Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2018, 06:21 PM   #1
Ghost25
Registered Member

How concerned should I be about this white patch on a new fish?

Just picked up a couple gobies including this hector goby. While doing freshwater dip I saw this white patch that I hadn't noticed in the store. Is it just an abrasion or a sign of something worse?

Ghost25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 06:26 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Yikes! Did you buy it that way or right out of the box?

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 07:09 PM   #3
Lsufan
Registered Member

Why were u doing a freshwater dip? That isn’t something I would be doing unless I was out of options

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Ghost25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
Why were u doing a freshwater dip? That isn’t something I would be doing unless I was out of options
I was following the information in this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1706835

But I regret doing it, it seems to have killed one of the other fish. I'm getting frustrated by my lack of success with quarantine. It seems that the fish I didn't quarantine are fine and the ones I do die.

Unread 05/24/2018, 08:05 PM   #5
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost25 View Post
I was following the information in this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1706835

But I regret doing it, it seems to have killed one of the other fish. I'm getting frustrated by my lack of success with quarantine. It seems that the fish I didn't quarantine are fine and the ones I do die.
I'd be changing qt procedures, the point is to get fish healthy and keep em alive not kill them.

Depending what fish your qt'ing start with an appropriate sized tank and observe them first. Then if something pops up treat accordingly.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 09:07 PM   #6
Ghost25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
I'd be changing qt procedures, the point is to get fish healthy and keep em alive not kill them.

Depending what fish your qt'ing start with an appropriate sized tank and observe them first. Then if something pops up treat accordingly.
Fair point. My understanding was that some common diseases wouldn't be very obvious and that it is better to treat prophylactically with compounds like PraziPro, copper etc. Such as this: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...sh-made-simple

The problem is that there seems to be conflicting information on best practices.

Unread 05/24/2018, 09:33 PM   #7
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost25 View Post
Fair point. My understanding was that some common diseases wouldn't be very obvious and that it is better to treat prophylactically with compounds like PraziPro, copper etc. Such as this: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...sh-made-simple

The problem is that there seems to be conflicting information on best practices.
There are few things that everyone can agree on. You will run into conflicting info everywhere you look. The best advice I can give you is to read every option and pick what's best for you. Understand how much stress the treatment involved puts on the fish. Look at how involved the treatment is and how much work is required to maintain it. Look at survival rates and how many have treated successfully that way. Make sure the treatment you are doing doesn't put you in over your head. So many things to consider. If you are new and so far unsuccessful at qt, while yes many do preventative treatment if you don't have to why do it. Just observe the fish and make sure it's eating. Then if you see something you can always ask if your not sure and many can recommend the proper treatment and walk you through it. I guess my oppinion is a fish may be healthy from go so why treat it with this that or the other when it isn't necessary. Like you mentioned there will be some who don't agree.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 06:00 AM   #8
oldhead
Registered Member

My QT experience, First things first and probably the most important. Match the salinity, or be just a tad lower(not higher). Ask the fish store what they have their tanks at and then test the bag water before you release the fish. I usually do the prazi treatment. Does it help? maybe if the fish has something but it doesn't hurt the healthy ones either. Watch them when you feed them. Just sit there for 5 minutes or so and just watch. Look over their bodies etc. If you keep your tank at a higher salinity then use saltwater in your ato for the QT. It usually takes about 4 weeks to go from 1.019 to 1.026 this way.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote