Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2018, 07:57 PM   #1
foneman02
Registered Member

Hanna calcium orange testrr

Just received Hanna calcium tester. Confused on procedure to test calcium level. Step one says to add1 ml of reagent A then add deionized water to 10 ml Mark . I assume this is Rodi water, to zero out meter. Then remove curvette from meter. First of all can’t they say vial. Then remove cap and add 0.1ml of sample. Do they mean tank water? Can’t they say tank water. Am I understanding this correctly

foneman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 08:20 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

As far as I understand this meter, the sample must be diluted to 9 parts RO/DI and 1 part tank water. Then you can 0.1 ml of your diluted sample, and put it into the meter. The dilution causes a loss of accuracy and precision, which is one of the downsides of this meter.

Unread 02/12/2018, 04:05 AM   #3
foneman02
Registered Member

Thanks for getting back to me. Didn’t get chance to read your reply till this morning. Will attempt to run tests tonight after work and will compare against salifert test. Will post results.

foneman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 11:15 AM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, please let us know how well it works!

Unread 02/12/2018, 05:58 PM   #5
zachogden
Registered Member

Hanna has youtube videos for each of their meters that go through the test procedures step by step. I use them every time just to be sure.

zachogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 06:26 AM   #6
josephxsxn
Registered Member

If you got the latest HANNA Calcium kit it should have a 1ml syringe with a plastic tip, a 150ul pipette with a plastic tip, and a larger maybe 5ml plastic dropperish thing (cant recall name.)

You would take 1ml of reagent A the liquid into the 1ml plastic tip (its volumetric) and place it into the vial. Then fill the vial the rest of the way with RO/DI water to the 10ml mark.. Place into colorimeter and when you see it says C1 press. Remove tube from the colorimeter and take the 150ul pipette with tip and place so that its about 4 -5 inches into the sample water and press down to the FIRST resistance barrier on the pipette, then release and wait 5 seconds. Remove the pipette with the sample and place it into the test tube your using by pressing all the way down past the first resistance barrier and to the second.. Now add Reagent B, shake well for the duration (dont recall) and then wait 15 seconds for the bubbles to clear up and test.

This is pretty much how I do mine every time.

+1 to the vid idea, ill have to check them out.

josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote