Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2010, 07:48 PM   #1
alleny87
Registered Member

Question New Tank, but low PH cant get it up, and no coralline growth yet

My question is how can i raise my ph from 7.8 and promote the coralline algae growth?

I have a New tank that has been up and running for about 2 months now, Its a 46gal Corner. I have about a 2 1/2 inch sand bed, 20lbs of live rock, a protein skimmer, a uv sterilizer integrated into my canister filter, but i have yet to use the uv sterilizer. The tank cycled within a week i added 3 damsels then a month later a percula clown fish, and yellow watchman goby. Recently added chocolate chip starfish, and cleaner shrimp but my shrimp only lasted overnight then sat there motionless at the bottom. Despite adding Kent dKH buffer(recommended by lfs) I cannot get my ph to rise above 7.8, nor have i began to have any coralline algae growth, the rocks has several purple dime sized dots but they have not grown since iv gotten them.
Any suggestions? Iv tested the water for PH, nitrates, nitrates, and ammonia. but not calcium or other things. My tank temp fluctuates from 78.8- 81.2 on some days, i live in south texas so heat is always a challenge here.

I was hoping to move onto some corals once the tank is better established and i can save up for the lighting.

alleny87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2010, 07:54 PM   #2
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

Whats the total pH swing over a 24 hour period? If its not much, don't worry about it. Don't get caught up chasing the numbers.

A lite fuge on a reverse schedule will help with night time swings. Also, dripping kalk can help. But there's more to it than that.

I swing from 7.4-8.3 with no problems in a flourishing SPS tank. Not ideal, but no detrimental either.

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
SWINGRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2010, 08:00 PM   #3
vwtanker
Registered Member

Get tests for Alk, Cal, and Mag. If the alk is low then maintaining ph could be more difficult. The cal, mag, and alk when maintained at the proper levels should help the coralline algae grow. Upgraded lighting will help as well.

vwtanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Reefman29
Registered Member

Coralline normally doesn't grow right away. It will needs stability, light, calcium and a mature system. Patience

Reefman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2010, 08:20 PM   #5
dwculp
Registered Member

How is the ventilation around the tank and in the room the tank is in? Excessive intake of CO2 from a non-ventilated or poorly ventilated area can lead to chronically low pH.

I had the same issue and determined that the vent fan in my classroom was not properly working. Once that was fixed I never had a pH issue.

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2010, 09:34 PM   #6
reefworm
Registered Member

here's a great resource from the chemistry forum. Scroll down until you see your problem area.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=102605

Current Tank Info: 29 gal. reef/assist with 75 gal. at the school
reefworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2010, 10:52 PM   #7
mikimis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwculp View Post
How is the ventilation around the tank and in the room the tank is in? Excessive intake of CO2 from a non-ventilated or poorly ventilated area can lead to chronically low pH.

I had the same issue and determined that the vent fan in my classroom was not properly working. Once that was fixed I never had a pH issue.
Vent in the classroom was not working?! LOL Any students ever pass out?!

mikimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2010, 10:53 PM   #8
alleny87
Registered Member

If only tested it once at night and it only went up to 7.9.
The tank sits in a corner where an ac vent is aimed at the tank hood so it can help with evaporate cooling. I left the ac off one day and came home to a tank at 83.5. at the time i only had the damsels and clown and they seemed ok with it.

Any recommendations on test kits then for alk. mag. and calcium. at the moment i have the aquarium pharmaceuticals master marine test kit, which has PH. Nitrate Nitrite, and Ammonia.

As far as lighting im planning on upgrading to a led pendant next month, for the meantime i have basic florescent left over from my freshwater setup.

as for a kalk drip iv heard of it but no experience and

alleny87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2010, 07:22 AM   #9
Chris27
Registered Member

Do you have a cover on the tank? How about some powerheads breaking up the surface of the water?

Granted it's summer in TX right now, but if you come across a cooler day, leave the windows open in the room with the tank, and see if it goes up.

You could also run the skimmer intake line from the volute on the pump outside to draw in nice fresh air.

Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Chris27
Registered Member

And BTW, for test kits, the aquarium pharm KH and Calcium tests would suit your needs well right now. For Mag, you're going to want to get a Salifert or another similar high end kit, there are no cheap ones....

Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coralline coral growth, low ph