Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Phixman
Registered Member

Hitchhiker Starfish?

So I was going about my day , moved a hammer coral down since it was getting too much light, and noticed a smudge on a skimmer that had previously been somewhere else in the morning, I was like lol. Anyways, I looked closer and looked like Asterina starfish, I called the cops and the two suspects were arrested and taken into custody for questioning. Now, I think I got them as hitchhikers from some coral I recently bought, but I don't know how they got in my tank, I dip all my corals for 15 minutes. I'm sure there are more in my tank, I haven't seen any coral damage. Do you guys think these are good/bad? I will post some images in a second...

Phixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 04:56 PM   #2
Phixman
Registered Member

Test

Unread 01/17/2018, 07:00 PM   #3
Phixman
Registered Member

I know one of you know! lol

Unread 01/17/2018, 07:34 PM   #4
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Looks like an astrina to me... I'm pretty sure they are harmless... I've got a bunch of little ones

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 09:49 PM   #5
Phixman
Registered Member

I've recently noticed some zoans closed, and an sps dying, do you think they are the cause?

Unread 01/23/2018, 05:53 AM   #6
ReefNomad
Registered Member

With asterina, you can normally tell if they're eating something they're not supposed to because the photosynthetic algae shows through their skin. If they're grazing heavily on coralline, you'll see pink or purple in them under normal white light. If they're grazing on SPS, you should see specks of the coral color showing up in the skin of the star.

ReefNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 12:01 PM   #7
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixman View Post
I've recently noticed some zoans closed, and an sps dying, do you think they are the cause?
It's definitely possible and believe me your not the first one to ask that question. Being that nobody can really tell without a doubt the good ones from the bad ones it would probably be in your best interest to remove them all no matter what.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote