Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old Today, 05:31 PM   #276
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

I'm still in pre-beautiful stage. As soon as the snow melts, I might try and slip out to do some sanding.

Thanks for elaborating Dawn! The smaller the tank, the easier the fake wall! I really love mine. For the wood decoration, you can use real wood. If you have a creek or river nearby you can collect whatever looks good. Throw it in a trash can of water to waterlog it. That's what I did in my fresh water planted tank. I've seen some pretty fancy wood for sale at my LFS lately too.

Adding new macro species sounds like fun. So jealous! I think jaw fish (two!) would work well with ponies. They're quite shy. I haven't tried them in my tank because I keep faster-moving fish. From past experience, I consider jawfish better in a sea horse tank, rather than a fast community tank. If you don't have one already, a top is recommended to keep them from jumping. They'll be so cool in your tank!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Macro Algae Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00 PM   #277
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I'm still in pre-beautiful stage. As soon as the snow melts, I might try and slip out to do some sanding.

Thanks for elaborating Dawn! The smaller the tank, the easier the fake wall! I really love mine. For the wood decoration, you can use real wood. If you have a creek or river nearby you can collect whatever looks good. Throw it in a trash can of water to waterlog it. That's what I did in my fresh water planted tank. I've seen some pretty fancy wood for sale at my LFS lately too.

Adding new macro species sounds like fun. So jealous! I think jaw fish (two!) would work well with ponies. They're quite shy. I haven't tried them in my tank because I keep faster-moving fish. From past experience, I consider jawfish better in a sea horse tank, rather than a fast community tank. If you don't have one already, a top is recommended to keep them from jumping. They'll be so cool in your tank!
I already have a screened top. I know blennies can be jumpers too so I am good that way.

I'd like to add a shaving brush and a mermaids fan. I know they go through a die off period so I maybe should not do those while keeping ponies. I might need to look into that more.

I did not know that wood could go in a marine tank. That is definitely interesting. Do you know of any threads of an aquarist doing it in a saltwater tank?

vlangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:56 PM   #278
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

I've yet to build my new screen top - another system project to do. I built one for my QT, so I at least I have practice.

I have seen a few salt water planted tanks with wood, but not many. Google. I think wood preserves well in salt water. Tannins leeching out could color the water, but charcoal, etc. would take care of that.

What are the characteristics of a sea horse-friendly macro? I'd imagine if die off is bad, then caulerpa going sexual would be bad as well. But you have caulerpa. Has it caused you any problems? Sargassum might be a good horsey haven. They could blend in with it! But I've heard that one's hard to keep. A seagrass might work in your clean setup. Seagrasses can thrive in low nutrient conditions that macros cannot.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Macro Algae Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass