Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2008, 10:35 PM   #251
bues0022
Registered Member

Joe- give me a call in the morning. I have a bit of research to do, and a honey-do list, but ya never know. I also need to pick your brain on clean-up crews.

bues0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2008, 01:39 AM   #252
lilred1995vette
Registered Member

WOW! thats a great looking 40 breeder!

lilred1995vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2008, 05:27 PM   #253
Apachie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
The flow is pretty much adequate for now. When everything grows in I am going to have to upgrade the closed loop pump. I will and up going with a dart on a 4-way. Maybe you saw my thread about drilling the bottom of a full tank. I am not going to do it right now, but when I get the money, I will empty it and change it around. It will be kinda like live for physics tank(but smaller of course) Hahn, I am pretty much in love with the lighting I went with. I've seen a lot of T5 only tanks, and I think my lighting pretty much blows it out of the water(pun intended). When I move, I might go up to a 58 gallon since it has the same footprint. I might have to upgrade to 250w mh though. Thanks for the advice and compliments.

What is a dart on a 4-way? hope everything works out.. i am getting plans to set up a 40 gallon, and i really like your penincila(spelling?) setup. can you get some pics. of your sump?

Apachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2008, 05:37 PM   #254
Apachie
Registered Member

what size pvc are you using now

Unread 01/23/2008, 12:32 AM   #255
BlakDuc
Fragger

Lilred, thanks

Apachie, a Dart is a pump made by Sequence with about 3800gph. A 4-way is a device made by oceansmotions that takes your input line and connects it to a plastic piece with a rotating drum and 4 holes around it. When the drum rotates, water goes to a different hole. This creates a more random flow in the tank.
http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/p...b5d1a540e43bc7

I am using a 3/4" return and 1" to 1.5" drains.

By putting the ball valve on the return and throttling it back, I have pretty much eliminated the micro bubbles! That makes me happy. Pics tomorrow.

Current Tank Info: IM Fusion 40
BlakDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2008, 12:40 PM   #256
BlakDuc
Fragger

Ok, here are some new pictures. As you can see, some things have grown out some. Enough chat, here are the pics.

There you go, I hope you enjoy.

Unread 01/23/2008, 03:26 PM   #257
Apachie
Registered Member

why dont you put the clowns in the tank?

Unread 01/23/2008, 10:55 PM   #258
BlakDuc
Fragger

They are very small and the trigger is a little bit aggressive. They are only 4 months old.

Unread 02/18/2008, 08:04 PM   #259
BlakDuc
Fragger

Long awaited update. New Aquascape!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By grandegixxer, shot with CYBERSHOT at 2008-02-18

Enjoy.

Unread 02/22/2008, 06:57 AM   #260
Hopeful Reefer
Premium Member

I like the new scaping...looks really cool...like the sweeping look from left to right...

Yellow Tang // Black & White Clown // Golden Head Goby
Blue-Green Chromis // Psychadellic Mandarin // Sebae Anemone

Current Tank Info: 75g w/ 29g sump/refugium, 250w 15k MH (x2), T5 39W (x2)
Hopeful Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 11:59 AM   #261
Ratkiller
Registered Member

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitly stick with the scape.

Current Tank Info: 120g glass, euro braced, half-in-wall, w/ 30g H sump & 20g L refugium
Ratkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 02:02 PM   #262
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by bues0022
Joe, I hope you didn't start replumbing your manifold yet. I had two thoughts for you...

First - if you do re-do the plumbing, I'd try to work your scwd into it. I can send you pictures of my mod so that the thing is accessible if it ever needs work.

Second - I'd highly recommend NOT using all 1/2" PVC. It will be a little smaller and sleeker - yes, but it's all hidden anyway. If you use all 1/2" you will have much higher flow restriction throughout. Without going into the fluid dynamics too much, think of this:

volumetric flow rate (GPH essentially) = velocity(V) * cross sectional area(A).

because of your pump, the GPH is fixed. So by decreasing A, the V will increase (navier-stokes continuity equation). Also, the resistive drag forces induced from the wall of the pipe increase as the velocity increases. Additionally, think of your pipe like a river. water right next to shore doesn't move that fast, but water in the middle moves faster. This is the boundary layer. With a smaller diameter pipe, the boundary layer has more of an effect on the flow. This resistive force in this case can be thought of as back pressure.

To sum up, smaller diameter pipe = higher back pressure. You are best off continuing to use the 3/4" for all the plumbing, and restrict down to a 1/2" at the nozzles. I believe they make T-fittings that are 3/4 in and out, but have a 1/2" T off the side. These would be perfect.

You will get the same flow rate total out of the nozzles, but by restricting the nozzles down you add a little resistance to flow, so the water will make it down to the end of your manifold. Remember, GPH = velocity*area. Restrict area and you'll get higher velocity.

I hope this all makes sense. If not let me know where I lost you and I'll explain it a little differently.
I'm sorry, your heart's in the right place but I don't believe this does make sense. Sure GPH will be velocity * cross sectional area. But does this mean that my 300 gph pump will supply more than twice as much gph if I switch from 1 inch to 2 inch tubing? No.

velocity * cross sectional area is only useful to measure the gph. It says nothing about creating gph.

While restricting the cross sectional area of the manifold supply will change the speed the water is flowing through any given slice of the manifold, it probably will have little if any impact on total water supplied through it.

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 03:30 PM   #263
JillNairn
Registered Member

Just read through the entire thread. Awesome tank. I really like the size of the 40 breeder.

Founder - MASUAE.org
JillNairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 07:56 AM   #264
BlakDuc
Fragger

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have moved a couple of things around that kept falling over, but the tank looks really nice right now. I have sitting in my garage right now, 2x 400w ballasts. I am going to replace 1 of the 175's with a 400w 10k and the other one will go over the 10g frag tank I have planned with a 20k bulb.

The closed loop discussion is pointless. It has been totally abandoned. I took it offline and replaced it with 2 modded Tunze 6025's. Flow is better by quite a bit now. I will probably add 1 more 6025 though.

Unread 02/24/2008, 04:57 PM   #265
BlakDuc
Fragger

I was thinking about the flow today and here is what I am considering. I have a flow accelerator eductor sitting in a drawer. I think I am going to take the spray bar off of the return pump and put the eductor on it. Then I will throttle the return plumbing line so that it doesn't disrupt the sand at the other end of the tank. I am going to do this tonight when I get home. Any thoughts?

Unread 02/24/2008, 08:10 PM   #266
nurjrk
Registered Member

Awesome looking tank, great job. How are your two clowns doing in the sump? Still around?
Jeff

nurjrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 08:59 PM   #267
BlakDuc
Fragger

Yeah, they are still hanging out down there in the breeders net. I set up a N-C 12 for my wife and I am waiting for it to stabilize and then the clowns will be going in there.

Unread 02/26/2008, 10:35 AM   #268
jmart55
Registered Member

Great setup, I love the look of the tile lip around the tank. Bummer that you have the powerheads, I know you wanted nothing in the tank. It might be too late but what about using the SCWD mod you made and running two eductors? Nice work, looking foward to pics as it grows out.

Current Tank Info: 125reef in progress, a few cichlid tanks
jmart55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2008, 08:22 PM   #269
BlakDuc
Fragger

The SCWD mod wasn't working right. The drum inside it kept getting caught on the outer housing. That was the issue with it. I messed with it to the point that I just took it off and got the Tunze's It doesn't look too bad at all really.

Thanks for the compliments, I like the shelf too except when the wife and kids decide to use it to store all of their crap on it.

Unread 02/26/2008, 09:59 PM   #270
worshrag
Registered Member

i just got that same size tank. upgrading from 29 gal. it seems really short. i like it though

worshrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2008, 10:48 PM   #271
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Congrats on the setup...Taking your time pays off!!!

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2008, 07:49 AM   #272
BlakDuc
Fragger

Ok, I did a little super-charging last night. I put the eductor on the return outlet and it has actually helped quite a bit. Also, the most drastic change I made is replacing the 2 175w MH with a 400w mh with a Reeflux 10k bulb. It is a little bit brighter.

Unread 03/04/2008, 08:35 PM   #273
BlakDuc
Fragger

Everything in the tank is doing great! Everything is adapting well to the new light as well as the increase in flow. I will take some pics when I get a chance and post them up. I got some new Zoas and a really nice acro colony this weekend, and they are doing well. Stay tuned for the pics.

Unread 03/05/2008, 12:15 AM   #274
jeff209
Registered Member

you made me hate my tank

-Jeff

Current Tank Info: 120 in the works
jeff209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 02:07 AM   #275
Snowboarda42
Registered Member

If its brighter, lets see some pics!

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64

Current Tank Info: 40B, 20L Sump/Fuge, Mag 9.5 Return, 2x Hydor Koralia #2's, 150W 14K HQI, 139W T-5, Euro-Reef RS-80P Mesh Modded, 40LB LR, 80LB LS, 54x Turnover, Mostly SPS, Some Softys Too.
Snowboarda42 is offline   Reply With Quote