Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2018, 10:51 AM   #1
praveen956
Registered Member

How Single Vortech Pump Create Random Flow

All, I'm having a difficult time in understanding how a single vortech pump will create random flow within reef tank. I somewhat understand different modes but still they all flow in one direction.

I have a 40 breeder and got a new MP40 and already own an old MP10. I'm not sure if I have to use both the pumps or just the one MP40 would work.

I wish to avoid 2 pumps for below reasons:
1. I dont like to place the second pump on the other side of the tank as it is a viewing side as well.
2. I'm concerned about too much flow even at low settings.

Its an LPS tank with just a couple of SPS frags on top and I want to provide the best environment for the corals to thrive in. Please add your thoughts on this.

praveen956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 04:48 PM   #2
ramseynb
Registered Member

Just one MP40 would work IMO. It might even be too much. I have a 38G tank and have 3 MP10s two on one side and one on the other side. I've had just two with the same tank before and it was plenty of flow but since I had the extra laying around, I decided to add it as well. Ecotech has a calculator on flow somewhere on their site where you tell them what size tank you have and they make suggestions based on the types of coral you're keeping.

If you put it in reef crest random, it will ramp up and down in speed which will create a random flow pattern. I keep them in reef crest mode pretty much all the time but once a day or so I'll put them in nutrient export mode.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 06:57 PM   #3
praveen956
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramseynb View Post
Just one MP40 would work IMO. It might even be too much. I have a 38G tank and have 3 MP10s two on one side and one on the other side. I've had just two with the same tank before and it was plenty of flow but since I had the extra laying around, I decided to add it as well. Ecotech has a calculator on flow somewhere on their site where you tell them what size tank you have and they make suggestions based on the types of coral you're keeping.

If you put it in reef crest random, it will ramp up and down in speed which will create a random flow pattern. I keep them in reef crest mode pretty much all the time but once a day or so I'll put them in nutrient export mode.

The vortech reef calculater did say one mp40 will have plenty of power for my tank.. i was just concerned about the flow in just one direction.. as you suggested, the reef crest mode might take care of it.

Btw, I currently placed the mp10(which will be replaced by mp40) on the side of the tank more closer towards the front of the glass.. i did this to create circular flow in the tank.. not sure if I should place in at the dead center. Do you have any recommendations?! Below are some pictures .. thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

praveen956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 05:55 AM   #4
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

I have one mp10QD in my 40 gallon and it's plenty.

gprdypoo04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, mp40, vortech