Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/10/2014, 10:32 AM   #1
jcarlsen88
Registered Member

Question 55 Gallon Questions

Hello All! This is my first official post, so I'll try to keep my questions concise for the time being, but I'll probably be posting a lot more as I really start getting into this…

So, things: I recently acquired a 55 gallon long tank from my cousin for Christmas, and that's about all I have to work with for now. I'm looking to start a FOWLR tank with the option to add easy to keep corals as the tank matures. I've got some experience keeping freshwater aquariums, but this will be my first SW tank, and I've been doing a lot of reading. A lot of things are fairly clear to me, but I've got some questions…

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for an overflow? I'm looking to drill the aquarium and have an overflow box on the inside.

Quick note: The tank itself is branded All-Glass, which as I understand is now part of Aqueon. I've been in contact with a representative about whether the sides are tempered or not, and they said the sides are likely plate, but just in case, I've got polarized glasses to test it on.

I've seen quite a few options from herbie, to bean animal, to glass holes, and I'm sure everyone will have a favorite, but I'm wondering what everyone here's had the most success with? Like anybody, I'm looking for something that's very reliable and quiet, and I don't mind putting in extra work to make it so.

2. I've been having a difficult time finding a stand that's not very expensive. I've found the one here which seems reasonably priced and generally well reviewed: http://www.petco.com/product/101396/...ium-Stand.aspx. But I'm also seeing complaints that it's not entirely water proof and that it'll bubble up when spilled on. Anyone have any experience/recommendations about this or any other stand that's not more than this?

Anyways, let me know if you need any clarifications on anything. I'm still very green with all of this, but I'm eager to learn!

jcarlsen88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, overflow, stand