Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2016, 07:33 PM   #51
OrionN
Moved on

Very nice tank. The green one seem to have recovered. The little peak at him, he seem healthy. One of my green one is going through the same thing right now, and is recovering also. Do you any of your wrasse though the open top? I want to put in some wrasse in my tank but afraid I would loose them through jumping.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2016, 10:59 AM   #52
this is me
Registered Member

Yes. Open top and most wrasses is a problem. After losing a flasher wrasse, I built a mesh using the BRS mesh kit. It works nice. However, I bought a pintail fairy wrasse and it was eating like a pig. I honestly didn't think there was any issue with it. But after about 8 months or so, I found the body on the sand. I started reading and asking how long fairy/flasher live in captivity. The answer I got was about 3-5years. Since then, I haven't wanted to keep wrasses.
My bipartitus and a line spot is the only wrasse left in the tank. I took the screen off when I'm at home watching the tank.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2016, 11:29 AM   #53
OrionN
Moved on

I keep a Leopard wrasse. Will see how mine fare. They are very nice and healthy. I just hope I don't find them on the floor one day. They are sand divers so hope go to the sand she spook rather up.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 08/02/2016, 06:30 PM   #54
this is me
Registered Member

IME, leopard wrasse are a lot more carpet-safe than other wrasses. I've kept bipartitus in my previous smaller rimless without any issue.

Do you have any idea why your green gig shrunk? I didn't want to adjust anything at the time since my purple was perfectly fine when the green one was shrinking. It happens pretty quick too. Over a period of about two weeks, it shrunk from 12" down to ~5". I honestly thought I was going to lose it. I wonder if they're fighting each other through chemical attack. But they're the same species.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Unread 08/02/2016, 06:43 PM   #55
OrionN
Moved on

I mean to said I keep a Leopard Wrasse pair.

Unread 08/04/2016, 05:10 PM   #56
taylor t
Registered Member

I'm not sure why gigs do that. I've had the same thing happen over the last couple years with mine too, different gigs go through a rough patch at different times for different reasons. I've had them collapse from a large meal, a snail, bristle worm, too much KH, too much calcium, lack of water changes, etc. Mine seem to do really well with higher SG, lower SG not so much-changing levels tick them off easy. My water is very far from perfect. Different ones get upset from different reasons. The only thing I can say is, when they collapse, try to step back and think outside the box, as to what could have made them collapse. I had one of my blues collapse from too low flow, and one of my greens too. Upped the flow and back to glory in a few days. I have a purple in the 75 that collapses for days if I add too much calcium at once, every time, like clockwork. None of the others react this way. A couple react negatively with big meals, while a couple others react positively. I've watched a slow decline over months with light too low, only detectable to me by looking back at pictures. The only thing I can say is, none of them are the same! I know what it's like to have one on the decline right next to one doing great, frustrating.

taylor t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2016, 10:34 AM   #57
taylor t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
This makes me wonder how many of those small giganteas are actually a monster at one point.
I agree with this too. I have a blue I got from my buddy Pete a year and a half ago. He had it almost 2 years. While Pete had it, he fed it all the time, large pieces of food. He grew it to at least 20-22", maybe even 24". It got tentacles 4", maybe longer. I never saw a gig with such long tents. It was a real beauty. Then his tanks got neglected, it shrank,(they all regressed), he got out and I bought them all (5 of them). That same blue gig today, the tents are about 1-1.5" long, body is a folded 8" wide, by about 10" long laying between rocks in a crack. Layed out like a plate, it's maybe 12" diameter (a guess if I pulled it and stretched it to measure it). A far cry from what it was. Today, it's healthy, looks good, and I rarely ever feed it (lately, a small piece maybe once a week). It was a monster at one time. If you run across a thread of ptr13 on RC, he refers to this gig as "Goliath", it was a monster at one time. You'd never know it today by looking at it.

taylor t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2016, 04:23 PM   #58
kjay88
Registered Member

Wow I love them all blue purple one is captivating

kjay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 10:54 PM   #59
this is me
Registered Member

An update to this gigantea with its new residents.
These are of C-Quest lineage. I will definitely breed them and raise the fries when they're ready. This way I don't have to search the end of the earth to find the perfect Onyx pair.
Still kicking myself for not taking out the eggs and raise the fries when my old pair(lost them in December) was laying eggs for the past year.

Unread 03/21/2017, 09:58 AM   #60
Soluent1
Registered Member

I love looking at your anemones. Your video shows an exquisite tank, something I aspire to. The only thing that gives me pause is the fish. Have you had any losses to the anemones? I really would like to have a tank very much like yours, but I am afraid to add fish. You seem to have no problems. Any recommendations or hints for keeping them together?

Soluent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 12:22 PM   #61
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Wow.... Stunning

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 02:20 PM   #62
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluent1 View Post
I love looking at your anemones. Your video shows an exquisite tank, something I aspire to. The only thing that gives me pause is the fish. Have you had any losses to the anemones? I really would like to have a tank very much like yours, but I am afraid to add fish. You seem to have no problems. Any recommendations or hints for keeping them together?
Hi,
Thanks. The only reason I've lost fish is due to my mistakes and impatience. The two giganteas have never captured any fish that is healthy and swimming. Sure, if the fish is sick and can't swim against the Tunze flow and into the anemone, it would be a goner.
Don't be afraid to add fish with Giganteas. I've never even seen it caught a snail. The red Haddoni that I used to keep had a snail graveyard underneath it.

Unread 03/21/2017, 04:51 PM   #63
Soluent1
Registered Member

Thanks for responding. And don't make any of those $4.95 a minute phone calls. nowadays they are free!

Soluent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 06:50 PM   #64
OrionN
Moved on

If you are able to breed some clown from those C Quest, I like to buy a few from you. LMK

Unread 03/22/2017, 08:19 AM   #65
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
If you are able to breed some clown from those C Quest, I like to buy a few from you. LMK
I will definitely try it and will document it. I've had my Onyx clowns(actually the only type I've seriously kept) laid eggs within a year. I didn't think I have space to raise them. This time though, the tank is in the basement and I have plenty of room to make a mess. I'm really looking forward to this.
On the side note, I've given up on getting a pair of wild Onyx or even dark Percula. Those would be ideal IMO. These captive bred have probably gone many generation of inbred. I'm expecting my cull rate will be high as I don't like to see any imperfection like misbar, connecting bars, deformed fins, deformed head, etc.

Unread 10/07/2017, 06:13 PM   #66
this is me
Registered Member

An update on these two anemones.

Purple

Unread 10/07/2017, 06:14 PM   #67
this is me
Registered Member

Green

Unread 10/08/2017, 07:48 AM   #68
OrionN
Moved on

Nice.
What ever happened to that bud under the purple one?

Unread 10/08/2017, 05:29 PM   #69
this is me
Registered Member

I don't know what happen to the bud. I haven't seen it for awhile.

Unread 10/09/2017, 10:12 AM   #70
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

FWIW reproduction via pedal laceration is different than reproduction via budding. And it's only a bud if it separates Otherwise it is just a mantle anomaly. Anomalies happen pretty frequently and I have seen them in the wild. I don't recall seeing a gigantea reproduce via budding however... though there are rumors that it can occur. Then again, there are rumors just about ANYTHING can occur in a reef tank

Unread 03/27/2018, 08:21 PM   #71
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

Are the anemones still in your care?

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 08:48 PM   #72
this is me
Registered Member

Alive and kicking.

The green has really grown back its size. The purple looks to be stagnant but I think the pink table acro is limiting its size. All good to me. I don't want them to get any bigger really.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9307.jpg (104.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9312.jpg (85.8 KB, 74 views)

Unread 04/14/2018, 06:57 AM   #73
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

Very nice, I recently acquired a new purple gig like yours and my original one in my avatar, it's doing well after 1 month. It had a hole in the foot at the bottom when I got it but is fine now.

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote