Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01/25/2018, 10:38 AM   #1
930Reef
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Chicago NW Suburbs
Posts: 107
New to hobby...help IDing this worm?

New to the hobby, and oh man, is this awesome. Set up is a new 15 gal nano with a 15 gallon sump.

Every day I get up and see something new that has come out of live rock. First it was a Kenya Tree (I know they can be a PITA, but it's under control for now.) So cool to watch. Now I'm seeing the rock crawling with tiny inverts when lights go down. About 18 lbs of cured live rock are in at present. Will be adding more. Yesterday, I saw at least two of these worms. The pic attached is the biggest; about 1" long to give you an idea. Just a bristleworm? Just curious as I know some can be nasty. Best pic I could get. Sorry if no head shot. Any info and/or recommendations are appreciated. You folks rule. Thanks again!


Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worm ID.jpg (75.3 KB, 37 views)
930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2018, 10:53 AM   #2
humphreyhh
Registered Member
 
humphreyhh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 434
It does looks like some type of bristle worm somehow (or maybe fireworm Iím no expert in hitchhikers since I got zero of them). If so, just be ware that they can grow quite large and might hunt on some inverts when food source is not enough.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2018, 12:52 PM   #3
badbreath
Registered Member
 
badbreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930Reef View Post
New to the hobby, and oh man, is this awesome. Set up is a new 15 gal nano with a 15 gallon sump.

Every day I get up and see something new that has come out of live rock. First it was a Kenya Tree (I know they can be a PITA, but it's under control for now.) So cool to watch. Now I'm seeing the rock crawling with tiny inverts when lights go down. About 18 lbs of cured live rock are in at present. Will be adding more. Yesterday, I saw at least two of these worms. The pic attached is the biggest; about 1" long to give you an idea. Just a bristleworm? Just curious as I know some can be nasty. Best pic I could get. Sorry if no head shot. Any info and/or recommendations are appreciated. You folks rule. Thanks again!
Bristle worm...no big deal. Will eat leftovers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


badbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2018, 05:28 PM   #4
930Reef
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Chicago NW Suburbs
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbreath View Post
Bristle worm...no big deal. Will eat leftovers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2018, 05:29 PM   #5
930Reef
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Chicago NW Suburbs
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
It does looks like some type of bristle worm somehow (or maybe fireworm Iím no expert in hitchhikers since I got zero of them). If so, just be ware that they can grow quite large and might hunt on some inverts when food source is not enough.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:39 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.