Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2009, 06:26 PM   #51
tonyespinoza
Premium Member

yeah, the phone is definitely the way to go with him. he's not responding to my mails and i purchased over $10,000 worth of stuff from him recently.

tonyespinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2009, 06:39 PM   #52
reefkoi
Premium Member

He's a little slow via email, I like using the phone best with him, he sometimes is great with email, I guess it depends on his schedule maybe?

I buy all of my high end stuff from him, he seems to sell all the good stuff

Current Tank Info: A 600gal. on Zeovit & a 240gal.
reefkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2009, 06:55 PM   #53
tonyespinoza
Premium Member

Yup, I like Scott. He's very knowledgeable and no-BS. But yeah, I guess his schedule must cause him to miss a lot of email.

tonyespinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 03:11 AM   #54
AcroButcher
Registered Member

bubble king mini 200 finally arrived! yay

AcroButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 03:11 AM   #55
AcroButcher
Registered Member

mine also came from scott at aquarium specialty and ill agree the phone is the only way to go.

AcroButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 04:50 PM   #56
Bunkerbean
Registered Member

I am in the process of a design build. The tank I have decided upon is a 500 gallon tank with a mixed reef predominately SPS. What all do you think would be the right skimmer for me? I like quite a few fish so I am sure it will have some bioload to it. Thoughts?

Bunkerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 04:56 PM   #57
Bunkerbean
Registered Member

I should probably write that I PM'd Klaus about it and got an answer. I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Unread 01/09/2009, 06:23 PM   #58
reefkoi
Premium Member

I'd get a 300 SM

Current Tank Info: A 600gal. on Zeovit & a 240gal.
reefkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 07:07 PM   #59
Bunkerbean
Registered Member

Perfect. That is the same answer Klaus had... Can't wait for this build to take way.

Unread 01/11/2009, 12:37 PM   #60
TheReefKeeper
Aquaholic

I just got my BK mini 200. Is this thing really that sensitive? I feed it drops for hours. You touch the water it drops for hours. What's the deal? The sump has an extremely stable water level. It's about 10in I know it's supposed to be around 9in. Will 9in. of water make that much of a difference? I bought this used and the old owner complained about the same issues. I figured I could get it to skim better because he said his sump was not stable. He went back to his Euro-Reef 135. He ran it for 3 mounts and I've been running it for 3 days. Should I give it a break and let it go or do something different? I haven't seen much in the cup just light water may be 1 ml. of skimmate at best in 3 days. So far not too impressed.

TheReefKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2009, 01:15 PM   #61
newmoon
Premium Member

Mini 200 Generation 2 or the first one?

Unread 01/11/2009, 01:59 PM   #62
TheReefKeeper
Aquaholic

Gen1

Unread 01/11/2009, 02:51 PM   #63
jthao
Super Saiyan

reefkeeper: honestly I had the same issue. I bought it from a guy who couldn't get it to work right and he wasn't too satisfied with it. I then used it and was not satisfied with it for the first few days.... I was wondering the same thing "is it really worth this much $$?" But then I played around with it and found it's "sweet" spot. now it pulls dark nasty skimmate like crazy (I empty the cup every 3 days!!)

I don't know how the minis work, but I have the 200deluxe internal and there's a lot of "tweaking" that you have to do to get it right. I had it in 8" of water and it didn't perform well, now I have it in 9 inches of water and it pulls like crazy. funny 1" of water can make such a big difference.

I say play with it a little, try it in different water levels, try adjusting the pump intake nozzle (I don't know if you have this) also try adjusting the water level inside the skimmer. I find that the BKs work best when the water level is right up to the bottom of the collection cup where the "neck" begins.
good luck.

Unread 01/11/2009, 02:55 PM   #64
jthao
Super Saiyan

this is from 3 days of skimming:

Unread 01/11/2009, 03:01 PM   #65
TheReefKeeper
Aquaholic

Cool Thanks Bro' I will give it a shot in 9in of water worth a shot.
That's impressive for 3 day of skimmate! I wish mine looked like that.
I posted the question in another forum I need all the input I can get
Thanks Again!

Unread 01/11/2009, 03:43 PM   #66
jthao
Super Saiyan

yeah..... try different things with it. it will act differently when you adjust the nozzle in the front also. I would do 9" of water because you said that you get wet skimmate, that might be because your water level was at 10" and this made the water level in the skimmer rise also thus producing wet skimmate.

I have alot of fish (30 or so) that's why I get a lot of skimmate.

Unread 01/11/2009, 04:22 PM   #67
TheReefKeeper
Aquaholic

Thanks Got it at 9 lets see what happens!

Unread 01/13/2009, 06:30 PM   #68
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheReefKeeper
Thanks Got it at 9 lets see what happens!

Any different?
Do you have a airflow meter? Its Good to have one.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 07:35 PM   #69
TheReefKeeper
Aquaholic

No airflow meter. No different. Really hating this thing. Knowing the airflow is going to do what? It's going to skim or not. I can't imagin airflow is the problem it seems like design to me. It seems like their isn't enough power for the diamater neck or should I say their isn't enough reaction time in the lower body you are doing all of the reaction in the neck once that is dirty skimming stops. Every other skimmer I've ever owned you want the neck to stay clean. That is impossible with this. I am no skimmier expert by any means hopefully klaus will jump in and give an explination to what the design/function idea behind this is. I am also wondering if that's why a gen 2 came out.

Unread 01/13/2009, 08:31 PM   #70
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

OK, Sorry I posted.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 08:32 PM   #71
jnb
Premium Member

I had the 160 - it worked great, I now run the 180 gen2 - it works great but continues to break in and is getting even better.
My water level is at 8 inches exactly and it was with the 160. It is the most consistent skimmer and pulls as good as or better than my previous ER, H&S, Elos.

What happens when you cover the air intake with your finger - the bubbles rise rather quickly, yes, just checking.

You know how things need to slime up to work nicely? Well, I believe that leaving the cup, white area at the bottom of the cup (inside of course as it turns into the white material - that the whole white part should never be cleaned - when I cleaned it, the skimmer took longer to start skimming and I have never cleaned it since - the browner, slimerier the better in my experience.

When you close up the pipe (water flow) by twisting it, the water/bubble level rises - yes? and you have it set so that the division of more or less solid water, where it breaks into less water/more bubbles is around the level suggested on the pipe and/or manual - yes? (I run my a tad higher so that the bubbles at the point where they become bigger is about 1.5 inches up into the cup - you know about 3 inches from the top of the cup.

Have you changed any piping recently - overflow, new acrylic item in the sump, etc - doing this can suspend skimming for more than a day in my experience. - before you installed it, did you remove the volute and check for obstructions, etc?

When I clean my tanks (hands in) or some foods do slow down skimming but it comes back to normal in an hour - and it takes more than a simple quick hand dunk to make this happen - so what you are experiencing is not normal (in my experience)

Perhaps give a list of what you put in your tank like special liquid selcon, reefbooster, etc) - in my experience these slow down skimming for a while.

What size tank do you have this on?

I assume your system is mature not newly set up?

Quote:
No airflow meter. No different. Really hating this thing. Knowing the airflow is going to do what? It's going to skim or not. I can't imagin airflow is the problem it seems like design to me. It seems like their isn't enough power for the diamater neck or should I say their isn't enough reaction time in the lower body you are doing all of the reaction in the neck once that is dirty skimming stops. Every other skimmer I've ever owned you want the neck to stay clean. That is impossible with this. I am no skimmier expert by any means hopefully klaus will jump in and give an explination to what the design/function idea behind this is. I am also wondering if that's why a gen 2 came out.

jnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 08:47 PM   #72
jnb
Premium Member

Air flow meter will help diagnose - if you are getting less than expected then everything having to do with sucking air needs to be checked - that is what an airflow meter does - it is common sense.

Quote:
No airflow meter. No different. Really hating this thing. Knowing the airflow is going to do what? It's going to skim or not. I can't imagin airflow is the problem it seems like design to me............

jnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 09:13 PM   #73
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Reefkeeper you said something that grabbed my attention "" it seems to not have enough power for the diamater" I have had the same problem with my ER CS8/2 it could only make some bubbles but no skimmate it seemed to not have enough power to make skimmate. So I thought it was a weak pump so I borrowed a brand new Sedra 5000 it worked a little better. So my conclusion after 6 months of frustration is that the skimmer is oversized. I put my old CS 5/3 and it pulls a cup a day. It is a 120 reef with 100ppm nitrates. So I hope this helps,

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 09:24 PM   #74
TheReefKeeper
Aquaholic

Yes when I block the air intake it rises quickly.
I don't understand this question.
Q-you have it set so that the division of more or less solid water, where it breaks into less water/more bubbles is around the level suggested on the pipe and/or manual - yes?
I have the water level at the line suggested and have tried a tad higher to the bottom of the white where the neck meets the body.

So don't clean it ever?

Is their supposed to be a o-ring at the bottom of the riser ya know the pipe you twist?

The water level is 9" it was at 10 1/2 wasn't good their. it's better at 9"
The tank is a year old nothing new. Running a calcium reactor every couple days I add Mag.

I know it common sense about the air meter but it's hard to imagine I am the second owner of this skimmer who can't get it going. Could it really be a bad pump. Or a Air issue? I'm asking not telling. It's loud as all can be (Air sucking).

Unread 01/13/2009, 09:29 PM   #75
TheReefKeeper
Aquaholic

Quote:
moondoggy4 Reefkeeper you said something that grabbed my attention "" it seems to not have enough power for the diameter
The only reason I said that was because they came out with the Gen 2 fixing the problems of the gen 1 and also lowering the bubble plate increasing reaction time. I would hope that's not the case. It does seem like a bigger pump would do the trick.