Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/01/2016, 03:44 PM   #401
n8rad
Registered Member

so what is everyone's feeling on socks? Would you not want them so food is constantly floating around in the tank for fish and corals? and given enough time the skimmer will eventually get it. You would need some flow in your sump though to keep it suspended.
Sunny X's tank from back in the day is what i think of when he had powerheads in his sump. No socks either..just a skimmer and heater.

Unread 06/01/2016, 03:51 PM   #402
ecotanker
Registered Member

I would not use socks. I do not even use a skimmer, just an algae scrubber, a sulphur denitrator and a chaeto refugium. I fix my coral 4 - 5 times a day, and just have the food circulate around in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8rad View Post
so what is everyone's feeling on socks? Would you not want them so food is constantly floating around in the tank for fish and corals? and given enough time the skimmer will eventually get it. You would need some flow in your sump though to keep it suspended.
Sunny X's tank from back in the day is what i think of when he had powerheads in his sump. No socks either..just a skimmer and heater.

ecotanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 09:57 AM   #403
Horace
Registered Member

My experience is that the color has more to do with nutrients or the lack there of than it does Alk, For the record, I always kept my Alk about 8.0, but that was also using Seachem salt, which tests high because of the high boron, so i was likely closer to 7.5 in reality.

When I had 0 NO3 0 PO4, I had **** for colors. They were always pale. I have always had intense lights. At one point (and the tank looked the best btw), I had 2x400w XM20k and 2x 110w Vho over my 75g. Thats over 1000w of lights on a small tank like that. Prior to that I had 6x54w T5HO, and blamed that for the poor/pale colors. I tried nearly everything to get the colors that my buddy was getting on his tank (most of the corals came from his amazing tank). All anyone would tell me to do was add this or that additive, and unfortunately I spent hundreds of dollars chasing those colors and listening to poor advice.

Finally I just listened to one guy saying to add more fish and feed 2x as much. It was like overnight that my tank looked AMAZING. Colors exploded....why? Because I had allowed my nutrients to edge up ever so slightly from 0,0 to just high enough for my test kits to register a reading.

So IMHO, pale colors are often the result of under fed corals. They simply do not have enough constant food supply in most tanks, and without a bit of added No3, or some other nitrogen source, the colors fade.

Here is an idea of what my tank looked like AFTER just allowing No3 to edge up slightly

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 10:06 AM   #404
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgeezer View Post
I've read this very interesting thread several times. I've debated posting because I'm just a hobbyist, but what the heck...

Wouldn't the organic nutrients that are constantly introduced to the water column be as available to the corals as they are to the other organisms we rely on for export? Even if the availability period is short for any single input, could the constant input of organic N & P from biological processes allow corals to get what they need? Could pale colors result from our zeal at reducing N & P numbers and not feeding well in the process? Could a well fed, moderately high bioload system that tests zero for N & P also produce vivid colors because the corals compete for the available nutrients as they are produced?
The answer in my opinion is YES

If you have no Po4 and No3, you MUST feed like crazy or have a ton of fish. So if you have filters capable of removing nutrients at a super high rate, then you had better be feeding a ton to make sure your corals do not starve. You have to find a balance, because our tanks dont have the steady stream of food like the ocean has, which is why IMHO having detectable Po4 and No3 is absolutely critical in a closed system reef tank, again unless you have a boatload of available food...which is pretty damn hard to accomplish without having some No3/Po4

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress

Last edited by Horace; 06/02/2016 at 10:23 AM.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 02:38 PM   #405
hkgar
Registered Member

I think you are right, Horace. I cannot get my NO3 or PO4 to zero. I have about 16 fish and feed pretty heavy. It equates to about 4 cubes per day.

My last testing was PO4 .05 (started GFO for a couple days) and NO3 3.

AND I dose vinegar/vodka, run an ATS and run GFO and I do have a skimmer. I do not have any GHA. Here are some pics (sorry for the heavy blue from a cell phone camera)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160602_161158.jpg (54.5 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 20160602_161649.jpg (55.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 20160602_161701.jpg (41.0 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 20160602_161714.jpg (61.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 20160602_161723.jpg (86.5 KB, 162 views)

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 02:43 PM   #406
hkgar
Registered Member

More PIcs

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160602_161735.jpg (78.6 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 20160602_161807.jpg (38.4 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 20160602_162607.jpg (43.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 20160602_161753.jpg (100.6 KB, 190 views)

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 08/22/2016, 07:46 PM   #407
Newms118
Registered Member

Ok Im jumpin in here now because I've kind of reached a limit. I have an LPS/SPS/Leathers/Softies tank with currently no fish in it because of Ich issues. My parameters:

Ca: 500+ ppm
Alk: 10 dkH
Mg: 1350 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm (nitrate pro test kit)
Phosphate: 0 ppm (Hanna)

I have absolute crap coloring. I've tried lowering my LED intensity, raising the LED intenisty, using NO3PO4X to obliterate the NO3/Phosphate (currently doing this now), bought the Korallen 4 color system and have been adding this as well. Nothing has an effect except I recently lost my encrusting montipora (it went white in spots and then the tissue just all died and was eaten by critters).

Ive tried heavily feeding with reef labs and coral frenzy etc, up to twice weekly, only the smallest hint of color change. But then I couldnt get more with more feeding.

So what should I try? More feeding? Lower the Alk? I know the calcium is too high, its slowly coming down, I think I over dosed or something, so far not dosing anymore until back to normal.

Newms118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 08:00 PM   #408
Newms118
Registered Member

All right, apparently Spectracide stump remover is the go to for adding back nitrate. Are people still using this or is some other source better to use. I guess it makes some sense for my tank since when I add amino acids (Korallen) my LPS tentacles extend for all of 5 minutes before barely coming out again.

Newms118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2016, 07:36 PM   #409
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newms118 View Post
All right, apparently Spectracide stump remover is the go to for adding back nitrate. Are people still using this or is some other source better to use. I guess it makes some sense for my tank since when I add amino acids (Korallen) my LPS tentacles extend for all of 5 minutes before barely coming out again.
Yes, people do use it. Many use it daily with fantastic results!

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2016, 09:10 PM   #410
Nano sapiens
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
The answer in my opinion is YES

If you have no Po4 and No3, you MUST feed like crazy or have a ton of fish. So if you have filters capable of removing nutrients at a super high rate, then you had better be feeding a ton to make sure your corals do not starve. You have to find a balance, because our tanks dont have the steady stream of food like the ocean has, which is why IMHO having detectable Po4 and No3 is absolutely critical in a closed system reef tank, again unless you have a boatload of available food...which is pretty damn hard to accomplish without having some No3/Po4
Just to make things more interesting/complicated, 'undectable' NO3 (ELOS) and PO4 (Salifert) with good coral coloration from an unfiltered 12g with just live rock/live sand (no skimmer, GAC, GFO, floss, etc.):

Since inorganics are relatively low (Triton returned 0.015 for PO4), the possibilities I can come up with for additional nutrients are the products from the zooxanthellae/other contributing members of the coral holobiont, fish/invert waste (a few tiny gobies/anemone shrimp/crinoid squat lobster,small CUC), externally added organics (I feed lightly 2x/day), in-tank excess sponge cells and bacterial.

Last edited by Nano sapiens; 08/26/2016 at 09:19 PM.
Nano sapiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2016, 07:44 AM   #411
karimwassef
Registered Member

Measured levels are not an indication of what the system is using. In fact, they're indications of overflow nutrients not being used for growth or coloration...

Let me give you an example... Let's say you have a very thirsty plant species that consumes a lot of water to grow and survive... And three farmers. One adds very little water, one provides a lot of water, and the third provides a constant flood way above the needs of the plant. For all three farmers, we look at the water level around the plant.

The first farmer's plant turns yellow and sickly, but there's no water around it. Sick + no water.
The second one is green, healthy and drinks up all the water around it. Very healthy + no water.
The third one is sickly and moldy and sits in a puddle of water. Sick + plenty of excess water.

Now if you just look at the results and try to connect the measured water to the health of the plant, you'll go nuts and have plenty of arguments about what's good for a plant... The second farmer got it right, even though he provided a lot of water but just enough for the plant to drink so there was no excess.

The reality is that we do the same - we measure the excess unused nutrients and then try to relate that to coral health. Without understanding the consumption rate by the corals themselves, it's meaningless. The successful coral farmer provides a lot of nutrients but not much above the coral consumption. The result is healthy corals and low levels of measurable excess nutrients...

photo AAB21DD5-A576-4818-BB91-EB52E9191763_zpslcz9tlth.jpg

photo CF06AE5F-0399-499B-A6B4-E4E61ECF4D8E_zpsmehtuq6x.jpg

photo 2FA3185F-A8BF-4102-81CE-AE88AF708588_zpsaxyiwnva.jpg

photo 1430111F-199F-492A-B59A-1FF9BABC594A_zpskfc7rsxn.jpg

All pics under metal halide only - no LEDs or other lights.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2016, 05:23 PM   #412
Montireef
Registered Member

Great words Karim, I completely agree.

