Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/21/2015, 09:11 AM   #1
laga77
Registered Member

Seahorses and corals

I would like to add some soft corals or Gorgonian corals to my Seahorse tank. My main concern is the temperature. The tank stays around 71F, so I am wondering what corals people are keeping with their Seahorses that can tolerate low temperatures? I have Leather and Xenia corals along with three different types of Photosynthetic Gorgonian in my reefs tanks. Anybody keeping these with their Seahorses at this temperature?

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2015, 10:32 AM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

Yes, I am having good luck with all those coral. My tank is set for 70-72 degrees but even goes to 68-69 at night. About the only coral that isn't doing well is a green slimer but perhaps the tank is too dirty for its liking, but even it is not dead.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2015, 01:29 PM   #3
laga77
Registered Member

Nice looking tank! Thanks for the photo. Not including the Mushrooms, I have the same corals in my other tanks. Now that I know it is possible I will start slowly moving corals into the Seahorse tank.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
Unread 12/21/2015, 08:26 PM   #4
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laga77 View Post
Nice looking tank! Thanks for the photo. Not including the Mushrooms, I have the same corals in my other tanks. Now that I know it is possible I will start slowly moving corals into the Seahorse tank.
I did acclimate them slowly.

Unread 12/24/2015, 11:20 AM   #5
el aguila
Registered Member

Many montis will handle lower temps better than most SPS type corals.

el aguila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2015, 02:18 PM   #6
laga77
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, I think after the holidays I will start importing the corals.

Unread 01/11/2016, 09:07 PM   #7
extendedmango
Registered Member

Question Corals

Hey guys, hoping to get seahorses in the next 6 months and was wondering if there were any recommended corals that will provide hitching posts. I have a redsea reefer 250 (65 gallon) with 2 ai primes and my tank is turned over 10 times an hour.

Last edited by extendedmango; 01/11/2016 at 09:20 PM.
extendedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 05:24 AM   #8
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extendedmango View Post
Hey guys, hoping to get seahorses in the next 6 months and was wondering if there were any recommended corals that will provide hitching posts. I have a redsea reefer 250 (65 gallon) with 2 ai primes and my tank is turned over 10 times an hour.
That is about what my tank turns over, maybe just a little more. Even with that much turn over I still have small rio powerheads to keep food and detritus up off the sand so it can be dealt with in the sump.

My seahorses like a colt coral, (which I think is really funny) I have. They also like gorgonian and macro algae.

Unread 01/12/2016, 12:52 PM   #9
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laga77 View Post
I would like to add some soft corals or Gorgonian corals to my Seahorse tank. My main concern is the temperature. The tank stays around 71F, so I am wondering what corals people are keeping with their Seahorses that can tolerate low temperatures? I have Leather and Xenia corals along with three different types of Photosynthetic Gorgonian in my reefs tanks. Anybody keeping these with their Seahorses at this temperature?
What species of seahorses are you keeping at 71 degrees? Unless they are temperate species most will be ok a little warmer. i kept my H. erectus at 72-74 degrees with great success. In the summer the temps were even higher and I was able to raise them through 6 generations.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg E4sale.01.jpg (65.7 KB, 39 views)
BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 03:07 PM   #10
laga77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1949 View Post
What species of seahorses are you keeping at 71 degrees? Unless they are temperate species most will be ok a little warmer. i kept my H. erectus at 72-74 degrees with great success. In the summer the temps were even higher and I was able to raise them through 6 generations.
They are H. Erectus. Tank is staying 71.5-72.5. They seem happy like this.

Unread 01/12/2016, 04:44 PM   #11
extendedmango
Registered Member

[QUOTE=vlangel;24246631]That is about what my tank turns over, maybe just a little more. Even with that much turn over I still have small rio powerheads to keep food and detritus up off the sand so it can be dealt with in the sump.

My seahorses like a colt coral, (which I think is really funny) I have. They also like gorgonian and macro algae.[/

Do you think a devils finger coral would work well for them or is it too thick to hitch to?

Unread 01/12/2016, 07:35 PM   #12
vlangel
Registered Member

[QUOTE=extendedmango;24248173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
That is about what my tank turns over, maybe just a little more. Even with that much turn over I still have small rio powerheads to keep food and detritus up off the sand so it can be dealt with in the sump.

My seahorses like a colt coral, (which I think is really funny) I have. They also like gorgonian and macro algae.[/

Do you think a devils finger coral would work well for them or is it too thick to hitch to?
I kind of think they could hitch to a devils finger but not sure. It is worth a try.

Unread 01/12/2016, 09:11 PM   #13
extendedmango
Registered Member

[QUOTE=vlangel;24248551]
Quote:

I kind of think they could hitch to a devils finger but not sure. It is worth a try.
Okay thanks

Unread 01/23/2016, 03:14 PM   #14
chimmike
oxygen abuser

Quote:
you should not keep seahorses in the tank with all the other fish you have. Seahorses should be in a species-only tank.

clown, blenny, and melanurus wrasse will eat all the food you put in there before the seahorses get any.

chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 02:10 PM   #15
extendedmango
Registered Member

I won't be getting them for a while ( possibly a year) because I want to have lots of hitching posts grown in. Right now my tank is mostly ployps, green stars and some mushroom anemones. I got a purple gorgonian as a frag( it's only 2 inches tall) and will be getting a toadstool. As for the fish I don't know anything about the wrasse or blennys compatibility but I'm certain that if you don't have pair of ocelarus clowns they won't be as aggressive. I have learned everything I know from Pete Giwonja and my LFS owner who has a pair of the rarest seahorses in America who okayed the purchase of my two fish to be housed with seahorses. Thanks for the warning though

Unread 01/27/2016, 03:29 PM   #16
rayjay
Registered Member

You can use http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml as a general guide for tankmates. Sometimes exceptions work out and other times they don't.
Personally I've not had luck with other fish in with my seahorses, but a lot of other people have, even with some fish not recommended.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 05:30 PM   #17
extendedmango
Registered Member

Seahorses and corals

Have you heard anything about melanerous, because that's the main fish I was unsure of compatibility wise

Unread 01/27/2016, 07:20 PM   #18
rayjay
Registered Member

I haven't heard anything specific to that species, but the threat levels for the wrasses shown run from 2 to 4 but I would think the melanerous being fairly timid would be at the low end.
You might have to post that query on the "org" where there are a greater number of people viewing that may give a better chance of an answer.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 07:38 PM   #19
extendedmango
Registered Member

Okay thanks for the help