Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2010, 09:22 PM   #1
aquadonkey
Registered Member

shrimp/goby pair timing

Hi everyone.
I'm going to get a YWG and red-banded pistol shrimp.
Do I need to get them at the same time for them to pair up?
Does this make a difference?
Thanks!

Also.... does the kind of pistol shrimp matter for the pairing? I just picked one I thought was pretty.

aquadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2010, 11:22 PM   #2
aquadonkey
Registered Member

Bump. Anyone?

aquadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2010, 11:31 PM   #3
XtremeFromHell
Registered Member

hmm.. i wonder the same.. tagging along

XtremeFromHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2010, 11:59 PM   #4
jer77
Phish Lover

A Yellow watchmen goby is a good choice and has a decent chance to pair up with a pistol shrimp. They are one of the small to medium sized shrimp gobies, but are very common in aquaria and tend to adapt well. The pistol shrimp, Alpheus randalli, is also a very good candidate for pairing with a goby, especially the smaller ones. Alpheus bellulus, or tiger pistol, is slightly larger and could also work well with the YWG.

To answer your main question, there is no guarantee they will pair up, but in my experience they usually will within a week or two after they are both introduced to your tank. It doesn't matter which is introduced first as they should eventually find each other. Once they do its up to them to figure it out. It is very common for both gobies and pistol shrimp to just disappear for up to weeks and even months. I have thought many gobies I've had had just died or jumped out and found them months later. But to introduce a goby make sure the lights are off and the tank is covered. The goby may jump out at many times during its introduction and pairing. To lessen the chances of the goby and shrimp fighting make sure they are fed well before trying to pair. Then introduce the shrimp to your tank so it builds a cave. Then add the goby and hope they like each other. If they don't you will see them fighting or the goby won't go near the shrimp and may jump out so cover the tank. I have found the best way to improve the chances of pairing is to lessen the goby's stress when introducing it and to make sure they both are well fed.

120g 5 Year Old Reef w/ SPS, BTA, Zoos & some Softies. 40g Frag Tank. 40g Sump. Super Reef Octopus XP 3000 External Cone Skimmer. 250W Radiums. TaoTronics LED. PanWorld 200PS w/SQWD
jer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 12:10 AM   #5
jer77
Phish Lover

Just a couple more useful points:

Pistol shrimp need to have larger grain sand or crushed coral even to build a proper burrow. They like to dig underneath rocks to, but still need the support that the larger grains provide.

Pistol shrimp are known to be scared easily. When they get spooked they retreat into their burrow. They also snap their big claw too. This makes a pop noise, but it also can be very deadly to whatever gets in its way. The shrimp doesn't even see what its doing. I had a pistol shrimp tear apart a sand sifting star, a firefish, nassarius snails and a shrimp goby before. So, its wise to keep all inverts and small fish away.

120g 5 Year Old Reef w/ SPS, BTA, Zoos & some Softies. 40g Frag Tank. 40g Sump. Super Reef Octopus XP 3000 External Cone Skimmer. 250W Radiums. TaoTronics LED. PanWorld 200PS w/SQWD
jer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 01:57 AM   #6
Tylt33
Registered Member

There's an issue of Coral magazine on the symbiosis between pistols and gobies, worth reading. Basically it's a roll of the dice no matter how you slice it....

Tylt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 09:22 AM   #7
plateboy3293
Registered Member

I had a goby and pistol pair up in a 110 gallon tank same as what you are planning add them together and release them on the same side of the tank. Take them both to the bottom of the tank so they don't swim around and not find eachother. Also if you have some snail shells put them in a pile where you want the pistol and goby to live and most likely thats where he will go. This happened in my case no gurantee.

Current Tank Info: 155 gallon bow
plateboy3293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 09:39 AM   #8
jb61264
Registered Member

You can many times find these already paired up at a LFS...thats how I got mine

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon SPS reef/55 gallon sump/6x54W TEK T5HO/Reef Octopus 200 Extreme Skimmer/Reef Octopus Single Chamber Calcium Reactor/RKL
jb61264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Firefish76
Registered Member

I also got mine paired up from LFS, but was told the chances of them pairing up when put in the tank would be pretty good if I couldn't find a pair

Firefish76 is offline   Reply With Quote