Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2018, 08:11 AM   #1
losthawk1969
Registered Member

mystery softy from almost dried rock

A friend of mine meet a woman who was moving out of state had a 5 gallon bucket of live rock in her driveway with no water, he called me ask if I would want it and he came to my house and i put it in a tote in water I got out my tanks, two weeks later I seen two slimy spots cleaned it up slowly, seen it was two softies of some kind put it back to see what happens. two weeks later they were still there no slim. this went on for over two months. they seem like they are alive and trying to make a come back. well its been 7 months now and they are in a 30 gallon setup and starting to get a reddish or pink color and I think they made improvement my a long shoot, how they are surviving is amazing was told that rock was in the driveway for a week. cant wait to see what happens. have video of them on my phone got to see how to post it here.

losthawk1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2018, 09:06 AM   #2
losthawk1969
Registered Member

video in 30 setup

https://youtu.be/IlUu7A7tHCo

Unread 07/14/2018, 09:46 AM   #3
syrinx
Registered Member

Sweet! Life has a way of being persistant! I would imagine they are leathers of some sort. I will hope they survive and do well enough that you can frag them and allow this coral to keep going forever. Even if to the jaded eye of the coral addict it is drab-it could be the most beautiful in terms of its story.

Unread 07/16/2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Opus123
Registered Member

Looks like sponge to me.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 06:15 PM   #5
syrinx
Registered Member

Yeah the spherical ones with the holes are sponges. If the other one looks the same, but is getting color, its likely algae growing on it.

Unread 07/27/2018, 08:21 AM   #6
losthawk1969
Registered Member

no algae on it I keep my tank up cant remember last algae bloom I am greedy on feeding fish feed once a day in the morning

Unread 08/02/2018, 04:47 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Sponge..
Not uncommon at all to have life spring right back after putting the rock back into water..
Happens quite often.. Spores,etc... can easily survive being dried out,etc...