Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

What is the "Break in" period refer to? Prot SKim

Also, how do you set your skimmer for the break in period?

Ive heard let it flow somewhat aggresiveley without overflowing until it break in and then Ive hear set it very low until the bubbles slowly start creeping up "eventually" if that even happens...

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:11 AM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

You want bubbles about 1/3 to 1/2 way up your flue, but not enough to overflow on a regular basis. Start at the lowest setting of flow, then every 2 days, crank it up a tad until, over a week, you end up with a dark colored stuff very smelly in your cup. It takes about 2-4 weeks of 24 hours skim to break in

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Spiffy
Cheesy Poofs!

You gotta let that slime coating build up on the inside of the skimmer. That is what "break-in" refers to. Takes about a month. But once that is done, you'll find that dark green stuff in you collection cup. It'll be light in the beginning, but after about 6 months, it'll smell strong enough to make you gag when you dump it out and clean the cup out.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon, Prepping for LPS, 6 Years.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:30 AM   #4
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
You want bubbles about 1/3 to 1/2 way up your flue, but not enough to overflow on a regular basis. Start at the lowest setting of flow, then every 2 days, crank it up a tad until, over a week, you end up with a dark colored stuff very smelly in your cup. It takes about 2-4 weeks of 24 hours skim to break in
ok, Also I have a feeling its not performing properly due to w ater level of sump... I noticed SKimmer is sitting at about 9.5" height of water and recommended water line is 5-7" Should I sit my skimmer on a stand and raise it so that I am between 5-7" or will this even matter?

If so what should I use to raise it?

Unread 06/21/2018, 10:39 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Eggcrate/pvc pipe/zip ties always come in handy....just a plastic storage container upside down works too...but yes get it set to the right height now

Unread 06/21/2018, 11:28 AM   #6
lapin
Registered Member

+1 to the above statement

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Yup, yup, to the above, let's get the right height, but what makes you "feel" is not working?

Does it make bubbles and are they rising in the flue area?
When a skimmer is new and until it gets a coat on the walls it doesn't seem to do much at all, and in addition, we don't know the amount of organic a in your DT.

Get it set, let it be

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 01:51 PM   #8
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Yup, yup, to the above, let's get the right height, but what makes you "feel" is not working?

Does it make bubbles and are they rising in the flue area?
When a skimmer is new and until it gets a coat on the walls it doesn't seem to do much at all, and in addition, we don't know the amount of organic a in your DT.

Get it set, let it be
Well its a new 90 gallon tank about 2 months old.. 1 yellow tang and some CUC.. so yeah not much bio load.. but I cant seem to get a sweet spot, either too much flow or the other way where its just bubbling at the bottom of base and never rising...

im gonna raise is a couple inches and just leave it be from now on.. i do think its too deep into water tho.. 9.5" is not recommended manufacture level

Unread 06/21/2018, 03:53 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

It wont operate properly in the wrong water level...when too deep the pump isnt loaded enough and pumps too strongly

Unread 06/22/2018, 02:22 AM   #10
Tastee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
You gotta let that slime coating build up on the inside of the skimmer. That is what "break-in" refers to. Takes about a month. But once that is done, you'll find that dark green stuff in you collection cup. It'll be light in the beginning, but after about 6 months, it'll smell strong enough to make you gag when you dump it out and clean the cup out.
Ummm...
I clean my skimmer cup weekly and clear out all the slime on the inside of the collection tube, as well as the outside of the tube and the inside and bottom of the collection cup. So it all goes back in nice and clean. Your comment above suggests I am doing the wrong thing.

Should I just pour out the skimmate and replace the skimmer cup as-is instead?

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 03:07 AM   #11
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
Ummm...
I clean my skimmer cup weekly and clear out all the slime on the inside of the collection tube, as well as the outside of the tube and the inside and bottom of the collection cup. So it all goes back in nice and clean. Your comment above suggests I am doing the wrong thing.

Continue as your are, when I clean mine, I do as you and don't have an issue with it skimming as it did before the cleaning.

My take on the "break in" has to do more with the plastics used to manufacture the skimmers, how they "outgas" to a certain degree, and if there are any possible traces of mold release agents they use in the manufacturing process.

Once all of those have dissipated, the skimmer will start skimming.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 05:49 AM   #12
Spiffy
Cheesy Poofs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
Ummm...

I don't know how you got the idea that cleaning your skimmer cup is the wrong thing to do. The cup is the only part that you should be cleaning on a regular basis.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon, Prepping for LPS, 6 Years.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 01:23 AM   #13
Tastee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
I don't know how you got the idea that cleaning your skimmer cup is the wrong thing to do. The cup is the only part that you should be cleaning on a regular basis.
Sorry, I just misunderstood your initial post. Thanks for the reply.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 09:54 AM   #14
Sk8r
RC Mod

What they mean is that a new skimmer comes in sometimes with manufacturing oils on it, and it takes time (or a vinegar wipedown) to get that off. But yes, clean the cup and lid well in plain tap water.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote