Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2017, 03:28 PM   #1
moneymm
Registered Member

Which anemone works for me?

I have a 50 gallon tank. Want to keep mixed Reef .

I have two ocellaris clowns that I would like to host with it.

Do all anemones host 2 clowns?

I also have a shrimp allergy and do not want to feed anything in the tank it so I don’t have to handle it or keep it in the house.

Which anemones work for me?

Phantom Clown, Ocellaris Cown, 10 Snails, 4 Hermit Crabs
moneymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 03:40 PM   #2
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Not all anemones host clowns. Bta should work. if your lighting is enough you don’t need to feed them for very long time. Also you don’t need to feed them shrimp. You can feed them other seafood such as fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 04:11 PM   #3
hazenight
Registered Member

Bta

hazenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 07:36 PM   #4
moneymm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
Not all anemones host clowns. Bta should work. if your lighting is enough you don’t need to feed them for very long time. Also you don’t need to feed them shrimp. You can feed them other seafood such as fish.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/pro...633&pcatid=633

Blue tip sebae?

Unread 11/25/2017, 08:45 PM   #5
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Which anemone works for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm View Post

sebae is a widely accepted host anemone for different kinds of clownfish. But they are not easy to take care of( I really don’t recommend it if it’s your first anemone), but If you are confident. Go for it. Most clownfish will live with sebae anemones. Btas are hit or miss.

Make sure your tank is anemone ready, by checking your lights and flows, etc.

Last edited by humphreyhh; 11/25/2017 at 08:53 PM.
humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 09:55 PM   #6
Fiver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm View Post
Bubble tip anemone.

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2017, 04:21 PM   #7
pfan151
Registered Member

I wouldn’t get a BTA for a mixed reef. If you can find a healthy one, a Magnifica would be the best choice IMO. If you don’t feed them mags basically never grow any significant amount. They are also pretty much guaranteed to be immediately used as a host while BTAs are not. Most bubble tips you can buy will be small and may take a while before they are big enough to handle two clowns. They also move much more than any other type of anemone. You may be able to find a big green BTA but most roses seem to come in very small.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2017, 11:36 PM   #8
garygb
Registered Member

Sebae (H. crispa) is not a natural host of ocellaris and is not as easy to care for as a BTA. Although BTA isn't a natural host for ocellaris either, the odds are pretty good that the fish will eventually accept the BTA as host. Magnifica and gigantea are natural hosts, however, both species are not considered easy. If you are up to the challenge of either magnifica or gigantea, then do your research and go for it.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2017, 02:51 PM   #9
JustAClownFish
Registered Member

When I put my BTA in the tank my clowns didn't know what to do with it. I introduced a third clown that hosted the anemone in the store, to begin with. It didn't take long for my other two clowns to copy the third clown behavior and host the anemone. I had to bring the third clown back to the store because my clowns wouldn't let him host the anemone lol. What I'm saying is, the clowns need to see that they can host the anemone and it might sound ridiculous but even a picture of a clown hosting an anemone can help.

JustAClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2017, 03:56 PM   #10
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post

+1

Just know that all anemones can move alot, especially BTAs. So prepare yourself by anemone proofing your tank. A pureed anemone from a powerhead can easily crash a tank.

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 01:24 AM   #11
JustAClownFish
Registered Member

Honestly get a bubble tip. They're hardy and they will host and except a variety of different clownfish. Just make sure you get a big enough one for the two clowns and drip acclimate it. Once it's in the tank make sure the clowns don't go for it right away as it needs some time to acclimate first. Maybe put the anemone in a breeder box so it can get used to your water and light first.

JustAClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 01:45 PM   #12
moneymm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAClownFish View Post
Honestly get a bubble tip. They're hardy and they will host and except a variety of different clownfish. Just make sure you get a big enough one for the two clowns and drip acclimate it. Once it's in the tank make sure the clowns don't go for it right away as it needs some time to acclimate first. Maybe put the anemone in a breeder box so it can get used to your water and light first.
how big is big enough for the two clowns?

Unread 12/11/2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Terry Reefer
Registered Member

Ritteri is my choice but not for a 50 gallon. They have heavy bio load. Bubble tip is the way for you.

Terry Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 05:59 PM   #14
Andrew S.
Registered Member

Any one if it’s big enough. Some crawl around and kill coral.

Andrew S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 07:05 PM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

You may want to look at H. malu. These anemones are smaller anemones, max out at 7-8 inches, easier to care fore, stays on the sand bed and are great host for Ocellaris or Percula (but not natural host). I never have Ocellaris or Percular refuse to move into a Malu.
They can be very colorful, although no anemone color will beat the color of a colorful Haddoni.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote