Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/22/2011, 05:16 PM   #1
tylersarah
Registered Member

AI SOl Blue success stories...

So I know there are many mixed opinions on the AI sol blues. Including myself, I know many have struggled with bleaching corals as well as other problems. I have had my units up and running on a newly setup tank for about three months and have lost many frags to bleaching as well as some LPS that we moved from our previous tank. For anyone in this hobby it is frustrating when you invest so much time, money and effort into maintaining a successful reef environment and get poor results. That said, I have taken a couple different approaches to rectifying the loss to my corals due to too much light, and I have yet to come up with a solid solution. My current attempt is poster later.

My water parameters are stable and that is clearly not the problem. It is simply that the AI Sol blue's are PAR monsters and need to be used on our tanks with caution as well as monitored constantly to achieve the sweet spot. Additionaly the spectrum produced is not perfect for specific corals but the majority of SPS and LPS corals can be successfully kept under the AI's without T5 supplementation as long as they are placed correctly in your tank.

So this thread is an attempt to give both myself and anyone else some ray of hope that our large investment, that we were all so excited about at the time, was a good investment.

I know that there is a thread on here about the settings people are running with thier AI's but many of them don't list wether or not those settings were successful etc.

I'd like to hear from folks that have had success in maintaining their reef under the AI Sol Blues. Maybe post a FTS or two for inspiration.

1.What size tank?
2.How many units?
3.How high above the water line are you?
4.What were your initial settings on the lights along with your schedule?
5.Did you over estimate and have to dial your lights back?
6.How long have you been running the lights?
7.New setup tank or previously set up (if previously set up, what were you running?)
8. 70degree optics or 40 degree?
9.Any other information that may be vital.

After much tweaking with no success as well as some cyano and other algae breakouts I have shut my lights off completely for 4 days and will be "starting over" so to speak. My current setup and new schedule:

120G Oceanic Tech. 48x24x24

2 Units running long ways

9" AWL

Time - W / B / RB - Ramp time

1PM - 7 / 15 / 15 - 30min
2:30PM - 10 / 12 / 12 - 30min
4PM - 15 / 20 / 20 - 30min
5PM - 28 / 32 / 32 - 30min
6:30PM - 20 / 25 / 25 - 30min
8:00PM - 10 / 12 / 12 - 30min
9:30PM - 0 / 2 / 2 - 30min

I recently switched out the 40 degree optics to the 70 degrees, I have not been running them long enough to know if they are helping.

Tank was a newly set up tank with some LPS that came from our previous tank. All SPS that were added were new.

I've been running my lights for three months. I have never had the settings dialed above 40 percent on the highest setting. I'd also like to note that I have had 3 different SPS frags an inch off the substrate and they had bleached under my previous settings.

I will continue to update my findings with my current settings or any changes that I make I will also post photos of how things are progressing wether they are good or bad.

tylersarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2011, 08:13 PM   #2
NatureNerd
Registered Member

When I have a little more time, I will try to answer all 9 questions listed above. I find it stunning that your SPS's bleached in your setup at such low power.

I have three Sol Super Blues over my 48" 75g. They are stock optics. I have them 6" over the surface because of an existing canopy. They are hung like yours, parallel to the front glass. I have corals on the sand and others in the top 5" of the tank. I started at 30% or so all three colors. I now run at 60-70% levels. I have a pale but growing Birdnest but all other SPS's are flourishing. I don't have LPS's so I can't comment on these. Do you have pictures of the bleached corals? We may be able to learn something from looking at them.

Unread 12/22/2011, 09:53 PM   #3
NatureNerd
Registered Member

Here are some growth shots to give you some hope...

Hoke Stag Acro about 3 months before I switched to AI Sol Super Blue LED's:

Here it is today 9 months after the switch:

Green acro in May this year:

Today:

I think this is a A. plana in May right before my switch:

And today:

Last edited by NatureNerd; 12/22/2011 at 10:01 PM.
NatureNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2011, 10:09 PM   #4
NatureNerd
Registered Member

My little avatar buddy will give you some scale on the stag image. Look to the far right and you'll see my tailspot blenny that is not quite 2" long.

Unread 12/22/2011, 11:35 PM   #5
cassklar
Registered Member

Just curious what your settings are for your w b rb your corals look great I have two over a 72 gallon been up since june

cassklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 12:04 AM   #6
NatureNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassklar View Post
Just curious what your settings are for your w b rb your corals look great I have two over a 72 gallon been up since june
My peak lighting is W=74, B=60, RB=60. In the morning, I ramp to that in two hours and then hold it for 8 hrs, 7:30pm. That is followed by about an hour to just deep blue (1,10,10). I hold this for about an hour and then I ramp to off in 15 minutes.

This does not mimic nature nor does it follow any real logic or reason. It just allows me to enjoy my tank at full brightness for a few hours after I get him from work and have dinner. I think there are many, many, right answers to the question of what a good lighting schedule is.

One note, for a while I tried higher power levels, in the 90% range, and corals did start to grow pale and maybe bleach out. I ramped very slowly at 4-5% per week from 30% to these higher values. Eventually I realized, with help from people here on RC, that I had gone too far with the power. For my tank, 60 to 70% seems to work well. I came from supplemented 10k MH's, so my tank was used to pretty high power levels.

Unread 12/23/2011, 12:20 AM   #7
cassklar
Registered Member

Is there a reason why u use less blue during the day

cassklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 12:21 AM   #8
NatureNerd
Registered Member

Okay, to the questions:

1.What size tank? 75g, 48"

2.How many units? 3

3.How high above the water line are you? 6" because I could not get them up higher.

4.What were your initial settings on the lights along with your schedule? 30, 25, 25 (W,B,RB). Same schedule as described in my previous post.

5.Did you over estimate and have to dial your lights back? Yes, eventually but not until I had them up way high ~90%. I upped the power 4-5% per week until I reached 90%. I thought that was where I was supposed to be running them. Ok, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

6.How long have you been running the lights? Since April 1, 2011. Almost 9 months.

7.New setup tank or previously set up (if previously set up, what were you running?) Very old tank. Had been set up 16yrs. A tank crash took out my acros, left my LTA, and a couple of softies. I had just started a few SPS frags three months or so before the switch to Sol's. Before, I had supplemented 10k MH's.

8. 70degree optics or 40 degree? Stock lenses, a mix of 70's and 40's.

9.Any other information that may be vital. One of my bonsai's is still a little bit pale but starting to get its color back. It is taking months to recover. My Ponape Birdnest is really pale but growing nicely and has good PE at night. It has never looked as good since the switch. I am hoping that in a few months it will get its color back. The key word here is months. Change something and then wait. It make take months to see how it works.

EDIT - I checked my notes and I started the lights in the 40-50% range when I first got them. I remembered incorrectly, sorry.

Last edited by NatureNerd; 12/23/2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason: correction
Unread 12/23/2011, 12:28 AM   #9
NatureNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassklar View Post
Is there a reason why u use less blue during the day
Yes, but it is just me. I am always trying to create what I remember seeing/experiencing while diving and snorkeling over shallow (less than 10 feet deep) coral reefs in Australia and Hawaii. It is much more white and yellow than anyone's tank, with lots of shimmer. That is why I previously used 10k MH's. I know I am in the minority here. I would like the Sol's even better if they had neutral white or warm white Cree's instead of the cool white ones. I just like how it looks.

Last edited by NatureNerd; 12/23/2011 at 12:51 AM.
Unread 12/23/2011, 07:45 AM   #10
kc350twin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersarah View Post

120G Oceanic Tech. 48x24x24

2 Units running long ways

9" AWL

Time - W / B / RB - Ramp time

1PM - 7 / 15 / 15 - 30min
2:30PM - 10 / 12 / 12 - 30min
4PM - 15 / 20 / 20 - 30min
5PM - 28 / 32 / 32 - 30min
6:30PM - 20 / 25 / 25 - 30min
8:00PM - 10 / 12 / 12 - 30min
9:30PM - 0 / 2 / 2 - 30min

Those numbers are way to low to grow much from my experience. I have a 45 cube 24x24x18 with on SOL blue 10" above the water Stock optics. My max 9 hour numbers are

Noon-9pm the rest are ramp up and down. total time 10-11pm
W 89%
B 100%
RB 100%

I don't have any pics with me at work. I post later when I get home.

Kc3

I grow sps like crazy.

Unread 12/23/2011, 08:00 AM   #11
OneReef
Reef Guru

I still propose that they are not bleaching due to too much light, but getting way pale from lack of light. Your intensity settings are way low for being 3 months in. I'm 3 months in and at 70% for 3 hours and 55% for 4 hours. And adding 70* optics just makes it worse. More spread and less penetration. I think AI got it right with their mix of 40/70* optics if you use the recommended # of units. I know with 2 units over a 4' tank you are trying to spread the light more, but you need to ramp up the intensity to make up for the lack of penetration. There is no way that your coral are bleaching from too much light in your current setup and timings. I have the exact lights you do, the same tank dimensions, the same months they have been on the tank, I have one extra unit over my tank, and kept the factory 40/70* mix of optics, but our lighting schedules could not be more different. It has too be too little light.

Last edited by OneReef; 12/23/2011 at 08:09 AM.
OneReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 08:02 AM   #12
ghostman
Registered Member

My story is a recent success. Until recently, I was a bit disappointed with my selection of the sols, as my SPS seemed to respond negatively to them. I think there was an adjustment period, and now I am very happy with the results; color, growth, and operation. I have to give props to NatureNerd, as he answered several pms with me and encouraged me to bump my levels up. His advice was right on, and my tank has never looked better!!!!
1. 120g rimless with star fire
2. 4 Sol Blues running side by side with controller
3. 12" AWL mounted on rails with hanging kit
4. Initial settings were 25/30/35. I like 14K to 20K look, and this seemed right to me.
5. I was careful not to overdue the light after much reading on RC. In fact, most of my startup issues most likely came from not ramping up fast enough.
6. Running Sols for 6+ months.
7. Previous setup was with Tek T5 x 8 54W bulbs. Mostly Blue+, 1 daylight, and 1 Fiji purple.
8. All 70* optics, only because I bought them that way from a previous owner. I have the 40* optics, and might use them on the outer edges if I have the time.
9. My LPS and zoos have loved the switch from day 1. Color and growth of acans, chalices, and zoos have been great and explosive. SPS seemed stunned at first, with little growth and some dulling of tissues. Ca and Alk were not being consumed as quickly so my dosing slowed down. After bumping up my lighting schedule to around 50/50/60, color and growth came back very quickly. Ca and alk consumption is greater than previous. Colors are great, especially if you do not overdo the blue end of the spectrum. Rainbow acans look better than ever, SPS look better and "pop" more. Chalices have more diversity in color, pinks and oranges look brighter and more defined.

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 10:39 AM   #13
tylersarah
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Also "OneReef" thanks for taking the time to answer my PM's.

And "Naturenerd" thank you for the detailed info. This is the kind of feedback that I am after. I know taking time to post all of that is a lot.

I'd still like to keep this thread going. I will continue to update as well. Maybe it can offer some help to others who have problems with their AI's

My initial thoughts were that my intensities were too low. But when I posted a thread asking that question people were telling me that I was nuts and corals don't bleach from not enough light.

Unread 12/23/2011, 12:00 PM   #14
kc350twin
Registered Member

I agree with keeping the thread going. There is a lot of AI bashing lately.

Unread 12/23/2011, 03:13 PM   #15
tylersarah
Registered Member

So I took the advice and increased the intensity to 40 / 40 / 40 on the highest setting but it will only be that high for 1.5 hours of the schedule. Slowly i'll modify the time and intensity baased on the results.

Unread 12/23/2011, 04:44 PM   #16
Reefer1225
Registered Member

I want to add to the thread as I have some success and some problems with my AI Sol Blues. To answer your questions:

1.What size tank? 90 Gallon Reef Ready AGA, 48x18x24

2.How many units? - 2 Sol Blue Units running parallel to front glass

3.How high above the water line are you? - 8'' AWL (Under a canopy, so restricted in raising it any higher)

Started at peak intensity maxing at 30W 40B 40RB in May 2011. Today, peaks at 60W 70B 70RB.

5.Did you over estimate and have to dial your lights back? Yes. At one point I was close to 70-80W and got bleaching of my corals near the top of my tank. Dialed back to 60W range.

6.How long have you been running the lights? Since May 2011 (7 months)

7.New setup tank or previously set up (if previously set up, what were you running?)
New Set Up. Only ran on AI Sol Blues.

8. 70degree optics or 40 degree? Stock Optics of 70 degree and 40 Degree

9.Any other information that may be vital.
I have bleached a purple polyped birdnest, tri-color valida, and sunset montipora. All the bleaching was done after I thought was adequate light acclimation moving it from the bottom to the top half of the tank. Any corals that I put up top will possibly bleach depending on position. My bleached corals were closer beneath the inner 40 degree optics. I am guessing that the 40 degree optics are just to focused and strong. The problem is the corals that are getting light indirectly from the 70 degree optics are not getting enough light because they tend to brown out or not grow at all. My fastest growing corals are below the 40 degree optics. So, if I raise the intensity so that the corals getting light from the 70 optics get higher par, it will cook the corals under the 40 degree optics. So, I hypothesize that I am having coverage issues. It is just so hard to dial in the correct settings and coral placement is crucial with AI Sol Blues because the spread is not even. I am now considering getting another 2 units and mounting them side by side as they are intended to get more even coverage front to back, and then lowering my intensity. I am not sure if this makes any sense. All I know is that I am still learning how to use them correctly.

Reefer1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 05:03 PM   #17
tylersarah
Registered Member

Nice addition Reefer1225...thanks for sharing your experience.

Naturenerd, your photos and success with the AI's is probably the best i've seen in my research. Those growth shots are the ray of hope I was looking for!

I can only hope that my luck will turn around with my setup.

Unread 12/23/2011, 06:23 PM   #18
NatureNerd
Registered Member

Patience is really need here. Move slowly and watch your corals. Also, try to post a picture of one of the bleached corals. The way it has faded may give the people here on RC additional hints as to the problem. Here is some more inspiration:

Undata in May this year, small 1" X 1" piece under heavy blue light at the end of the day when my Sols are ramping down to blue:

And today it is 4.5" X 5.5" in size at peak noon lighting (not the best picture, I rushed it) :

Good growth and corals are looking healthy in other ways too, including PE:

Unread 12/23/2011, 08:29 PM   #19
tylersarah
Registered Member

Here are my before and after shots....unfortunately they are the opposite of what "naturenerd" posted

Unread 12/23/2011, 08:33 PM   #20
chadfarmer
Premium Member

1.What size tank? 200 MARINELAND Deep dimension
2.How many units? 4 sol blues
3.How high above the water line are you? 10 inches
90/90/90

start at 2 1/2 hours dimming to 75/75/75
1/2 hour dimming to 80/80/80
1/2 hour dimming to 90/90/90
90/90/90 runs for 2 hours
1/2 hour dimming to 80/80/80
1/2 hour dimming to 75/75/75
2 1/2 hours dimming to 0/0/0
5.Did you over estimate and have to dial your lights back? dialed them back from 100/100/100 becuase silly to run them at 100%
6.How long have you been running the lights? since 9/13/11
7.New setup tank or previously set up (if previously set up, what were you running?) was running 2-250watt metal halides in lumenbrite 3 large reflectors
8. 70degree optics or 40 degree? 70 and 40 degree optics
9.Any other information that may be vital. i run 2 t5s super actinic because i already own them-- on for 7 hours

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal RR,ATB medium, 4 AI blue sol,230 LBS LIVE ROCK, no sand , 40 GAL sump, airstar1800, 3 tunze 6105 1- 6205 1-6305, Geo 818, profilux3ex with toys
chadfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 08:35 PM   #21
chadfarmer
Premium Member

[QUOTE=tylersarah;19661881]Here are my before and after shots....unfortunately they are the opposite of what "naturenerd" posted

all those corals look bleached, more info about your tank

placment of corals (low, high)

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal RR,ATB medium, 4 AI blue sol,230 LBS LIVE ROCK, no sand , 40 GAL sump, airstar1800, 3 tunze 6105 1- 6205 1-6305, Geo 818, profilux3ex with toys
Unread 12/23/2011, 09:56 PM   #22
tylersarah
Registered Member

The Montiporas are left and right center and about midway in the tank. The birdsnest is top center and was directly under a 40 degree optic about 4" below the water line at the tips.

The Encrusting Monti was a deep rusty red color when we got it and the Green Monti was a nice deep green. Now the encrusting is almost all white and covered in algae and the green Monti is bright white.

Unread 12/23/2011, 10:18 PM   #23
chadfarmer
Premium Member

Move all those corals to the bottom, did u acclimate them to the new light

I have all my montipora on the bottom to low in my tank

Unread 12/23/2011, 11:34 PM   #24
gaeus
Registered Member

Is it possible to have the same problem with the AI Sol White?

gaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2011, 01:54 AM   #25
NatureNerd
Registered Member

Before the switch, you did have healthy SPS corals, right? Are those Monti's new or did you have them before the change to LED's? Even right at the surface, I have a hard time believing they were bleached by too much light. Your power settings are so low. Yet that birdnest looks like a classic bleaching. There are visible polyps but no zooanthellia left.

Is there a possibility that due to a firmware error, or operator error, what you think you have set for power levels is not what you are getting out of the lights? Your description of the other corals sound like they are dead, not just bleached. Covered with algae and bright white sounds like they are gone.

The pictures are heartbreaking. I can imagine how frustrating this must be. I don't get it. Our tanks are similar in size. Yours is bigger. I have three units, you have two. My lights are hung closer to the water than yours and started at a higher power level. I have the stock optics so I should have worse spotlighting than you. I have corals 4-5" from the surface and I did not put them lower in the tank to get them acclimated. I have monti's six inches from the surface. Yet, your corals are suffering mine are thriving. This doesn't make sense. We have to be missing something here.