Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2019, 08:27 PM   #1
maxymia000
Registered Member

Help with a Torch

I received a new Torch about 2 weeks ago. It’s been slowly looking worse on one side-almost like something is eating into it. Can anyone give me any info on what’s happening here? Is there anything I can do? It’s such a beauty![
IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190107/08a11424036babe8b0466cf0dad5ee97.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxymia000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 08:38 PM   #2
Dsekula
Registered Member

I don't think the picture posted correctly, I cannot see it.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 08:41 PM   #3
maxymia000
Registered Member

Thanks....Can you see this one?

Unread 01/06/2019, 08:51 PM   #4
Dsekula
Registered Member

Yes, how long has it been there? I just ask because it seems shaded and ime euphyellia like more not less light than most other lps and it looks like you have others in more light.
That beeing said their also a little more adaptable than most to different flow and light so without par readings etc its a shot in the dark anyway (I don't have those either btw and I have many euphyellia) . I don't see anything specificly wrong with that specimen so if it's a new addition I'd leave it where it is and let it adjust before changing anything personally.

Unread 01/06/2019, 08:56 PM   #5
maxymia000
Registered Member

Ok thanks. I do have it under some rockwork so maybe I’ll move it out. My concern is the part in the center. When I first got it-only 2 weeks ago, both heads were close together. The right side has been sliding down and exposing that white decayed looking area in the middle. It almost looks like something took a chunk out of it-but I only have an emerald crab who couldn’t even do that! And the torches in the front aren’t extending. Always something!

Unread 01/06/2019, 09:27 PM   #6
Dsekula
Registered Member

The white area looks like it's newly exposed, I was thinking it was cut when it was fragged. Decay would be brown and slime looking on the fleshy parts. If it was a poor frag job (no offense to whoever did it, it happens to the best of us) the pieces could just be falling apart which isn't a concern since any head will live independently. If it's a coral you've had a while the heads do naturally separate as they grow to have more room. As far as not extending goes, if all your normal parameters are stable I wouldn't worry too much since they do go through points of beeing more or less extended as they grow. If it's completely retracted for more than a day (the entire head) and all your paramataters remain stable, at that point I'd do a dip in what ever antibacterial (iodine type) solution you choose just to rule out bacteria etc.
If your going to move it for more light I'd try a very small move. Maybe do one head where it is and the other out of the under croping to see which one seems happier that way you can compair and make a decision.

Unread 01/15/2019, 11:31 PM   #7
ShadowR55
Registered Member

I found that my torches do better in higher random flow, and medium light

ShadowR55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 08:35 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Oh that looks like someone had lunch!

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 09:05 PM   #9
maxymia000
Registered Member

Thanks for all your advice. With a little TLC and patience he is doing fantastic!