Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2016, 05:11 PM   #76
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

I'm looking forward to seeing you raise a couple hundred of them

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 09:14 PM   #77
hbrochs
Registered Member

The eggs hatched tonight, eight days after the clutch was laid. I must have gotten over a hundred fry tonight. I turned the lights out early, and turned the room lights off to get it dark. Then about an hour later, the tank was swarming with fry. Used a small cup, and a really fine soft net. Got about 4 gallons of water in my 10 gallon tank. Added rotifers and tinted the water green. Super pleased that I got so many.

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine SR-80
hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2016, 06:51 AM   #78
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Sweet, looking forward to pictures and their growth!

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Unread 03/16/2016, 06:17 PM   #79
hbrochs
Registered Member

Just a bunch of little black specks right now, crazy how fast they grow. As small as they are, they are noticeably bigger than yesterday. I wonder if I should crank up the airstone more with so many fry? Or maybe a second airstone ?

Unread 03/17/2016, 05:48 AM   #80
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrochs View Post

Just a bunch of little black specks right now, crazy how fast they grow. As small as they are, they are noticeably bigger than yesterday. I wonder if I should crank up the airstone more with so many fry? Or maybe a second airstone ?
Awesome! THose are some productive parent clowns you have going there!

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2016, 05:31 AM   #81
hbrochs
Registered Member

This is the current set up. I've got the two month old guys on the left, and four day old fry on the right. The drip bottle balance between them is always dripping into one tank or another. Feeding rotifers twice a day. The little guys are getting their first stripe. It's hard to really capture on an iPhone pic.

Unread 03/22/2016, 08:38 AM   #82
hbrochs
Registered Member

The little guys are a week old now. Just did a one gallon water change last night. Dripping the fresh saltwater in over several hours. I added TDO A food to the rotifers, and they all are developing the first stripe. SOO hard to get a decent photo.

Unread 03/22/2016, 09:35 AM   #83
LakersReef
Registered Member

Great thread. Following along to see the progress.

LakersReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 03:46 PM   #84
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

My clown just laid her eggs 5days ago. I'm starting to see some visual changes in the eggs. They are developing a white'ish/silver spot. Which I thought you said that means they are growing.

They are attached to the underside of my montipora, should I remove them or leave them be? And by remove I mean break off the piece of coral that the eggs are attached to.

Sorry to hijack your thread for this question but this has never happened in any of my tanks.

Unread 03/23/2016, 08:20 AM   #85
hbrochs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
My clown just laid her eggs 5days ago. I'm starting to see some visual changes in the eggs. They are developing a white'ish/silver spot. Which I thought you said that means they are growing.

They are attached to the underside of my montipora, should I remove them or leave them be? And by remove I mean break off the piece of coral that the eggs are attached to.

Sorry to hijack your thread for this question but this has never happened in any of my tanks.

No worries, is this the first time they have laid eggs? It will probably take several clutches of eggs before you get a worthwhile hatch. You have a choice of letting them hatch in your main tank, or attempting to move them to a separate tank the day before they will hatch. I would read Pickle's thread on clownfish breeding. You will need some time to set up the fry tank with airstone, heater, light, and rotifers.

I keep a notebook, to keep track of things. My eggs typically hatch on the eighth night, about an hour after lights out.

Unread 03/23/2016, 08:34 AM   #86
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
No worries, is this the first time they have laid eggs? It will probably take several clutches of eggs before you get a worthwhile hatch. You have a choice of letting them hatch in your main tank, or attempting to move them to a separate tank the day before they will hatch. I would read Pickle's thread on clownfish breeding. You will need some time to set up the fry tank with airstone, heater, light, and rotifers.

I keep a notebook, to keep track of things. My eggs typically hatch on the eighth night, about an hour after lights out.
Thank you for that info.

Yes, this is the first go around.

I will start reading now for the future , thanks

Unread 03/25/2016, 07:43 AM   #87
kolei
Registered Member

In my opinion, I would not break the monti off since they tend to lay eggs in the same spot. If you break it off, it may delay the next clutch since they have to prep a new location.

You may have to just scoop them out on hatch night.

kolei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2016, 03:17 PM   #88
carrots
Registered Member

How is the striping on your babies? The only batch I raised had about 70% with normal lines. The others had broken stripes or the lines would stop half way down their body, fewer stripes on one side than the other.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2016, 08:15 PM   #89
hbrochs
Registered Member

The babies are only 10 days old now, so it's hard to say if their stripes are complete and normal. I've read that incomplete stripes, or misbars can be related to water quality. Right now they all have one stripe. My older batch that are 2 and a half months old are about 30% misbars.

