI Hydra's to AI Hydra 52's. Most of my corals are easy or no name SPS. The corals showing the best growth and color over the last 3 months are the staghorns, stylo's, turaki, and lokani. The blue stag in the middle/left has colored up and been growing like crazy. The ones showing the least growth and color are the Mille's (bad color, but good growth) and birdnest's (good color, bad growth). I lost a maricultured Loripes colony, but this had been struggling for quite a while. I bleached it when I first switched over to led's and it just never recovered. My nitrates have been undetectable so I have been trying to feed more and cut back on my water changes to try and darken things up a bit. I don't use carbon or GFO and recently I put some online via a phosban reactor. I think I added too much because things lightened up again after they were doing so well. I have no idea why I did that knowing my nitrates and phosphates were already low. Since then I have taken it back offline and don't run any carbon or GFO now. My slimer was a nice deep fluorescent green and now it's a few shades lighter. It's recovered from much worse. So I took some recent pics for documentation. Things had looked better, but the GFO/carbon really brought things a step or two back. Hopefully the next quarterly pics will be much better.

how to take screenshots

free image uploading

image hosting

how to do a screen shot

imagen

windows 7 screenshot

Unread 05/14/2014, 05:02 AM   #72
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

First off I want to say your tank is very inspirational. I had this problem and corrected it with feeding my Sps the below recipe. There is also something I am using called reef booster instead of pappone. I just wanted to make sure I tried a few different foods before deciding on what would be the one I would use long term. Either of these are great food and I would recommend to anyone with a reef tank. If you have any questions let me know and please keep the pictures coming.

Pappone Recipe Italian Coral Food (Updated 1/14/2007)

Materials:
5 Oysters
5 Mussels
5 Clams
5 Shrimp (NOT cocktail shrimp, the big scampi type w/o the head and the shell)
1 Tablespoon of Sugar (not corn syrup, etc.)
200 mL of RO/DI water
10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)
and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)

Methods: Make SURE that all ingredients are the freshest possible and DO NOT use frozen foods (unless it is impossible for you). Make sure everything "live" is rinsed and cleaned before putting it into the blender. Put all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 5 min, wait 2 min for it to cool, 5 more min blending, 2 min of waiting again, then finally another 5 min of blending (the pausing is so that the solution doesn't get too hot and "cook" from the heat of the blender/blades). Pour into cube forms (approx 10 mL each). Then freeze it all€”you want to minimize how long everything is at room temperature.

Procedure: One hour prior to turning off your lights, you have the option of adding Amino acids to the tank*. (For example, 11pm Halides off, add AA€™s, 12am, actinics off, then add pappone). Take off the cup of your skimmer, but leave the skimmer running (so you don€™t have a massive drop in O2 levels overnight). After the lights are off, start with only a ¼ of a cube per WEEK for every 400 L of tank water (approx 100 gallons). Be sure to measure NO3 and PO4 the next morning so that these parameters don't spike after feeding. You can reduce the amount fed if you are having nutrient problems. Also don€™t forget to put the skimmer cup back on the next morning before the lights go back on.

*If everything is going well. It is good to wait and see how the tank is doing for awhile before trying this. The whole point here is that you don't want to change anything too fast, because nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. (Another method to grind up amino acid pills in the next batch of food; however Bisck found that it sometimes causes diatom outbreaks in his tank

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
Unread 05/14/2014, 02:46 PM   #73
tmc1313
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
First off I want to say your tank is very inspirational. I had this problem and corrected it with feeding my Sps the below recipe. There is also something I am using called reef booster instead of pappone. I just wanted to make sure I tried a few different foods before deciding on what would be the one I would use long term. Either of these are great food and I would recommend to anyone with a reef tank. If you have any questions let me know and please keep the pictures coming.

Pappone Recipe Italian Coral Food (Updated 1/14/2007)

Materials:
5 Oysters
5 Mussels
5 Clams
5 Shrimp (NOT cocktail shrimp, the big scampi type w/o the head and the shell)
1 Tablespoon of Sugar (not corn syrup, etc.)
200 mL of RO/DI water
10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)
and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)

Methods: Make SURE that all ingredients are the freshest possible and DO NOT use frozen foods (unless it is impossible for you). Make sure everything "live" is rinsed and cleaned before putting it into the blender. Put all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 5 min, wait 2 min for it to cool, 5 more min blending, 2 min of waiting again, then finally another 5 min of blending (the pausing is so that the solution doesn't get too hot and "cook" from the heat of the blender/blades). Pour into cube forms (approx 10 mL each). Then freeze it all€”you want to minimize how long everything is at room temperature.

Procedure: One hour prior to turning off your lights, you have the option of adding Amino acids to the tank*. (For example, 11pm Halides off, add AA€™s, 12am, actinics off, then add pappone). Take off the cup of your skimmer, but leave the skimmer running (so you don€™t have a massive drop in O2 levels overnight). After the lights are off, start with only a ¼ of a cube per WEEK for every 400 L of tank water (approx 100 gallons). Be sure to measure NO3 and PO4 the next morning so that these parameters don't spike after feeding. You can reduce the amount fed if you are having nutrient problems. Also don€™t forget to put the skimmer cup back on the next morning before the lights go back on.

*If everything is going well. It is good to wait and see how the tank is doing for awhile before trying this. The whole point here is that you don't want to change anything too fast, because nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. (Another method to grind up amino acid pills in the next batch of food; however Bisck found that it sometimes causes diatom outbreaks in his tank
Thanks for the compliment. That's quite the recipe! I do need to either start feeding the corals a bit or I might try to add more fish and feed them more and see how that goes first. Either way, I think I need to get my trates up (at least to detectable levels. I really don't get much algae growth except that dust up on the glass every few days.

Unread 05/14/2014, 03:34 PM   #74
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Yes if you feed either food source I gave you will raise your nitrates.

Unread 05/15/2014, 01:16 PM   #75
GhostCon1
Rebmem Deretsiger

I love your aqua scape. However maybe I overlooked this, but how did you get the right side structure to stay up and be secure?

Current Tank Info: Getting a big'un
GhostCon1 is offline   Reply With Quote