Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2012, 09:55 PM   #1
twilson
Registered Member

Air Stones

I am not sure why but i like the look of air stones. There is just something about those bubbles. I can't seem to find a thread on here that talks about the pros and cons of them. I imagine that they increase the evaporation but are there other draw backs ? Are there any positives? Also has any one come up with a cool way of hiding the tubing ? I know this Is alot of questions for one thread but before you ask; no I am not planning on putting a bubbling treasure chest or snorting dragon in my reef. I just like the bubbles.

twilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Sure you can try to hide the tubing in the corner or behind rock work etc. I don't think they have many negatives. They promote oxygen/ gas exchange , aeration, water circulation, pretty and playful bubbles for little fishes. I think most people feel they are gimmicky cuz everyone has $500 water circulation pumps and power heads and skimmers that do all that .

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Michigan Mike

Ps, in my gold fish tank ...I have a bubbling clam...keep it on the hush will ya...lol

Unread 06/07/2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

Not sure but I was told it adds CO2 to the tank. Don't quote me on that just read it somewhere.

Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 02:19 AM   #5
heathlindner25
Moved On

Two words: salt creep!!!

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Michigan Mike

I've had heavy planted tanks and when the lights when out the plants produce heavy co2 and had to add a airstone to the tank to keep my fish from gasping at the surface at night. Salt creep would be an issue so you have to have a glass cover over it. It's taboo to have glass or covered tanks and I don't get this because it's easy to maintain decent gas exchange and heat issues with power heads or and airstone. All my covered tanks have a 2" open gap in the back they are not totally covered and it works for me, and I've been griped at for it ( get off it there's more than one way to skin a cat)... I would think people that have sumps with skimmer and ato wouldn't have these issues anyway but there easy to take dare of if you need less evaporation, jumping fish or heat/ cool issues. Whoa bit off topic there sorry.lol

Unread 06/08/2012, 06:37 AM   #7
sjnovakovich
Moved On

One of the issues with a glass lid on a reef tank is that regular glass can filter out some of the light waves that are beneficial to coral growth.

sjnovakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 06:41 AM   #8
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mike View Post
All my covered tanks have a 2" open gap in the back they are not totally covered and it works for me, and I've been griped at for it ( get off it there's more than one way to skin a cat)... I would think people that have sumps with skimmer and ato wouldn't have these issues anyway but there easy to take dare of if you need less evaporation, jumping fish or heat/ cool issues. Whoa bit off topic there sorry.lol
And by the way, I happen to be a cat lover (picking up a Flamepoint Siamese kitten on Saturday) and I'm not so fond of knowing how many ways you can skin my cat! Just kidding. And you are right about there being many ways to approach and solve problems in this hobby.

Unread 06/08/2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Michigan Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
And by the way, I happen to be a cat lover (picking up a Flamepoint Siamese kitten on Saturday) and I'm not so fond of knowing how many ways you can skin my cat! Just kidding. And you are right about there being many ways to approach and solve problems in this hobby.
Lol! Me too, I have an awesome Siamese that I found as a 6-7 week old kitten crossing five lanes of busy street by my house. He loves water too it's the funniest thing, he thinks he's a dog and goes everywhere my dogs go, even stays in the yard! Lol. Yup I hate being told over and over that I'm not doing it right. Someone's way might not work for another....jeez if I had a problem I work a way around it just like everyone else.

Unread 06/08/2012, 08:18 AM   #10
ken55
A wing and a prayer

I won't try to get into the whole gas exchange conversation but the reason I don't care for bubbles is the salt creep. Every time a bubble hits the surface and pops it splashes out a tiny amount of the salt. It may not seem like much but trust me, it will build up quickly. Even if you do use a glass top the salt will cake up on the underside in no time.

But hey, if you don't mind the wiping and like the bubbles then go for it! I think some people loose sight of the idea that it's your tank and you should be able to enjoy it the way you choose to. (This is not a jab at anyone in this thread, just a generalized opinion)

ken55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Michigan Mike

Okay fess up Time- I've have an air wand on the right side of another 29g tank and have had no issues with salt creep, if it was placed near the gap I'm sure it would tho.

Unread 06/08/2012, 09:14 AM   #12
ken55
A wing and a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mike View Post
Okay fess up Time- I've have an air wand on the right side of another 29g tank and have had no issues with salt creep, if it was placed near the gap I'm sure it would tho.
Really? That's great. I try my best to keep bubbles to a minimum and still fight the creep. If a hermit crab so much as farts the creep starts to build. And it's not like I'm obsessive about it either. Mayby I'm going about it wrong.

ken55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 10:45 AM   #13
Donkeykong
Registered Member

I hae seen two tanks try and use airstones, both were removed because they could not get a handle on the salt creep. One of them was actually doing ok but it had the airstone dead center and the lights were up high so the splash of the bubbles didnt have anything to hit, but it looked weird with bubbles right in the center so he removed it. I dont understand how this would add C02? If this was true everybody running a skimmer would be having this issue.

Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeykong View Post
I hae seen two tanks try and use airstones, both were removed because they could not get a handle on the salt creep. One of them was actually doing ok but it had the airstone dead center and the lights were up high so the splash of the bubbles didnt have anything to hit, but it looked weird with bubbles right in the center so he removed it. I dont understand how this would add C02? If this was true everybody running a skimmer would be having this issue.

I agree w/c02. I read it on some forum and thought the same as you. That's why I said don't quote me on it. I believe it was ********* but not positive. I don't see that adding an air stone would bring any negative aspects to the tank. It would add 02 to water column and movement. Just not for me but if you like it like said its your tank and experiment w/it. JMO

Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 11:36 AM   #15
apercele79
Registered Member

I love the look as well but i was told not to use it with saltwater tanks

apercele79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 12:16 PM   #16
Cymonous
My Clown Attacks Me

This thread has Risen! Risen from the grave!

Current Tank Info: 2 False Percula Clowns, One Spot Foxface, Diamond Watchman Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, Engineer Goby
Cymonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 01:35 PM   #17
gone fishin
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 02:51 PM   #18
MiracleFish
Registered Member

I had a air stone in my nano reef for a while, It was located in my sump to help put up my pH. However after almost a year I took it out and realized it made no difference if I kept it in or just opened the window . I keep my window cracked a few times a days to help with the oxygen exchange.

As I see it, its basically only negatives to have an air stone.

MiracleFish is offline   Reply With Quote