Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2016, 03:43 PM   #301
MuShu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post

Best way to check for air leaks, (Which is honestly what you are looking for) is salt creep. Salt creep indicates a leak. Air gets in before water. If you need to re-do glued fittings, use a magic marker and mark lines on both sides being glued.
Um... thank you for this? You may have just helped me catch a small leak in my tank before it turned catastrophic. I'm still watching the area, but the moist salt creep coming up from the bottom edge of the tank 4 days after a water change is probably not a good sign (I don't have a sump, so nothing under the tank would be causing salt creep).

MuShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2016, 11:27 AM   #302
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuShu View Post
Um... thank you for this? You may have just helped me catch a small leak in my tank before it turned catastrophic. I'm still watching the area, but the moist salt creep coming up from the bottom edge of the tank 4 days after a water change is probably not a good sign (I don't have a sump, so nothing under the tank would be causing salt creep).

Glad you found the leak! Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2016, 11:34 AM   #303
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Right now I'm putting the source of the problem on loc line. At least I'm hoping that's the source of the problem. I'll put Jeremy on task to get some new returns put in that aren't loc line to see if it helps.

Our overflow seems to be a magnet for new tank inhabitants. Two green clown gobies went thru the overflow today. One made it to the sump, and the other in the overflow box. Luckily got them out before getting sucked into the pumps. I've put a sponge (that's supposed to be in the sump) behind the teeth of the overflow, will keep one there for the week being these guys need to get used to the flow.

I'm done trying yellow head jawfish. Out of 7, 2 have made it. 3 in the first batch and they were simply just too small, shouldn't have put them in the tank, rookie mistake. 3 made it into the overflow and eventually through the pumps. What a miserable way to go out.

This batch, 4 ordered. One died in QT after prazipro treatment and 3 finished 7 weeks of QT. 2 are living happily in the very front and center of the tank. It's awesome watching them, they close their dens at night by putting rocks overtop and in the morning open it back up.

I wanted a group of them, but looks like 2 will have to do. 2 are better than none, I'm done killing these poor guys. With this average I'll have sacrificed way too many to get the 4-5 I wanted. 2 it is.

Unread 09/21/2016, 05:13 PM   #304
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Loc lines are fine if they're all below water, so simply have your glued PVC go under the water line, then have a screw adapter in the end and you can use the loc line to point wherever you want to go.

Unread 09/22/2016, 08:38 AM   #305
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Pulled the sponge out of the overflow because my husband had a good point that we need debris going down, not stuck in the sponge. Well, overnight the blue clown goby went for another ride to the sump. I'm thankful he's going down the sump and not the cryptic fuge. If he makes it into there with 300+ lbs of live rock, there's no getting him out.

Netted him out of the sump and back into DT. Let's see if he makes a habit of this. #2 blue clown goby MIA after digging him out of the overflow yesterday. They're not jumping over, they're going thru the teeth.

Unread 09/22/2016, 09:19 AM   #306
dave.m
Registered Member

You can end that with a bit of plastic gutter guard (as used on eaves troughs).

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2016, 10:20 AM   #307
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
You can end that with a bit of plastic gutter guard (as used on eaves troughs).

Dave.M

Great idea! This is number 7 or 8 that's went thru. Only lost one guy to the pumps, but still they don't need the darn stress!

Add plastic gutter guards to the shopping list - check!!

Unread 09/22/2016, 02:29 PM   #308
tanksfishtank
Registered Member

Great build. I love how you built it into the corner. Tons of work by the looks of it. Anything you would have changed, now that you are almost done?

tanksfishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2016, 04:47 AM   #309
MrReefK
Registered Member

Ok so I "The husband" realized that I drilled 2 anti siphon in each of the returns, and one is right at the water level. I'm thinking and hoping that's where our micro bubbles are coming from. Well off to the LFS to get some new line-loc prices.

Thanks for all the help and compliments from everyone. We still have lot of loose ends to tie up but it is all coming together with time.

Tanksfishtank- I'm was from Iowa till about a year ago. Go Hawks

MrReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2016, 09:06 PM   #310
tanksfishtank
Registered Member

Go Hawks! Any new pics or updates?

tanksfishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2016, 08:22 AM   #311
houston220
Registered Member

Tagging along before I start my new tank.

houston220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 12:11 PM   #312
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Boy oh boy. Can't believe it's been so long since we have posted. A lot has happened. Moved a majority of SPS to the DT. All but one are doing amazingly and showing crazy growth already. My fav fish in the tank are my yellow head jaw fish. We had two of them. One bailed out of him home, scattered his rocks that were protecting it and haven't seen him since. So we're down to one. Sad.

Other than that, fish are all doing really good. I want to get auto water change up and running by end of year, we'll see if it happens. We have everything for it. Same goes for the kalk stirrer.

Here's a recent pic with the outside finally getting finished.

Unread 12/05/2016, 12:15 PM   #313
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Something is going on with our chemistry. I need to run tests, chaeto withered away to nothing. String of pearls macro algae still doing great. Bummer on the chaeto, it was doing so good and growing like crazy.

Unread 12/05/2016, 05:58 PM   #314
iced98lx
Registered Member

Outside looks great! Whata cool look for that corner!

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 03:49 PM   #315
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
Outside looks great! Whata cool look for that corner!

Thanks! We are finishing up the remodel, once that's finished up or at least close to it I have some spare time to post some pictures and progress of the Corals and different angles of the tank.

Unread 12/06/2016, 03:52 PM   #316
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

Double post

Unread 12/06/2016, 05:25 PM   #317
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Just got home from the road to find.... drum roll. Clown laying eggs. They won't flourish as we are not setup for breeding, but how cool. You can see the eggs on the wall of the tank. Unfortunately these eggs have already blown off. They seem to like the "blocks" on the outside of the tank.

Unread 12/27/2016, 06:32 PM   #318
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Unread 12/28/2016, 07:19 PM   #319
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Finally, a finished room... feels so good to sit on the couch and watch the tank for hours.

Unread 12/29/2016, 01:38 AM   #320
dave.m
Registered Member

What a nice looking room. I would have angled the couch more to the left, myself.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2016, 01:16 PM   #321
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
What a nice looking room. I would have angled the couch more to the left, myself.

Dave.M

Thanks Dave! The couch is actually in a pretty good position to view the tank from. Turned out better than I was anticipating!!

More corals moving from the frag tank to DT tonight. Had another 4 hour power outage this week in frigid temps, we are now shopping for whole house generators, oh the purchases that tanks get us into! Haha.

Unread 12/29/2016, 01:19 PM   #322
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Here's another angle of the room, beer is within distance of the tank. My hobby is the tank, Jeremy's is brewing beer, we both benefit from each other's passions!

Unread 12/29/2016, 02:08 PM   #323
iced98lx
Registered Member

the family room turned out awesome! Looks like you both got a little something that you enjoy working on down there. I love the bar and room. Can't wait to watch the tank fill up. I absolutely love how you've integrated that shaped tank into the room, what an absolute joy to look at.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2016, 12:21 AM   #324
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
the family room turned out awesome! Looks like you both got a little something that you enjoy working on down there. I love the bar and room. Can't wait to watch the tank fill up. I absolutely love how you've integrated that shaped tank into the room, what an absolute joy to look at.

Hey buddy! Thanks for stopping by and the great words. Now that the Reno is complete, we will be around here more often and the tank should start filling with new inhabitants soon! I don't want to deal with QT process in January (a lot of work travel). Next batch will be February and will be a decent sized purchase. I can't wait!

Unread 12/30/2016, 09:17 PM   #325
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Wow! That turned out really nice. I wouldn't ever leave that room.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote