Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2009, 10:41 PM   #1
magikfly
Registered Member

BBT anemone is hiding! what to do?

So I got a green BBT anemone today and I put it in my tank after drip acclimitizing it.
As soon as it fixed itself it started moving and after a couple of hours it ended up in a small cave hanging upside down (I can hardly see it).
This sucks, I didnt spend money on it so it can act like a bat.
I want it out, it doesn't want to and I think my twin 250W MH might have something to do with that.
Should I prod it out? Or will it come out by itself?

magikfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2009, 11:29 PM   #2
inktomi
Aviator

I'd leave it be for a bit. Mine likes having it's foot down in a crevice where it can feel safe. I wouldn't poke at it or anything, just let it be. Try feeding it some shrimp when it's expanded, and maybe shade that part of the tank a bit if the lights it's used to were not as bright as what you have now.

Current Tank Info: 275g AGE, 5 Radion Pro, 4 MP40
inktomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2009, 11:37 PM   #3
ludnix
Registered Member

You should definitely leave it alone. You just put it in there, it seems reasonable that it should need some time to acclimate to your lights.

If you're the kind of person who really wants to control where everything is in your tank than an anemone was probably a mistake. They are easily one of the most unruly animals in the hobby.

Current Tank Info: 14g Biocube
ludnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2009, 11:38 PM   #4
magikfly
Registered Member

the lights its used to are far less brighter than mine, but still it'll have to come out soon right?
feeding is impossible, I can hardly see it, let alone get close enough to feed

magikfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2009, 11:53 PM   #5
ludnix
Registered Member

You should hold off on trying to feed it for at least a week. As long as the anemone doesn't have an issue with your water quality it will come out and find a good place that it feels comfortable in which will be somewhere in the light. It's going to take time though just let it hide in it's cave for now and it will come out on it's own when it's ready.

Current Tank Info: 14g Biocube
ludnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2009, 01:10 AM   #6
kikireef
Registered Member

Mine moved around for about 4 or 5 days before it found a place that it liked. I noticed mine ended up about 8 inches from a powerhead that blows right across it. Maybe try to re-angle your powerheads if yours did the same. I have heard that they will find a place with a good strong current which mine definetly did.

kikireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2009, 08:39 AM   #7
morphiii
Registered Member

Don't force it to move. It will find a spot where it can hide it's foot. When they feel comfortable, the will expand to catch the light.

morphiii is offline   Reply With Quote