Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2018, 01:34 AM   #1
Hawaiian FOWLR
Registered Member

29 Gallon Tank to Hold Hawaiian Reef Fishes

Aloha,

I am interested in establishing a tank to hold fish from our reef here in Hawaii. I am two weeks into starting my aquarium using a hand-me-down 29 gallon, previously used substrate collected from one of our beaches (I think collecting the sand was illegal, but my friend gave it to me), and a filter that already has plenty of beneficial bacteria. I recently added three pieces of live rock from Moloka'i.

My question starts here: I want to dive and collect my own fish. However, I would like to know which fish I should add, and the order in which I should add them. For example, we have plenty of butterfly fish, yellow tangs, boxfishes, blennies, angelfish, wrasses, eels, and the list goes on and on. I just need help with the order in which I should collect them, which fish I should add, and what, in general, would be a good local collection for a small 29 gallon tank. Obviously I can't hold them all, nor would I just dive for any fish that crosses my net. I need a plan of action.

So, for the next few weeks, while my tank is cycling, I'm doing research. Your input is appreciated! Mahalo nui loa!

Hawaiian FOWLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 06:52 AM   #2
mike61289
Registered Member

That size tank won't fit much. You might be able to fit a smaller goby or two in there, but none of the fish you mentioned above.

I would also double-check the laws for collecting fish. It's very restricted in Hawaii right now and you could face fines.

Unread 08/21/2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Hawaiian FOWLR
Registered Member

I've looked into the laws, and there are certain butterfly fishes that you cannot collect. It also depends on the size of netting you use. However, licensed individuals do it for profit, and individuals may also collect for their personal use.

I would like a small tang in my aquarium, and maybe one angelfish. I have no desire to put a butterflyfish in my small aquarium.

Unread 08/21/2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Cliving1
Registered Member

I would go with a blenny and goby. Perhaps a pygmy angel if any are natural to that area. Tangs will not work due to tank size.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 02:43 PM   #5
mike61289
Registered Member

I can't think of any angels from there that are suitable for a tank that size. You might be able to get away with a flame angel for a short time, but it would need to be moved to a bigger tank eventually.

I have to agree about the tangs as well. They need much larger tanks with plenty of oxygen circulating in the tank. 29 gallons is simply too small.

A goby and blenny might be your only bets, as far as Hawaiian fish go anyways.

Unread 08/21/2018, 08:06 PM   #6
krs1102
Registered Member

Here is a list of fishes that are better for smaller tanks. If you look at the description for the fish, it will list a recommended tank size.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/category...h?c=15+2124&r=

Then you could cross list that with those found in your area.

Good luck!

krs1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 11:28 AM   #7
Hawaiian FOWLR
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Have a great day!

Unread 08/22/2018, 11:16 PM   #8
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Not promoting big fish in small tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian FOWLR View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Have a great day!
Is it the standard 29 gallon tank that’s 30 inches long?
If that’s the case, you should definitely try to collect a true Hawaiian flame angel.
As far as tangs, none of them will be suited long term in a 29 gallon. However, none of us on the mainland have a luxury of collecting a small tang from a tide pool and then releasing it back to the wild after several months. All we do is buy a fish we can’t keep, then either try to sell it or take it to the fish store for store credit.
Where you are, sky is the limit.
Good luck.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 08/22/2018 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Text edit.
CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 11:22 PM   #9
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Also, Hawaiian 4 line wrasse or even a Hawaiian flame wrasse could be okay.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 07:37 AM   #10
Jason9488
Registered Member

Tank is way too small for tangs.

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2018, 12:03 AM   #11
Hawaiian FOWLR
Registered Member

CoralsAddict,

Yes, the tank is 30" long. When I dive, I also see a lot of Kole. The commercial collectors sell them in the stores around here, and probably on the mainland as well. My guess is that my tank is too small for that as well.

The Hawaiian Dascyllus is also quite common, at least on the windward side. I see babies hiding in the coral frequently.

Mahalo!

Unread 08/29/2018, 12:06 AM   #12
Hawaiian FOWLR
Registered Member

Wow, just looked up the flame wrasse! A beautiful fish that I've never come across!

Unread 08/31/2018, 08:40 PM   #13
pfan151
Registered Member

I’d just get a bigger tank. You’re lucky enough to live in a great place that has amazing fish. A 29 gallon tank is just too limiting. I’d try to find at least a 125g

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote