Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2017, 11:20 AM   #10301
flores.m88
Registered Member

Howdy Folks,

I'm starting a tank soon, I was gifted a Fluval M40 and my neighbor who is gifted with reef skills will be helping me start out. Thank you every one for your great information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flores.m88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 01:37 PM   #10302
993mako
Registered Member

Hi,my name is Peter I have been in the hobby over 35 years,my sailfin tang is around 25 years of age...frogspawn 20 years +,looking forward to this forum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpNS46k47no

993mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 05:47 PM   #10303
Jaidylony
Registered Member

New to saltwater

Hey guys and gals I'm trying to start up my saltwater aquarium and I bought a 125 gallon tank with 200 pounds of rock and all filters and sump. My question is it set me back a good chunk of change. Is there any kind of sand I can use for the bottom than the stuff from pet stores. Looks like it's gonna cost another couple hundred for sand unless I can find something else to use

Jaidylony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 05:11 PM   #10304
Tinabloomfield
Registered Member

New to Saltwater

Hi everyone. My name is Tina Bloomfield, and I live in Michigan. I just attened my very first frag swap in Sturgis MI, with my daughter Malissa. I am not new to fishkeeping, but I am however very new to the saltwater world. My tank is just over 2 months old, and I am following the advice of my peeps at MV pets. I am using a 20 gallon tank with an Aqua clear 70 hang on back filter system. I am also using a 100 watt Heater by Eheim. I used live rock (as well as some dry reef rock) and live sand as well as Seachem Prime, and Stability to cycle my tank. It took just about 2 weeks to cycle. I have tested my water peramiters every day up until the last 3 weeks. I am now just testing once a week. My water tested 8.2 for PH, ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates were 20, finally....so I did a 20 percent water change. Salinity is 1.021

I have 2 clown fish, 2 turbo snails, and a small crab for now.
I purchased my first two frags at the show, one being a red pipe organ, and the other a Kenya tree. I will try and figure out how to get pics inserted, but so far, Ive already figured out where they like to be, and I think they tree has actually grown since we got it.....I don't know....as I am new.

I am sorry for the long post but I really want to get familiar with the saltwater hobby, and I am very OCD and don't want anything to go wrong, so I am trying to be as perfect with it as I can. One of the questions I have is....and the reason being will follow

Isnt the salinity of my tank supposed to be 1.025?
The reason I ask this, is I purchase water from the store I go to, and this is what they keep it at for fish. When I brought it home it was reading 1.019, I have not been adding fresh water to the tank to top it iss.....as I am trying to slowly raise the salinity to 1.025, so it is safe for the future soft corals I want as well as my invertebrates I would eventually need for the clean up.
Is me doing that ok? So far I've gotten it to go up to 1.021 just adding saltwater to top off every couple of days. My tank is in my basement living area so theres not a lot of evaporation going on like there is in my freshwater tanks on the main level. To read my salinity I am using an Instant Ocean Hydrometer.

Anyhow....again, so sorry for the long post. Theres so much more to saltwater I just want to make sure im doing things right

Tinabloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 05:18 PM   #10305
Tinabloomfield
Registered Member

The clown fish touched to pipe organ so it retracted some....little turds

Tinabloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 05:37 PM   #10306
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaidylony View Post
Hey guys and gals I'm trying to start up my saltwater aquarium and I bought a 125 gallon tank with 200 pounds of rock and all filters and sump. My question is it set me back a good chunk of change. Is there any kind of sand I can use for the bottom than the stuff from pet stores. Looks like it's gonna cost another couple hundred for sand unless I can find something else to use
I used pool filter sand it's about 6 bucks for each 50# bag, just be sure to wash it good.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 05:55 PM   #10307
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabloomfield View Post
Hi everyone. My name is Tina Bloomfield, and I live in Michigan. I just attened my very first frag swap in Sturgis MI, with my daughter Malissa. I am not new to fishkeeping, but I am however very new to the saltwater world. My tank is just over 2 months old, and I am following the advice of my peeps at MV pets. I am using a 20 gallon tank with an Aqua clear 70 hang on back filter system. I am also using a 100 watt Heater by Eheim. I used live rock (as well as some dry reef rock) and live sand as well as Seachem Prime, and Stability to cycle my tank. It took just about 2 weeks to cycle. I have tested my water peramiters every day up until the last 3 weeks. I am now just testing once a week. My water tested 8.2 for PH, ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates were 20, finally....so I did a 20 percent water change. Salinity is 1.021

I have 2 clown fish, 2 turbo snails, and a small crab for now.
I purchased my first two frags at the show, one being a red pipe organ, and the other a Kenya tree. I will try and figure out how to get pics inserted, but so far, Ive already figured out where they like to be, and I think they tree has actually grown since we got it.....I don't know....as I am new.

I am sorry for the long post but I really want to get familiar with the saltwater hobby, and I am very OCD and don't want anything to go wrong, so I am trying to be as perfect with it as I can. One of the questions I have is....and the reason being will follow

Isnt the salinity of my tank supposed to be 1.025?
The reason I ask this, is I purchase water from the store I go to, and this is what they keep it at for fish. When I brought it home it was reading 1.019, I have not been adding fresh water to the tank to top it iss.....as I am trying to slowly raise the salinity to 1.025, so it is safe for the future soft corals I want as well as my invertebrates I would eventually need for the clean up.
Is me doing that ok? So far I've gotten it to go up to 1.021 just adding saltwater to top off every couple of days. My tank is in my basement living area so theres not a lot of evaporation going on like there is in my freshwater tanks on the main level. To read my salinity I am using an Instant Ocean Hydrometer.

Anyhow....again, so sorry for the long post. Theres so much more to saltwater I just want to make sure im doing things right
Hi Tina I'm somewhat new to saltwater myself, albiet I was into it for a few years quite sometime ago I do recall some and have picked up on alot more since this time around. At any rate from what I've researched, hydrometers can be very inacuarate​. Refractometer's are supposed to be much more reliable, I picked one up for $17, you can find them on eBay, amazon, etc...

G'luck

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Unread 06/15/2017, 04:12 AM   #10308
JackMar24
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I am new to keeping reef tanks and new to this forum, I was wondering what the best bran of nano aquarium would be and if it said available in Australia. I have been really looking into the coralife biocube 29 but have heard mixed things about having a lid with the led lighting. Thankyou

JackMar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2017, 02:02 PM   #10309
mannyo_09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMar24 View Post
Hi everyone, I am new to keeping reef tanks and new to this forum, I was wondering what the best bran of nano aquarium would be and if it said available in Australia. I have been really looking into the coralife biocube 29 but have heard mixed things about having a lid with the led lighting. Thankyou

Coralife came out with a new led 32 Gallon Biocube with a built in 24 hour programmable timer with a 30 minute sunrise/sunset and 60 minute moonrise/moonset features. And it's still comparable with all Coralife accessories.

From what I've seen in my area (Miami, FL) the lfs only supply the new 16 & 32 G models. You might only find a 29g used as I did.

I don't know if they are available in Australia though as I live in the United States.

mannyo_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2017, 07:46 AM   #10310
CCassady
Registered Member

Smile New to Saltwater hobby

Hi all. I hail from Modesto California and I am new to the salt water hobby after having multiple freshwater tanks since 2005. Currently we cycled a 60 gallon tank with a marine land 360 canister inappropriate heater with no live rock and fish only. Recently, I'm struggling with crypto I have and lost all of my stock including powder blue tang, emperor, flame angel and two clowns. We started this tank to educate ourselves and then plan on transferring our stock to 120 gallon next year but did not realize we needed or we're going to have to battle this parasite so fiercely.

Remaining fish in my tank is rabbit fish (fox face) and he can turn used to struggle with the parasite off and on. Just purchased UV sterilizer, 13 W aquatop. Thank you for your site.

In the last three weeks that I've been dealing with parasite, I have had much education.Learning by trial and error has not been often on but the knowledge is really helpingLearning by trial and error has not been often on but the knowledge is really helping I am finally passed the extreme frustration stage where I wanted to put my tank in garageI am finally passed the extreme frustration stage where I wanted to put my tank in garage

CCassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2017, 11:45 AM   #10311
caliudig
Registered Member

Hello RC,

Been out the hobby for a while and now just deciding to get back into things. WOW have things changed. I will be starting from scratch so will be leaning on advice from fellow RC members. I have about 5 years experience in this hobby still kinda new. i would like to start of by finding the perfect tank. 100g plus any input accepted . thanks

caliudig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 12:14 PM   #10312
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliudig View Post
Hello RC,

Been out the hobby for a while and now just deciding to get back into things. WOW have things changed. I will be starting from scratch so will be leaning on advice from fellow RC members. I have about 5 years experience in this hobby still kinda new. i would like to start of by finding the perfect tank. 100g plus any input accepted . thanks
Look at fishies you might want one day nefore settling in on a size, some have 125g, 180g minimums for examples

Unread 06/19/2017, 01:44 PM   #10313
andy.m
Registered Member

Hi everyone - I'm new to saltwater tanks, though I have been keeping and breeding freshwater fish for a while. I'm not really doing a reef tank as such - setting up a tank for dwarf seahorses, but I *might* get a 32 gal biocube and try some clowns as well. Currently have three freshwater tanks, but very excited to start in the marine hobby!

andy.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 03:29 PM   #10314
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.m View Post
Hi everyone - I'm new to saltwater tanks, though I have been keeping and breeding freshwater fish for a while. I'm not really doing a reef tank as such - setting up a tank for dwarf seahorses, but I *might* get a 32 gal biocube and try some clowns as well. Currently have three freshwater tanks, but very excited to start in the marine hobby!
Welcome. I've been keeping a reef tank for a year now, after keeping freshwater tanks on and off most of my life. My next planned build is a seahorse tank as well. Which tank are you looking at, I'm trying to decide between the Fluval 10 gallon, and the 15 gallon their supposted to have out later this summer. It has all the equipment needed in the kit. Filtration, lights, are all marine rated. I'm also planning to include a couple of trumpet fish in that tank.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ladynavyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 03:31 PM   #10315
jordimex
Registered Member

Hello everyone my name is Jorge and i am new to salt and freshwater aquariums have two freshwater aquariums for about a month and i just got a Reefer 250 with the hydra lights any good advice for a noob?

jordimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 06:31 PM   #10316
Arnallop3
Registered Member

Good afternoon guys and gals!
Fairly new to forum but have been creeping the forums and grasping as much info as possible for a while. 15 yr + freshwater aquarium keeper mainly cichlids as of recently. New to saltwater but I am very excited. Tank assembly journal coming soon hope y'all stop by and give this saltwater rook your two cents ✌�� Assembling 55 gal frag tank w DIY 20gal Long sump and DIY stand. COMING SOON

Arnallop3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2017, 02:50 PM   #10317
MLowry
Registered Member

Hi all, and Help!

Hi everyone! Love Reef Central, lots of great info...

It's been 20+ years since my last Reef setup and I am now back into the hobby.

Looking for some help.

I recently setup a 65-Gal with a sump under (Bio Balls and Bio Plate) and a Sicce 3.5 return pump with hard plumbing between the Tank and Sump. Eshopps Eclipse S overflow and a couple of Jebao PP4's.

Everything went well cycling the tank (Live Sand) and some fish were added. So, I'm about two months along and now I have what looks like what I think are micro bubbles in the tank. I checked the water level in the sump and all is okay. And the water in the sump seems to be clear. I have the PP4's set on the lowest flow setting and I dialed in the flow between the tank and the sump but the bubbles, or at least I think they are still there. They are really tiny and look like snow blowing around, and they don't seem to be blowing out of the return. I don't as yet have a skimmer so ruled that out as a culprit. And as a precaution I added a couple of activated carbon bags in the sump. It's now a week later and no better. Thoughts anyone?

MLowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 09:28 PM   #10318
Total newbie
Registered Member

Hi i am TOTAL newbie to this hobby.I have many doubts about fishes.Pls clear it

Total newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 08:40 AM   #10319
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total newbie View Post
Hi i am TOTAL newbie to this hobby.I have many doubts about fishes.Pls clear it
To be able to help you we'll need some ideal of what your questions are. Do you want a large tank, or a nano(small) nano? You can start really small, 3 to 5 gallons is considered a desktop size, or you can go to the other end of the spectrum, 100 + gallons. All fish, or fish and corals, or even all corals.
So, let us know where we can help you, and you will find the help you're looking for.

Unread 06/24/2017, 03:04 AM   #10320
jan89
Registered Member

Hi guys, i just joined this forum, im fairly new in this hobby. Hope to learn as much from you guys and hopefully build an awesome reef tank, please refer to my link below for my current build, thanksss

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2641923

do let me know what you huys think! thanks

jan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2017, 07:27 PM   #10321
Harley_Lvr
Registered Member

Hello all. My wife and I are extremely new to aquariums and we just started our first saltwater tank today. It's a 55 gallon and We originally wanted a fish only tank. We currently have decorations and fake plants in there right now. But as we research more and more we are thinking live rock and coral. Hope to learn a lot here.

Harley_Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 05:49 AM   #10322
Brintoni
Registered Member

Abbreviations

Hello everyone!
My name is Brian, and I really appreciate the Reef Central forum. I had a successful 60 gal saltwater tank 25 years ago (when our babies came along it was too hard to keep). I had a sump in the basement, and I built my own skimmer out of 4" conduit and a 2# plastic pretzel jug. So, now I'm starting a 29g Biocube and going through posts to get opinions of accessories to use. The one problem I'm having is that there are lots of abbreviations... I'll go through other posts to see if someone spells it out, most of the time to no avail. I even checked to see if there was a post explaining abbreviations. Can someone create an abbreviation list... it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Brian

Brintoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 06:42 AM   #10323
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brintoni View Post
Hello everyone!
My name is Brian, and I really appreciate the Reef Central forum. I had a successful 60 gal saltwater tank 25 years ago (when our babies came along it was too hard to keep). I had a sump in the basement, and I built my own skimmer out of 4" conduit and a 2# plastic pretzel jug. So, now I'm starting a 29g Biocube and going through posts to get opinions of accessories to use. The one problem I'm having is that there are lots of abbreviations... I'll go through other posts to see if someone spells it out, most of the time to no avail. I even checked to see if there was a post explaining abbreviations. Can someone create an abbreviation list... it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Brian
Welcome back to saltwater aquariums Brian. I know a lot of people are going equipment overboard for nano tanks, but for my nano(40 gallons),I'm using a canister filter/pump. I'm not using a protein skimmer, even though I have both fish, and corals. I am using the largest blower made for my size tank, pointed up at the surface of the water. It's keeping the oxygen levels up, and eliminating ant skim on the top of the water. One thing you should think about starting first, a quarantine tank, so you can make sure your new fish are healthy, before you put them in your display tank. It can be as small as a 5 gallon tank. You can easily find everything you need to know about QT builds on this forum.

Unread 06/26/2017, 09:33 AM   #10324
Girlingtonblue
Registered Member

Hi, this is my first journey into salt takes. I had freshwater wish almost 25 years ago and the fish bug has caught up with me.
I bought a 15 gallon cubey that comes complete with filtration, hood, led lights. I've got the tank cycling and I'm waiting for more equipment (ro/do, testing supplies). I have a great aquarium store to help get started. Looking forward to spending some time here.

Girlingtonblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 07:03 PM   #10325
Banshee36
Registered Member

Hello after reading posts from this site for a couple months I finally got my tank setup and decided to join figuring I'll have lots of questions and I enjoy seeing all the ideas people come up with for their setups. This is my first aquarium of any kind and Your site has been my go to for info. I have a 110 gallon tank with a rs100 sump. Just finished it's cycle and wanted to get some thoughts on what fish I should start with, my lfs suggested chromis. Looking forward to being a part of your community.

Banshee36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral