Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2016, 07:52 PM   #3851
jason2459
Registered Member

Looking good so far. I'll get a sample under the scope tonight. By tomorrow night it should be a nice thick red mat.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 07:55 PM   #3852
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
High ammonia levels hurt dinos, but at numbers you wouldn't want to subject livestock to.
I think I read that 1ppm ammonia triggers dinos to form cysts.
One beaker of snotty dinos got better (no bubbles or strings) overnight after I put a couple of drops of miracle grow in.
Then I realized it was an ammonia party in the beaker and everything was dead.
Maybe dark+ammonia would kill them. It would certainly make them super unhappy.
Going through with this 14 day trial. 3 days of dosing metro. Would you suggest I stop carbon dosing all together? So far I've cut it in half.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 06/27/2016, 08:21 PM   #3853
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Same here, jason. Tomorrow will be Day 5 of Metro.

Unread 06/27/2016, 08:23 PM   #3854
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeDejavu View Post
Same here, jason. Tomorrow will be Day 5 of Metro.
That's great. Good luck.

Unread 06/27/2016, 08:40 PM   #3855
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Going through with this 14 day trial. 3 days of dosing metro. Would you suggest I stop carbon dosing all together? So far I've cut it in half.
Good question. I'm not going to cut carbon dosing entirely either, because I wasn't to see if the bacterial strings that show up in my sump due to my dosing are killed by metro or if those bacteria aren't targeted.
Tomorrow will be metro day 1 for me.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 07:28 AM   #3856
Leyth
Registered Member

So an update on my side of things. Yesterday, I dipped a rock that was heavily covered in dino's in 50/50 3% peroxide and tank water. It bubbled and fizzed. I put the rock back in and the snails went all night going to town on this rock. It's extremely weird how they all flocked to it after I put it back in the tank.

Leyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 03:14 PM   #3857
nvladik
Registered Member

Guys which Metro is everyone using, what dose, and do you have a good cheap source for large tank treatment?

nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 03:28 PM   #3858
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
Guys which Metro is everyone using, what dose, and do you have a good cheap source for large tank treatment?
100% Metronidazole, but I used MetroPlex (70% Metronidazole, 30% excipients) because I already had some on hand.

As for large tank treatment, there's a 100 gram jar on eBay for $37.90 shipped.

Unread 06/28/2016, 03:37 PM   #3859
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Edit: (Bad info, please disregard.)

Last edited by StrangeDejavu; 06/28/2016 at 03:48 PM.
StrangeDejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 03:40 PM   #3860
nvladik
Registered Member

Quote:
Also, just a reminder that the dosage is 125mg per 10 gallons if it's 100% Metronidazole. If it's only 70% in the case of MetroPlex, dose accordingly.

This is why I am a little confused. I read 100mg/10g of pure metro, thus I figured dose increased for MetroPlex.

Unread 06/28/2016, 03:46 PM   #3861
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
This is why I am a little confused. I read 100mg/10g of pure metro, thus I figured dose increased for MetroPlex.
Sorry, you're right, ignore me.

Either way, this stuff is completely safe if (reasonably) overdosed and Twilliard even confirmed it works when underdosed.

Unread 06/28/2016, 03:49 PM   #3862
nvladik
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry, you're right, ignore me.

Either way, this stuff is completely safe if (reasonably) overdosed and Twilliard even confirmed it works when underdosed.

Cool, thanks.

Unread 06/28/2016, 06:57 PM   #3863
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Interesting little write-up on copepods and dinos: http://www.scienceisart.com/dockbook.../a2012-09.html

Unread 06/28/2016, 09:44 PM   #3864
jason2459
Registered Member

Yep, I have some dino loving pods

Unread 06/28/2016, 10:27 PM   #3865
jason2459
Registered Member

I should also add it seems I have cyano loving dinos

Unread 06/28/2016, 10:43 PM   #3866
jason2459
Registered Member

I've turned off my automatic water change.

Ozone offline

I've cut carbon dosing in half.

I've pulled GAC out. (I don't use GFO or any other PO4 binder so nothing there to pull out.)

I opened up the skimmer lowering the water level a lot.

ATO is still on.

ATS is still on

Limewater dosing still on.

Light schedules unchanged. (I don't believe in blackouts anyway.)

Feeding schedule and amounts still the same.

I think that's it.

I grabbed a 1L container and filled it with 700ml of tank water.

I had calulated out exactly how many milligrams of the 70% active ingredients in MetroPlex I would need for around 200g total system volume. Using the little spoon I started putting some in that container. That little spoon was a pain. I went for a better measuring device and then decided to just dump the contents completely in.

So, 5g day one done.

Unread 06/29/2016, 09:28 AM   #3867
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I've turned off my automatic water change.

Ozone offline

I've cut carbon dosing in half.

I've pulled GAC out. (I don't use GFO or any other PO4 binder so nothing there to pull out.)

I had calulated out exactly how many milligrams of the 70% active ingredients in MetroPlex I would need for around 200g total system volume. Using the little spoon I started putting some in that container. That little spoon was a pain. I went for a better measuring device and then decided to just dump the contents completely in.

So, 5g day one done.
Heh. That dose is 250mg/10 gal, a spoonful is 125mg so it's exactly the 2 spoonfuls in the "1-2 spoonfuls per 10 gal per day for 3 days"
Just clarifying for others that your "dump the whole thing in" is within the recommended dosage.
Never seen anyone else with peridinium dinos, so interesting to see how it goes with you.
Yesterday was day 1 for me and my small population of ostis as well.

In addition to tank treatment I started a control vs treatment beaker.
Really hoping that twilliards accounts of visible changes to cell behavior and structure (growth rate too) show up in the side by side beakers.

Unread 06/29/2016, 09:50 AM   #3868
taricha
Registered Member

Also my exhaustive biodiversity survey was exhausting as well as exhaustive.
8 fish, 55 different species/strains of coral/nem/gorgs, 9 macroalgae, 5 microalgae/bacterial growth forms, 16 filter feeders (7 kinds of feather dusters), 8 crustaceans, 5 echinoderms, 11 snails, 4 random worm detrivores, 18 species only visible through microscope (I quit at 9 different kinds of ciliates).

Before pics of all the corals. To compare in case noticeable changes after, everything else - I'll just verify if it's present or not in the weeks after.

Only thing that I won't be able to monitor satisfactorily will be nitrate because mine is currently 50(!) before treatment.
So it would have to be a big swing to show up on mine.
It was 100+ two weeks ago, when I realized my old test was shot and first got my new one.

Unread 06/29/2016, 10:17 AM   #3869
Kurt03
Registered Member

I started metroplex last night in my 20g qt. one scoop in the 20g, guessing im a little under since its only 70% metro? Ill dose 1.25 scoop the remaining days.

I have actually beat back the dinos quite a bit and they arent that bad currently, but i can still find them. Ive held off on water changes and getting my nutrients down cause i feel they are what are competing with the dinos. I now have some green algae, some of that snot algae that may be a form of cyano that i posted a while ago that shows up under the scope as round spheres. I also now have (I think) red and green cyano). On another note I moved all of my coral out of this tank to the rescue tank (fingers crossed). There were some monster pods on the frag plugs etc that i found while moving things so thats a good sign! Shows me there is good life in the 20dino tank and i think i have tipped the balance in my favor finally. Hoping the metro is the final nail.

After the metro treatment I will do some large water changes to hopefully take care of the cyano and get nutrient levels in check. If i dont get rid of cyano and the snot i will dose chemiclean.

currently lights and skimmer are off, carbon on. Debating what to do throughout this treatment.

Kurt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 11:53 AM   #3870
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt03 View Post
I started metroplex last night in my 20g qt. one scoop in the 20g, guessing im a little under since its only 70% metro? Ill dose 1.25 scoop the remaining days.
The dose is 1-2 scoop per 10g, so your tank would be 2-4 scoops per daily dose, unless you are trying to test under-dosing.

Unread 06/29/2016, 12:09 PM   #3871
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Heh. That dose is 250mg/10 gal, a spoonful is 125mg so it's exactly the 2 spoonfuls in the "1-2 spoonfuls per 10 gal per day for 3 days"
Just clarifying for others that your "dump the whole thing in" is within the recommended dosage.
Never seen anyone else with peridinium dinos, so interesting to see how it goes with you.
Yesterday was day 1 for me and my small population of ostis as well.

In addition to tank treatment I started a control vs treatment beaker.
Really hoping that twilliards accounts of visible changes to cell behavior and structure (growth rate too) show up in the side by side beakers.
yep, for my system volume it works out just right for 1 5g container = 2 scoops / 10g of 70% metro. I was just going to go with the 125g/10g via twilliards dosage of 75% metro. Then just said forget it and dosed it all.

Unread 06/29/2016, 12:22 PM   #3872
jason2459
Registered Member

Fyi, I have 2 days worth of metroplex if going forward with the double dosage of 250mg/10g/day. I was going to get another vial of metroplex but found this and gives plenty to play with on the side now.

Another alternative and can be found on amazon.com

Unread 06/29/2016, 07:23 PM   #3873
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 2 double dose of 5g per 200gal total volume dosed.

Unread 06/29/2016, 08:20 PM   #3874
Kurt03
Registered Member

Quote:
The dose is 1-2 scoop per 10g, so your tank would be 2-4 scoops per daily dose, unless you are trying to test under-dosing.
Sorry, meant 1 scoop per 10, dosed 2 scoops.

Kurt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 08:33 PM   #3875
taricha
Registered Member

My day 2 dose.
No alarming (or detectable even) ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, or phosphate changes 24hrs after dose 1.
pH stayed same to within .01 before/after both daily doses.
ORP went up about 15mv after both daily doses compared to pre dose numbers.