Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2018, 07:41 PM   #1
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Clownfish eating host

Has anyone ever had an experience where a clownfish ate part of its host? Mine a hosting in a goniopora and I am seeing three polybs, low on the front where the skeleton is showing. I have been checking daily due to the delicate nature of this coral and this damage was not there yesterday. While looking at it my female black snowflake went to the spot and bit it multiple times around the fleshy edge. She didn’t spit anything out but I couldn’t tell if she ripped any chunks off or not. I just haven’t heard of this type of behavior before.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 02:18 AM   #2
Kinetic
Registered Member

My ocellaris nibble and tug on the tentacles of their magnifica and BTA hosts all the time. I've seen once where they tore a little bit off of the mag. The magnifica didn't really flinch, though that tentacle deflated for a few minutes. I think it's normal for them to bite, but normally anemones wouldn't be too affected by it. A goni is a different story...

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote