Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2018, 11:01 PM   #1
jonto
Registered Member

Moving an RBTA

I'm wanting to move my RBTA about 3 inches up and to the left of where he is. Its directly behind the Condy and I want to get him more room.
Unfortunately he is very happy where he is and has a super anchor onto the rock crevice.
Tonight when he was retracted I put a piece of rock over him with an opening to the left. Will see in the morning what happens.
How have you folks moved a tenatious Nem?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 My RBT.jpg (104.6 KB, 37 views)
jonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 11:22 PM   #2
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

That looks almost impossible to move it without injuring it. I recommend leave it be if its comfortable there. You can try to block the light from him n see if it moves on its own, like you said. Put another rock right above him.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 01:14 AM   #3
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Chances are it will stretch through the opening rather than move. Good luck.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 06:35 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

I would leave him be. He will move if he see the need. Contrary to popular believe, anemones of different species can fight or coexist without problem. What cause them to fight each other is unclear, at least to me. Here is a picture of my Gigantea and Magnifica touching for at least over 1 year and still on going without injury or harm to each other.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mag-Gigantea.jpg (100.3 KB, 88 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 11:24 AM   #5
jd371
Registered Member

I haven't done this myself, but you can use some PVC. Cover it with a piece of PVC long enough so that he has to move through it to get to the light. It should detach from the rock and move into the PVC.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 06:59 PM   #6
jonto
Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments everyone. The rock method seems to be working. He's moved about an inch. One more cover rock and he'll be close to where I want him. At least if he doesn't decide to move. LOL I might try the PVC method also if this doesn't work.

jonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 09:57 PM   #7
Merfin70
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I would leave him be. He will move if he see the need. Contrary to popular believe, anemones of different species can fight or coexist without problem. What cause them to fight each other is unclear, at least to me. Here is a picture of my Gigantea and Magnifica touching for at least over 1 year and still on going without injury or harm to each other.

Thanks for this OrionN, always meant to ask about others experiences with co-existenance but never got around to it. I had a large gig that was completely peaceful with my RBTAs and was also often right up against my Derasa clam and could care less about them. But he had no problem killing all but 4 fish I had in the tank and hated the zoas and palys on the rock next to him. Those he stung into extinction. When I first started in the hobby, I was not aware that they selectively sting.

Current Tank: Jan 2010, Custom Cadlights 65g Starfire Shallow Rimless (36"x24"x17") with 24g Sump, ATI Sunpower 6x39w, Aquamaxx ConeS CO 1, Vortech MP40 + MP10, Return Eheim 1260
Merfin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 11:30 AM   #8
Softhammer
Registered Member

That’s a gr at idea with the pipe over the anemone. I have 5 green bubble tips that need to hit the road.