Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2016, 03:24 PM   #451
homer1475
Registered Member

So figured I would post this here as well in Soul's thread in case anyone reading this thread doesn't read his.

We had a small discussion last week about the drop in ALK when storing SW. I've been testing daily(semi daily, ok i forgot a couple days!) and it seems my ALK is dropping by .5 DKH daily. Whats odd is CA and MAG are steady, but the ALK is definitely dropping. I'll have to keep this in mind and test the water before I use it, and dose it up to proper levels.

Since this batch of IO/RC mixed up a little weird, I'm just going to keep an eye on it before I use it.

Fresh box(bag)of IO/RC and fresh RO/DI mixed up to 1.026 came in at

CA - 420
ALK - 11.5 currently at 8 DKH after a 6 days of storage
MAG 1150 odd as I've always had it come in at 1350ish with a fresh batch. I have read about QC issues with RC and different batches mixing up to different levels, so I'll be sure to check a new batch when its ready.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 04:49 AM   #452
homer1475
Registered Member

Well as I've been trolling the forums lately I ran across a thread about GHA and how this particular reefer has been battling it for over 3 years, and was going to throw in the towel.

Of course he/she got the typical responses, "control nutrients, run GFO, manual pulling, etc, etc", to which like myself he has been doing for some time to no avail.

Then someone linked to a product that has a thread on here that goes back to 2009 when the product was introduced. To my dismay it is 98 pages long, but I read the entire thing! There is some great info in that thread from some of the most respected members on these boards! I plan on using some of thier collective ideas once I get the GHA under control.

Anyways, after reading the entire thread and 4 hours later, I decided to give this API Algafix a shot. No one ever reported it killing anything other then some inverts and the algae, so it can't be totally bad. I figure worst case scenario is I kill all my livestock and corals and start over with actual LR, may still do this depending on the outcome of this little experiment.

Directions are quite vague on this stuff, so going by what others have had work in this other thread. Quite simply you add 1ml per 10G every 3 days, simple as that. Most people reported not seeing any difference until the fifth or sixth dose, so I'm not hoping for much for a couple weeks.

Fingers crossed this works as I really don't want to tear the entire tank apart and start over fresh.

When my lights come on I'll post some pictures of how bad it is, and I'll keep posting weekly updates on how its progressing.

Unread 12/19/2016, 09:15 AM   #453
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Keep us updated, I'm curious to see the results.

My tank actually came with a bottle from the previous owner, I just chalked it up to a voodoo cure and would never really consider using it.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 09:17 AM   #454
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have used it in FW numerous times and it works fairly well. Watch the O2 levels in the tank which shouldn't be an issue with the skimmer and sump but keep an eye on it. I prefer peroxide though you might need a strong enough dose that inverts are at risk...

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 09:27 AM   #455
homer1475
Registered Member

As promised some pics of how bad the algae is in my tank. Keep in mind I've beaten the long stuff back, and only have this fuzzy covering on everything including my coral which are suffering to say the least.

Around my goni

right side of tank and the lowest rock which has it the worst as I can't reach all the way to scrub it off.

Left side

FTS

Unread 12/19/2016, 09:37 AM   #456
soulpatch
Registered Member

thats not horrid but some of those corals like that acan I would yank off the rocks and put on a frag rack or something till you get it under control.

Unread 12/19/2016, 09:48 AM   #457
homer1475
Registered Member

Problem with the acans, even on a frag rack, they get covered in algae. I tried that at first to save them, but the rack got covered in algae and it made it worse. That is actually one of the better looking ones. Some of the ones on my sandbed are really loosing out.

What I find odd though, corals that fully inflate daily(goni, lobo, hammer, torch, octo, etc), have no algae on them, but certain ones like the acans that the algae seems to love, have really suffered.

Unread 12/19/2016, 09:49 AM   #458
soulpatch
Registered Member

I would simply dip the rack in peroxide every week to keep it at bay then.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unread 12/19/2016, 10:04 AM   #459
homer1475
Registered Member

It used to be way worse, but continual twice weekly scrubbing's have left it in this short almost turf like state.

Unread 12/19/2016, 03:16 PM   #460
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

The best weapon I have found against hair algae is a sea hare.

CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 03:43 PM   #461
Rakie
In Memoriam

idk man, everything looks like something is funky with your water still to me. Maybe your RO/DI filters are faulty, or something super out of left field.. But that's what I'm thinking the culprit has to be. Because no matter how hard you keep battling it, it's easily clinging to life.

The only thing you've got to be putting into your tank regularly is water, via ATO and water changes.

In Cali, we've had a HUGE problem because the cities started increasing chloramines without warning. it even affected large coral sellers like Unique Corals and various LFS. Even with really nice and properly maintained double chloramine filters... The increase was too much for them to handle. Some places are running 3-4 chloramine filters now, on top of DI, Sediment, RO, etc etc..

i still say try the triton test. If only to eliminate variables

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2016, 06:54 AM   #462
homer1475
Registered Member

Today is the fifth dose of algaefix.....

While it's not actively growing, it certainly isn't dieing out yet either. I really need to get to the LFS for some more CUC as 99% of them are dead. I don't think I have any snails left, just a few red leg hermits.

I'm going to keep at dosing this stuff and see what happens. Most people didn't start to notice a difference until the fifth or sixth dose.

Rakie, on your suggestion I have sent some tank water and some RO/DI out to triton. I honestly don't think it's going to tell me much, but we'll see.

One advantage to living in a small town, the guy who doses our tap water I know personally. I've asked him about chloromines and they do not use it in our water. The only thing they add to our well water(yes our entire town is run off of several wells deep within the mountains) is chlorine, and fluoride. My water shows only 20TDS out of the tap, 1 TDS going into the DI, and obviously 0 out from the DI.

Unread 12/30/2016, 07:47 AM   #463
dmarkham
Registered Member

Order your CUC from www.reefcleaners.org if you can not make it to a LFS. Also they have a better selection then you find at most local stores. I am fighting off some film algae atm and I know it sucks.

dmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2017, 10:37 AM   #464
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Today is the fifth dose of algaefix.....

While it's not actively growing, it certainly isn't dieing out yet either. I really need to get to the LFS for some more CUC as 99% of them are dead. I don't think I have any snails left, just a few red leg hermits.

I'm going to keep at dosing this stuff and see what happens. Most people didn't start to notice a difference until the fifth or sixth dose.

Rakie, on your suggestion I have sent some tank water and some RO/DI out to triton. I honestly don't think it's going to tell me much, but we'll see.

One advantage to living in a small town, the guy who doses our tap water I know personally. I've asked him about chloromines and they do not use it in our water. The only thing they add to our well water(yes our entire town is run off of several wells deep within the mountains) is chlorine, and fluoride. My water shows only 20TDS out of the tap, 1 TDS going into the DI, and obviously 0 out from the DI.

Any signs of winning yet after another week?

Have you had any luck moving some of the algae from the DT to your fuge portion in the sump? IE if the GHA grows like weeds in the tank put some of that GHA in your sump. It can continue to grow but in a more deisreable place. Sometimes it takes Chateo a while to catch on as well to outcompete the gha.

I have both growing in my fuge area. The pods seem to love the GHA as well. I hve some rubble pieces on top of the marine pure and some of my spheres are not gha balls. LOL.

Unread 01/09/2017, 04:22 PM   #465
Blink2824
Registered Member

Hey Homer, to soulpatch's point- I also let GHA grow in my fuge alongside a clumb of red macro algae and a clump of chaetomorphia. Personally, the GHA currently seems to be growing faster than the Chaeto in my fuge but I like to believe it has definitely helped reduce any GHA I had growing in the DT. I have been needing to put some window tint and actual blinds/shutters up in the house this coming spring so dealing with the extra sunlight and algae it fuels has been a small battle I have had ongoing. Best of luck to you, keep the faith! Your tank and build are looking great otherwise!

Blink2824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 05:40 AM   #466
homer1475
Registered Member

I let whatever wants to grow in the fuge, grow. Which basically means I have some red hair algae, GHA, chaeto, and some other unknown type of algae. Yes the pods love an unclean fuge as they build homes in the detritus and debris. With a mandy and leopard wrasse, I need all the pods I can get.

Anyways it seems I'm at a roadblock of sorts. I'm up to 7 doses of algaefix(56ml total), and nothing looks like its hurting other then my acans. They are so receded they look like bare skeletons. I have never seen them look this bad. No algae is bothering them anymore, and my rocks are finally starting to clean up, but them not opening is starting to worry me. This just started yesterday so I'm going to let it go another day and see what happens.

Lets see what else is going on in my fish life......

Got my triton results back and nothing is out of the ordinary other then slightly elevated levels of PO4(.50). Good to know I guess, but honestly I didn't think they were going to find anything out of wack.

Been having issues with my waveline return pump not coming back on after I shut it off to feed. If I unplug it, and plug it back in it works fine, but turning the EB8 outlet off and back on, it won't restart. Not sure whats going on there but I think I'm going to take it off a triac outlet and out it on a normal relayed outlet and see if it helps.

Got it on the BRS January group buy as there was a couple large purchases I was looking into(mp40's, new RO/DI unit). While I can't afford the mp40's right now, I did buy the 4 stage 150GPD water saver plus unit, and a couple small things like new test kits, ROX carbon(super cheap through the group buy. Bought the 5G pail for just a few more dollars then what I normally pay for the 1G size), and a box of salt.

When my lights come up I'll post a couple pics of my acans as they really do not look good. But if all I lose is a couple 30$ frags of acans and I win the algae battle, I won't be too mad. I've already lost a 100$ plate coral, 80$ alveopora, and several zoa colonies. It's just odd as the acans are the only thing that looks bad, everything else is finally starting to puff up now that they aren't being strangled out by the algae.

I'm going to stop the Algaefix for now and revert back to traditional algae removal procedures, and see if the acans make a comeback.

Unread 01/10/2017, 06:02 AM   #467
homer1475
Registered Member

OOH! It just occurred to me that the other day I changed my lighting. Wonder if thats whats affecting my acans? All I did was drop my whites a few points and bring up my blues. Just changed them back to what they were to rule out the lighting change affecting the acans.

Unread 01/10/2017, 08:16 AM   #468
homer1475
Registered Member

Now that my lights are on I got a couple pics of my poor acans.

Unread 01/10/2017, 08:33 AM   #469
soulpatch
Registered Member

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the acans...

I forgot to jump on the group buy this month and kicking myself for it as I need some things for my calcium reactor, socks, and some more salt. I will have to hold till next month myself...unless they have the preferred reefer sale of 10x before the end of the month.

Unread 01/10/2017, 04:38 PM   #470
Klems
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Ouch. Sorry to hear about the acans...

I forgot to jump on the group buy this month and kicking myself for it as I need some things for my calcium reactor, socks, and some more salt. I will have to hold till next month myself...unless they have the preferred reefer sale of 10x before the end of the month.
@soulpatch.....They have the same sale every week, just a different platform....This week it is on *********

http://www.*********.com/threads/joi...avings.282762/

Klems is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 09:49 AM   #471
soulpatch
Registered Member

I figured as much Klems though I never went to their page on the other forums. Though I can also typically ping RT on here to get a deal as well... I am on a few other forums though I post here the most. I can wait as it is not a big deal. I also have to recover some $$$ from the holiday spending spree for the toddler. I set a budget of $300 for her and went above and beyond that for her and the wife. Then I had a guys weekend back up at Penn State so my drinking bill was well high.

Also they have this place call are you hungry. You would think a hoagie roll with steak, chicken fingers, fries, mozz sticks, ketchup, and a bit more cheese would be too much but after $200 at the bar man they are delish...

Unread 01/15/2017, 02:37 PM   #472
homer1475
Registered Member

Update on the Algafix.....

I have stopped using it now after loosing every acan in my tank(about 6 frags). I ended up dosing 72ML over the course of 9 doses. it definitely helped and everything else in my tank is fine. My other LPS's even look better now that they aren't being bothered by the algae.

Whats odd is they were all fine one day, the next day when I got home from work they were all closed up like the above pictures. I know it was overnight only because I was keeping a close eye on all the coral for any change because of the Algaefix.

I ended the dosing with a 3 day blackout and today is the first day of the lights being back on. Only other thing that even looks slightly odd is my goniopora, and only because its not open like it usually is. I'll give it another day to respond to light before I start to worry about it.

I'll post some pics later. Their really is a difference in the amount of algae, and I never got a big cyano bloom others reported seeing. I still have algae on my rocks, but it's no where near as bad. The fuzzy chiton I added(I bought 2 but one died in shipping) is mowing over the rocks like a champ, and anywhere he's been the rock is pure white. I actually have some coralline growing on the rocks now. A step in the right direction I guess.

I hope I'm finally winning this battle and can start to restock the tank with corals since I've lost so many. The tank looks kind of bare with the exception of my torch which has easily tripled in size since going into this tank.

Unread 01/18/2017, 06:07 AM   #473
homer1475
Registered Member

Woke up this morning and after browsing RC for a couple hours, figured it was about time I gave back to the one website I visit the most and have leaned the most about this hobby from.

I would encourage anyone else to do the same as who knows how long a place such as this would remain if people did not donate a few measly bucks to the website. For all we spend in this hobby, 24$ a year to support a place we all learn from is a mere drop in a bucket. H*ll it's less then a bucket of salt, or in most cases, less then a coral frag!

Unread 01/19/2017, 06:53 AM   #474
homer1475
Registered Member

Small update....

All my Acans died. But the algae is finally starting to die out and everything else is making a nice comeback.

In other news I got my new BRS water saver plus 4 stage unit in the other day and finally had time yesterday to get it setup.

Hooked up in my utility closet above the washer and dryer. Yes I know its bare sheetrock, we just never got that closet finished when we remodeled. And since its behind doors, we just never thought to finish it once we started using it.

Since my unit is in one room and my Brutes are in another I decided to plumb in a couple shut offs to clear the TDS creep from the 30 some odd foot line. I also installed my spare TDS meter in there to see when the incoming line is at 0, and what the TDS is in my brute(it will shock you if the water sits unsealed for a couple days!).

And the other shutoff to run out the TDS creep.

I'm surprised what a good unit can accomplish!

I can fill my brutes in a couple hours instead of the 10 to 12 hours it use to take. I'm also in the sweet spot for PSI at 65 going into the membranes. I'm also getting a nice 1:1 production to waste ratio.Out of my RO I'm down to 1 TDS, At that rate I won't burn through DI in a long time.

Last edited by homer1475; 01/19/2017 at 07:06 AM.
Unread 01/31/2017, 05:23 AM   #475
homer1475
Registered Member

Small update for anyone following, or for my own sh*ts and giggles.......

The algafix did work but at the cost of my acans. Now I'm fighting bryopsis and stumbled across a thread that uses a human pill for yeast infections. It works for the few people that have used it with no loss to livestock. So you simply take these pills open them up, mix the contents with some RO/DI and dump in your tank. So I ordered some in and gave it a shot. I'm only on day 4 so nothing to report as most didn't start to see a reduction until day 5 or 6.

Anyways, I got off work early yesterday so I figured I would make the 2 1/2 hour drive to my LFS to see if he had any acans that I liked(i really miss my acans, they are one of my favorite corals). Just so happens he had a nice frag of rainbow lords, and a nice red lord with big fat polyps. Both came home with me.

The LFS I go to periodically offer SW classes ranging from beginner to advanced. They have an advanced class in fragging coming up so I thought what the h*ll I'll need to frag some corals sooner or later so I signed myself up. For 50$ you get the class, a bunch of frag plugs, coral glue(I wonder if they know super glue gel works just as good and is hella cheaper?), a fragging kit, and 4 to 5 frags that we cut(frag amounts depends on how many we get to cutting given the 3 hour time limit). Pretty stoked to take this class as I'm in need of some corals as my tank has taken a decent hit in coral amounts since moving to this tank and having all the issues I've been having.

In other tank news.....

Got in a nice dosing line holder for super cheap from a hobbyist who own a 3D printer and makes stuff for the hobby. If your in need of something thats not normal and can be printed, look him up. They have an online store front and have most of the typical stuff we use in stock(dosing line holders, float switch holders, MP driver holders, frag racks, etc), and will custom print anything you need. printedreefingsolutions.com

All my other corals are doing quite well. My goniopora has grown again(going to need to frag it here pretty soon), and is regularly dropping babies which I've been mounting to frag plugs with super glue, but none seem to take and eventually die off. The plating monti that I broke off a rock and scrubbed said rock in peroxide has miraculously regrown and reattached to the mother colony from one single polyp that was left alive after the peroxide. I'm quite amazed at how resilient this coral is!

Added some more snails to help with the clean up, and a couple fuzzy chitons! Cool little guys and they clean everything off the rock right down to it being white again. Their pretty easy to find right now as I just have to follow the trail of white. lol Wish I could find a couple more as they are great at eating everything in their path and move around at a decent clip, but no one online has them right now.

In a couple hours when my lights come up I'll post a couple pics.