Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2018, 07:52 AM   #26
tom g
Registered Member

alkalinity

I will do some aggressice waiting ....

all fish are doing well ... I will lay off on the water changes for a few weeks
I will continue to use ro/di water and slowly start to get this tank in order

there is some really funky looking black algae at the top of the tank on the rockwork , really nasty stuff when I syphon it out its like a skin and then some detris or loose crap underneath it I have not seen this kind of algae before
not sure if this is helping with the prob I syphoned it last week and its back again ...

tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 01:45 PM   #27
bertoni
RC Mod

Removing organic debris can help with nutrient levels and possibly with animal health, but the alkalinity level won't be affected much, if any.

Unread 02/04/2018, 06:30 PM   #28
tom g
Registered Member

alkalinity

ok thank u bertoni... I appreciate all the help u have given me ..and of course everyone else as well ...

Unread 02/04/2018, 07:04 PM   #29
jeepguy242
Registered Member

test kit bad?

i have never seen alk that high

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef, 40 gallon sump, mag 9.5 return, quiet one 6000 closed loop, reef octo NWB-150 2010 model, diy kalkwasser reactor and ATO, 3 250 watt MH 14k
jeepguy242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 07:06 PM   #30
tom g
Registered Member

alkalinity

I have tried 2 diff salifert kits ,actually just got a refill for the hanna chker and was gonna try that out tonite ...but I test my alk on my home tank and I am at 8.0 dkh

Unread 02/04/2018, 07:09 PM   #31
jeepguy242
Registered Member

that rules out the bad kit

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef, 40 gallon sump, mag 9.5 return, quiet one 6000 closed loop, reef octo NWB-150 2010 model, diy kalkwasser reactor and ATO, 3 250 watt MH 14k
jeepguy242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 09:26 PM   #32
tom g
Registered Member

alkalinity

checked readings with a hanna alk tester and readings are 15.3.....

like I was told earlier by someone I will continue topping up with rodi water and will hold off on water changes and let the number come down .
I have some dark black algae I will syphon that off instead of water changes ...
I guess it will be a waiting game

Unread 02/05/2018, 06:32 PM   #33
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay. With the dKH that high, the drop might take quite a while, but the tank should be safe enough. If you can get a source for lower-dKH saltwater, that would help the drop, but I think the normal water change routine should be fine.

Unread 02/11/2018, 06:36 PM   #34
tom g
Registered Member

alkalinity

hey guys its been a few weeks of patience , not sure I'm doing some aggressive waiting , this damn alk is not dropping I have no idea what is going on , should I keep waiting o should I plan a restart of this tank ....

Unread 02/15/2018, 02:35 PM   #35
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom g View Post
hey guys its been a few weeks of patience , not sure I'm doing some aggressive waiting , this damn alk is not dropping I have no idea what is going on , should I keep waiting o should I plan a restart of this tank ....
Definitely lay off the water changes. (it has only been 7 days since you said you would, that is not aggressive waiting). Test a couple times a week but it may take at least a month to come down. Unless of course you do a water change, then it will take longer.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 10:31 PM   #36
bertoni
RC Mod

Hmm, my response seems to have disappeared. Maybe I didn't hit the right button.

Have you measured some freshly-mixed saltwater? Maybe the mix is bad. I'd also test the RO/DI, just on general principles. It should measure 0 dKH. A saltwater kit will be somewhat inaccurate on RO/DI, but it'd be more than good enough.

Unread 02/17/2018, 07:22 AM   #37
tom g
Registered Member

salt batch

I have tested the salt water and use the same batch for my home display tank it is about 8.0
my rodi is about 5 and its time to change filters I just ordered them the other day actually .
as for the office tank it is getting water from home no longer using office water as I know this is what has most prob created this problem , till I can get a rodi unit installed at the office then this is the way it will have to be .
as for waiting I guess I will h ave to wait more ,

Unread 02/17/2018, 09:25 AM   #38
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom g View Post
I have tested the salt water and use the same batch for my home display tank it is about 8.0
my rodi is about 5 and its time to change filters I just ordered them the other day actually .
as for the office tank it is getting water from home no longer using office water as I know this is what has most prob created this problem , till I can get a rodi unit installed at the office then this is the way it will have to be .
as for waiting I guess I will h ave to wait more ,
I think I said this back in post #23, unless your fresh RODI water is 0 it adds to the salt mix Alk. If tap it adds 7-8+ whatever yout tap tests out at.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 11:31 AM   #39
tom g
Registered Member

alkalinity

yes I totally understand that and agree with it , but what blows my mind is my display tank with the same salt and same water is at 8.0 ...
that's why I am 100 pecrent sure its the tap water that did it at her office ..now I have to hope it comes out and starts dropping was contemplating doing a huge 50 gallon swap out , but as u guys have said to have patience

Unread 02/17/2018, 03:18 PM   #40
bertoni
RC Mod

I think that 15 dKH should be safe, so I'd be careful. Some cures can be much worse than the disease. As long as the tank is doing well enough, I'd move carefully. There's no need to rush in this situation.