Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2018, 01:51 PM   #5826
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthu526 View Post
I don’t really have a go to place. I go to the ones you mentioned the most except Reef Shac. I just got a copper band butterfly from Atlanta Aquarium yesterday. Finally found one eating well.
I am in Suwannee. Where are you at? Based on the stores you go to I am guessing you are not too far from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm in town in the old fourth ward. Always a hike to get to the shops out in the suburbs.

rmcgookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 07:36 PM   #5827
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcgookey View Post
I'm in town in the old fourth ward. Always a hike to get to the shops out in the suburbs.

Oh WOW! You do have a bit of travel to get to those stores.

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 07:39 PM   #5828
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
The Maldives Juvi (Medium) just arrived Saturday from Live Aquaria (Cali). Multiple mixups delayed the shipment but he arrived.

Very tiny. Maybe 2-2.5 inches. Link to a youtube video from today (day 3) nipping at a clam.

https://youtu.be/fxuwEkq4Jso

He's sectioned off in my display by egg crate. Only a firefish and goby can get through. Went through a long temp controlled drip acclimation followed by 7 minute freshwater dip upon delivery Saturday. He's very shy as expected, he does venture out into the open a little at a time.

He's nipped at rock, algae, and a thawed frozen clam. He has not gone for flake food, frozen mysis, rods, multiple types of pellets, masstick. Garlic enhanced doesnt seem to help. Have not tried live clam or any other live foods. I've had luck getting them onto flakes early but this guy is not interested!

Anyone who recently acquired one of these small Maldives recently have luck feeding? Would love some advice on food and technique. It's only day 3 but reading about some eating on day 1.

Thanks!

Try brine shrimp. The fish is too small to eat mysis . I have had one a month ago and it ate well but the tank crashed due to my stupidity and it died along with other inhabitants. Very sad.

Unread 03/27/2018, 06:51 PM   #5829
Rio1969
Registered Member

Picked up this fella over the weekend from a LFS. He is about 4 inches long and is currently going through TTM. So far I have gotten him to eat clam on the half shell and some mysis. The LFS said he was a Red Sea Regal.
On day 1 he was very timid but 4 days later he is much more active and no longer so timid.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Regal_Angelfish2.jpg (70.5 KB, 60 views)
Rio1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2018, 09:13 PM   #5830
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio1969 View Post
Picked up this fella over the weekend from a LFS. He is about 4 inches long and is currently going through TTM. So far I have gotten him to eat clam on the half shell and some mysis. The LFS said he was a Red Sea Regal.

On day 1 he was very timid but 4 days later he is much more active and no longer so timid.

Nice fish. Glad to hear it is eating. But I am not a fan of TTM mainly due to the transferring procedure. It is just additional fish to injure the fish and also constantly putting the fish into a new environment. I usually use Hypo salinity.

Unread 03/27/2018, 09:14 PM   #5831
Hooligan
Registered Member

Rio1969, out of curiosity, how do you sterilize that rock for reuse in TTM?

Unread 03/28/2018, 04:47 AM   #5832
Rio1969
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Rio1969, out of curiosity, how do you sterilize that rock for reuse in TTM?
I don't reuse the rock, I put all the rocks I use in a tub it the garage with a powerhead and leave them there for at least 76 days. For each transfer I use a fresh rock from the DT.

Unread 03/28/2018, 06:40 PM   #5833
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
Try brine shrimp. The fish is too small to eat mysis . I have had one a month ago and it ate well but the tank crashed due to my stupidity and it died along with other inhabitants. Very sad.

what caused the tank crash??? sorry to hear.

Unread 03/28/2018, 06:43 PM   #5834
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
what caused the tank crash??? sorry to hear.

I put live sponges in there without knowing that the sponges were actually foul. By the time I smelled the water they were already in the tank. The next morning I woke up with four dead fish.

Unread 03/28/2018, 07:08 PM   #5835
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Update. Day 5. Baby Regal is still shy but slightly getting comfortable. Tank is a peninsula with a very open rock structure which doesn't help. Still not eating from the water column, tried a lot including flakes that have always worked for me in the past as an early transition. He nibbles on live rock, frozen clam, algae but I can't tell if he's really taking it down. So timid. Still separated via tank partition and even explores up to the eggcrate to look at the other fish from their sleeping spots... So interesting to see the territorial aspects of fish when they can't get to their bed.

https://youtu.be/GkxYpsmJB-4

Any advice as to good food for a baby to get into much appreciated. Good news is he's testing things by nibbling, just not taking it down...

Much appreciated. Joined this thread long ago and happy it's still in action. Also, based on stats, seems most of us lose our regals. And today, based on the healthy inbound younger fish I see folks getting, more success. Hope that's true.

Unread 03/28/2018, 07:35 PM   #5836
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:

Try spreading the masstick along the edges of the clam shell. That worked well for mine.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 07:46 PM   #5837
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Regal Angel Primer

Mine has developed a taste for only pellets and clams on the half shell. I’ve had the indo regal since March 2nd. At first it ate romaine at the lfs and some brine so I fed it that. I feed pellets to my idol and I guess the regal decided to try those instead and now it’s hooked on em.

I feed 3 different pellets and it doesn’t discriminate between the 3 luckily.

Won’t touch frozen, nori, or romaine anymore.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 09:10 PM   #5838
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Try spreading the masstick along the edges of the clam shell. That worked well for mine.
Will do. I’ve positioned masstick in some rock crevices and he’s interested. Will try in a shell. Prob is every time a clam is present the hermits go to town and the fish doesn’t approach. So sensitive. I’ve been displacing hermits to see if that helps

He doesn’t seem into taking down masstick as of yet but he’s on the verge

Thanks

Unread 03/29/2018, 05:27 AM   #5839
alton
Registered Member

When I added my two it took them a while to eat from the water column also. One of the reasons was my office tank was loaded with Mysid shrimp. After they disappeared they started eating Frozen Mysis and Spirulina Brine.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 04:31 PM   #5840
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Day 6. Nibbles on clam, algae, other random foods off live rock. Still curious if my display tank partition method this time is better than a separate QT without the live rock micro fauna and organisms he is getting some nutrition from. Good thing is there’s no competition and I’m cutting off all flow during feeding.

Video from tonight nibbling on a frozen half shell marinated in seachem Entice...

https://youtu.be/eXbRi1QJu2s

Unread 03/29/2018, 06:37 PM   #5841
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Will do. I’ve positioned masstick in some rock crevices and he’s interested. Will try in a shell. Prob is every time a clam is present the hermits go to town and the fish doesn’t approach. So sensitive. I’ve been displacing hermits to see if that helps

He doesn’t seem into taking down masstick as of yet but he’s on the verge

Thanks
I mean to put the masstick on the edge of the shell while the clam is still in it. That way when it’s picking on the clam it will eventually try some of the masstick.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 10:17 PM   #5842
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I mean to put the masstick on the edge of the shell while the clam is still in it. That way when it’s picking on the clam it will eventually try some of the masstick.

Yeah- gotcha. Great idea. He’s interested in tasting the clam but not really taking it down and this could help get him on the masstick. Also need to try masstick on the glass. At least the hermits can’t get to it before the regal. He’s curious and tastes all kinds of stuff- including flake or rods out of the water column. He just spits most of it out. Not sure he’s really injesting much. He does take down some algae from rock and glass at least.

Thanks. Will report back

Unread 03/30/2018, 12:59 AM   #5843
slimfitz
Registered Member

I have wanted one of these for a long time. I am about to try my hand at keeping one. Fingers crossed

slimfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 04:54 AM   #5844
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfitz View Post
I have wanted one of these for a long time. I am about to try my hand at keeping one. Fingers crossed

Get the ones from Liveaquaria. I can’t say enough good things about them. All the Regal I got from them ate within two days. My current four eats from the water column competitively and it’s only been a week. Yesterday I fed six times because I was working from home and they got so full that they don’t even tough the clams anymore.

Unread 03/30/2018, 04:55 AM   #5845
roberthu526
Registered Member

After comparing regale from different sellers I really believe getting a healthy specimen that was collected properly is the key to success.

Unread 03/30/2018, 06:23 PM   #5846
roberthu526
Registered Member

An update to my regal angels

So all four of the regals and copperband butterfly have been eating really well and getting bolder everyday. I think now they have associated me with food because they comes towards the glass when I enter the room, then hide when I lift my hand before I pour food into the tank. And they will rush out and chase food right after it gets in the water.

The sad news is I have lost both goldflake angel in two days. Both showed same symptom with red blotches on the side. I really feel they were not collected properly. Anyway, I will not be ordering goldflakes for a long time. If these angels along with the butterfly makes it through April I will start building a 300G to host them.
https://youtu.be/zDsoUa31pxA

Unread 04/01/2018, 09:37 AM   #5847
Rio1969
Registered Member

I dosed my Regal with Prazi on day 5 and since then he has been eating mysis like a pig.

Unread 04/01/2018, 11:18 PM   #5848
slimfitz
Registered Member

Quote:
Get the ones from Liveaquaria. I can’t say enough good things about them. All the Regal I got from them ate within two days. My current four eats from the water column competitively and it’s only been a week. Yesterday I fed six times because I was working from home and they got so full that they don’t even tough the clams anymore.

I live on Guam. So it will be coming from local waters. Unfortunately it would cost to much to ship him out here from Liveaquaria. I am still waiting on the collector to source one for me here locally. Although I probably could ship him here and pay the shipping fees and it would cost about the same as if I purchased him in the states. They only go for about $40-45 bucks here.

slimfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 08:48 PM   #5849
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Day 13. Divider was removed about 5 days ago. Not being picked on. Hasn’t eaten out of the column until today - and it was a mix of rods and PE mysis with a splash of seachem entice. Good progress.

I noticed LA has some baby Indian Ocean regals available again.

https://youtu.be/uAgYldRLenw

Unread 04/08/2018, 03:19 PM   #5850
roberthu526
Registered Member

My regales have shown aggression and it is getting pretty serious now. I am getting more and more worried.