Moreover I would say that the key consists in providing plenty of organic nutrients meanwhile we avoid build up inorganic nutrients

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2016, 08:59 PM   #413
karimwassef
Registered Member

yes. because excess organics become inorganics... and then hair and bacteria mess.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 04:22 AM   #414
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I like your analogy Karim.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2016, 09:28 PM   #415
GAM GAM
Registered Member

Such a good read(all 3 days of it)

So to paraphrase everything I just read, maximizing acropora Color/health/growth is about balancing your alkalinity, nutrients, and lighting. If you have alk that is too high for your lighting intensity and nutrient level you can have problems with your tips or faded colours. Too low alk for your lighting and nutrient level and you can have faded colours and/ or base problems. If your light levels are too high for your alk and nutrient levels you will have faded or pastel Color. Alternately if your light levels are too low for your alk and nutrient levels you will have brown corals. If your nutrient levels are too high for your alk and light levels you will have brown corals, and finally if your nutrient levels are too low for your light and alk numbers you will have faded or pastel colours.

From what I read the "trick" is to maximize your "nutrient" (NO3/PO4) removal (carbon dosing, large skimmer, GFO, sump shopvac, and the trusty siphon), while "maximizing" your food input (within reason). While providing powerful lighting from a proven light source over a reasonable photoperiod while providing adequate PAR levels.

So.... We should aim for "zero" NO4/PO3 think pastel zeovit tank, maximum nutrient export and starving corals, BUT...... Quadruple the food you provide. Take a pastel zeo tank (just an example, but any sterile super clean system) with very light colours, then up the feeding (really whatever it takes) to Color them up, then ad some more food while maintaining your high export practice. If you over shoot and end up with some brown then "balance" this out with a small bump or two of your photoperiod, some higher par bulbs or a bump in led output. I would think the last resort would be to reduce feeding.

At this point with your food maximized, your nutrient export maximized, and your lighting really finishing off the fine tuning your acropora Color should be about as good as it gets. Too brown add some time to your photoperiod or back off the feeding. Too light/pastel colours then feed some more or back of off the photoperiod or par.

I didn't really go into the alkalinity but if you are running a super clean "sterile" system you run NSW levels for alk 7ish. You probably can get away with the lowest par levels for a sps system, and as your nutrient levels rise (NO3/PO4) the higher you HAVE to run your alk, and the higher levels of par you can expose your acro to. Now to get the best Color you run a system super clean/sterile, with alk at NSW levels 7-8 and feed your tank hard, which allows you to really put down some really high par on your acros. Try to hold your "ulns" "zero" numbers while feeding Super heavy.

This thread is so full of good stuff it should probably be a sticky
Just sayin

Last edited by GAM GAM; 09/16/2016 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Spelling errors/fine tuning
GAM GAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2016, 01:08 PM   #416
ssick92
Registered Member

Great info provided here. Following along.

I really like the farmer analogy, and it makes a ton of sense as to why there are so many different schools of thought regarding nutrients, lighting, parameters, etc.

I agree this should be stickied...

IM Nuvo 10g Mixed Reef Nano | Kessil A160we | Mp10QD | Osmolator Nano
ssick92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 01:19 AM   #417
bif24701
Registered Member

the secret to colorful,healthy corals....obvious to some,elusive to many

So much good stuff here wow.

My thoughts:

1, NSW may be "low" in nutrients when tested however no one has considered the fact that the volume of nutrients is far more than our little boxes. They have all they need in there. Also they have linked increased PO4 with lower bleaching rates.

2, The reefs receive a constant food supply and fresh clean water 24/7. Gam Gam you really are in to something!

3, Replicating this in our homes is key I think. I have terrible colors and growth in my new system. My filtration consists of: oversized skimmer (SRO-5000), NOPOX, GFO and ROX .8 carbon in reactor, MarinePure block, Cheato fuge, high quality Pulkani LR, filter socks and flow (60x's display). I have few fish and because my system is new some algae so the standard reaction is to reduce nutrients as much as possible and limit feeding. My Nitrates are zero 0.00ppm RSP kit/PO4 is 0.02ppm Hanna ULR.

So my new approach:
Add fish! Just added two tangs
Feed! I now feed my fish all they want and then some! I mean it, a lot. Pellets, frozen, with Selcon, and Nori. I also feed my corals Reef Chili and coral frenzy alternating a couple times per week. I have already seen increased color and growth throughout but not any increase in algae.

Why hasn't algae started taking over?

Because my excess inorganic nutrients haven budged, still undetectable NO3 and less than .03 PO4. Still has been going on for the last 4-5 weeks.

I closely watch for increased growth on glass. When I see more film algae on surfaces I either clean the skimmer, change GFO/carbon, up my NOPOX dose. Also now that I have added an auto neck cleaner my water is cleaner than ever. I run filter socks and would love to remove them but micro bubbles are a problem for me.

The skimmer is the real work horse here. It's is well sized for my 180 display and 300gallons total system volume. In fact feeding more has caused it to operate better.

My ALK is high around 9.5 test almost daily. Maintained by Kalk.

Lighting is also intense. Kessil AP700 (X2), 70% intensity for 7 hours. I don't dare take it over 70, each time I've tried my montis bleach in days. I have measured my PAR and just about every square inch gets ~200 PAR or more. The majority of my corals are easily in the 300+ range.

Bottom line there is a direct link to coral growth and color with light intensity and feeding. Maybe the exact biological functions and chemistry of this link or other factors might be a mystery to us. There can be no doubt that more lighting needs more food, this creates suitable environment for increase growth that leads to a need for additional carbonate/bicarbonate.

Also note that high pH increase available bicarbonate needed for calcification. So a stable increase of pH is warranted to an extent that more bicarbonate is available to corals.

Here is some really good reading!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002...stry#section-7

In conclusion I feel it is important to keep organics up for coral nutrition while keeping the broken down by inorganic products down (NO3, PO4).

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2016, 08:25 AM   #418
Vinno
Registered Member

Hey guys,

All my fish are out of the tank at the moment getting treatment for ick, so the tank has been 3 months, ive did some checks tonight and 0 phosphate 0 nitrate.

Last time i checked it was 3 months ago as i moved the fish, it was 0 phosphate and about 3-5 nitrate.

So is frozen fish food + pellet dumping better (how long before it breaks to release nitrate) or some kind of nitrate powder?

Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2016, 08:18 AM   #419
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinno View Post
Hey guys,

So is frozen fish food + pellet dumping better (how long before it breaks to release nitrate) or some kind of nitrate powder?
The speed at which organic matter breaks down will vary with the conditions of the system. Higher temperatures and oxygen levels will lead to a more rapid break down of organics.

I'm personally not a big fan of adding inorganic nitrogen and phosphorus. I know it's becoming increasingly more popular, but I really don't get it. At least not where SPS corals are concerned. The organisms we keep that depend on these things are bacteria, algae, and zooxanthellae. Most of us don't want to grow more bacteria and algae, so the only benefit I can see is an increase in zooxanthellae. We can maintain a healthy population of zooxanthellae simply by insuring that their host is well nourished. This is precisely how it works in areas of the ocean where inorganic nutrients are very very low, and healthy growing coral reefs exist. The waste products of a well fed coral should provide plenty of fertilizers to support a healthy population of zooxanthellae without increasing inorganic nutrient levels in the open water of the system.

JMHO
Peace
EC

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2016, 11:44 PM   #420
ERIC85854
Registered Member

Well there's definately a link between higher measureable nitrate and faster growth.

Current Tank Info: 200G (RS XXL 750) Mixed Reef, Kessil AP700 & A360WEx2, T5x4, Vortech MP40, Gyre XF250, Lifereef SVS2-24, Apex Jr, DOS
ERIC85854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2016, 10:44 PM   #421
supscribe
Registered Member

I had 30 nitrate and water changed to bring it down to 5-10 but maybe I should ride out the higher nitrates and see what happens

supscribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 12:56 AM   #422
ERIC85854
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supscribe View Post
I had 30 nitrate and water changed to bring it down to 5-10 but maybe I should ride out the higher nitrates and see what happens
I lost color and growth when my nitrate level went to 3 or less (NYOS). It seems like not everyone's experience is the same but I will try to keep mine around 5.

Current Tank Info: 200G (RS XXL 750) Mixed Reef, Kessil AP700 & A360WEx2, T5x4, Vortech MP40, Gyre XF250, Lifereef SVS2-24, Apex Jr, DOS
ERIC85854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 05:29 AM   #423
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

My measurable nitrates are between 2.5-5 ppm (Salifert) and measurable phosphates are between 0.024-0.046 mg/L (but are typically 0.046 mg/L) (Elos High Sensitivity). My alkalinity is at NSW (6.45 dKH-7.45 dKH). My corals seem to be at their happiest when alkalinity is at NSW levels.

I dose a product that contains organic nitrogen, organic carbon, inorganic phosphates, inorganic nitrates and organic phosphates. You can see plenty more pictures if you follow the links in my signature.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 10/28/2016, 08:20 AM   #424
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
My measurable nitrates are between 2.5-5 ppm (Salifert) and measurable phosphates are between 0.024-0.046 mg/L (but are typically 0.046 mg/L) (Elos High Sensitivity). My alkalinity is at NSW (6.45 dKH-7.45 dKH). My corals seem to be at their happiest when alkalinity is at NSW levels.

I dose a product that contains organic nitrogen, organic carbon, inorganic phosphates, inorganic nitrates and organic phosphates. You can see plenty more pictures if you follow the links in my signature.

Beautiful tank. What are the ATI bulbs you are using? I am using 6x80 W ATI over my 180 and the colors are now where near as popping.

I have front to back B+, P+, B+, Aquablue, Geisseman Tropic (6500k), Actinic, B+, B+

ALK 7.8
CA 450
Mag 1350
PO4 .04
NO3 5

Unread 10/28/2016, 12:00 PM   #425
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I am using front blue+ coral+ actinic abs purple+ blue+ coral+ blue+ back