Unread 03/26/2016, 05:29 PM   #90
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post

The great thing about CF breeding is you don't have to be in a hurry. They will lay another clutch in a couple of weeks. If you don't harvest this batch another will be along very soon! In the interim, you've got free live fish/coral food!

For harvesting fry from a DT, you might try the larval trap made by, IIRC, Chad Vossen. You could also try putting a clay flower pot near the monti and see if they would switch to it. Then you can swap it for a new flower pot the day before hatch is expected.

Unread 03/26/2016, 05:32 PM   #91
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
SOO hard to get a decent photo.
You have nothing to apologize for. They look like little dust specks in real life just like your pics!

Unread 03/29/2016, 09:45 PM   #92
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Double post

Last edited by FullBoreReefer; 03/29/2016 at 09:54 PM.
FullBoreReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2016, 09:50 PM   #93
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnaquanut View Post
The great thing about CF breeding is you don't have to be in a hurry. They will lay another clutch in a couple of weeks. If you don't harvest this batch another will be along very soon! In the interim, you've got free live fish/coral food!

For harvesting fry from a DT, you might try the larval trap made by, IIRC, Chad Vossen. You could also try putting a clay flower pot near the monti and see if they would switch to it. Then you can swap it for a new flower pot the day before hatch is expected.
Well tonight was the night, pumps just happen to be turned off from me feeding my mandarin just before lights out. I left all the pumps off for awhile since crabs were cleaning up the debris. Grabbed my flashlight, and BAM! They were everywhere! I'd say at least 30-40. Once I put light on them the female started gulping them down lol and the same with a few of my damsels. Scooped out about 10 and tossed in the fuge, at least it has slow flow. I know I don't properly have what they need for this go around, but I just still can't believe they hatched, first time ever! And there was a lot!

Welp, I better keep on reading...

Unread 03/31/2016, 06:24 PM   #94
hbrochs
Registered Member

Congrats on the babies!!

Here's a video of day 16 fry, and almost 3 month old fish.

I sold five of the bigger ones back to the lfs a few days ago and they are doing well in their tank.

Unread 04/01/2016, 09:07 PM   #95
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Congrats on the babies!!

Here's a video of day 16 fry, and almost 3 month old fish.

I sold five of the bigger ones back to the lfs a few days ago and they are doing well in their tank.
You are the man, great work!

Unread 04/02/2016, 11:19 AM   #96
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Well last night she laid round two. And your were right, the egg count has easily doubled if not tripled!

Luckily my tank is in wall and I can see from the backside of the tank because like stated by someone else, they choose the same location which cannot be seen from the front viewing panel.

Although my phone kept wanting to focus on the glass and rocks that were closer, I was able to get a somewhat decent picture. Unfortunately I dont have a fancy camera.

Unread 04/09/2016, 01:59 PM   #97
hbrochs
Registered Member

Day 25, feeding frenzy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/10/2016, 02:51 AM   #98
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

That's a bunch of babies! So how many do you figure you have, and will you be raising anymore clutches of eggs?

Unread 04/10/2016, 06:43 AM   #99
hbrochs
Registered Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
That's a bunch of babies! So how many do you figure you have, and will you be raising anymore clutches of eggs?
Thanks, I'm thinking I might have 140-150? They're hard to count, lol.

Not sure I'm going to raise any more right now. I've got two tanks of clownfish, and I don't think I can / want to handle any more than that. I do really enjoy doing it, and watching the growth cycle. Buying rotifers and rotifer feed is not cheap. Especially with shipping. If there were a store or hobbyist near me where I could get a bag of rotifers reasonable price, then I might do it more often. Once they are past eating rotifers, it becomes much easier.

The other thing to consider is what to do with all the fish? Two clutches ago, I only had like 38 fish. I gave away like 10 fish, and sold some back to the lfs. I have a good relationship with my lfs, but I don't think they need 150 clownfish. The last consideration is vacation. It's not easy to go away when you've got baby clownfish.

The lfs put me in touch with a High School student that has been trying to do a research project on raising clownfish. She's been trying for 7 months and her pair is not laying eggs. I'm going to try to give her the next clutch to raise for her school project.

Unread 04/10/2016, 11:07 AM   #100
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Day 25, feeding frenzy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could watch them eat all day long. awesome! Nice work.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote