Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2018, 09:55 AM   #1
clownfish4
Registered Member

Thinking about buying this used 250g, need some advice

I saw this 250g on CL for $500 and am seriously considering pulling the trigger. I have two primary concerns that I’m hoping you all can give some insight on.

1. The overflow was in the middle and was cut out. I don’t want to put a new overflow in the middle due to taking up space. I haven’t seen the tank in person yet (hopefully Tuesday) but am thinking of either covering the holes with acrylic, or building a floating overflow to attach to the top of a pipe on the existing hole. Both options would require drilling additional holes as I will go bean animal. What would you do?

2. The room it would go in is carpeted and can’t be removed. Have any of you put a tank this size, or bigger, on carpet? If so, were there any issues? If not, any particular reason to avoid it?

Dimensions are 89"L x 22"W x 30"H.

Thank you all and let me know if there are any specific questions you have that I should look or for when seeing the tank.

Untitled by Mike Burns, on Flickr

Untitled by Mike Burns, on Flickr

clownfish4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2018, 10:45 AM   #2
R1ant04
Registered Member

As long as the seams r good and no major scratches or it’s yellowed....I would buy it. Good price for that size. Can easily seal the bottom with another piece of acrylic and sum Weldon. Also would b no problem putting that tank on a carpeted floor. Jus ensure it’s level jus like u would on hardwood/cement.

R1ant04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2018, 11:50 AM   #3
clownfish4
Registered Member

Thank you R1ant04. I agree the price is right. As long as there’s no crazing or major defects I’m definitely going to buy it. Owner confirmed it is 1/2” thick acrylic. I’m thinking I will likely seal the existing holes then do a short overflow at the top of one end of the tank and put the inlets on the other to get a nice “circular” flow through the system.

Unread 05/05/2018, 03:50 PM   #4
nsfishguy
Registered Member

I am certainly no expert but isn't 1/2" thk a little thin for something that tall?

nsfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 10:37 AM   #5
clownfish4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsfishguy View Post
I am certainly no expert but isn't 1/2" thk a little thin for something that tall?
I’m seeing mixed results. Garf recommends 1/2” for these dimensions, but other sites are saying 1”. Not sure what to go with. Does anyone know of a good calculator that will give you the actual safety factor number?

Unread 05/06/2018, 11:24 AM   #6
nsfishguy
Registered Member

Just checked this website http://diyfishkeepers.com/AcrylicThi...Calculator.htm. Says 1".

Here is another http://www.plasticgenius.com/2009/05...thickness.html

Not sure which ones you checked.

Hope this helps!

Unread 05/06/2018, 11:24 AM   #7
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Thinking about buying this used 250g, need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfish4 View Post
I’m seeing mixed results. Garf recommends 1/2” for these dimensions, but other sites are saying 1”. Not sure what to go with. Does anyone know of a good calculator that will give you the actual safety factor number?

Well Garf would recommend something like that because 15-20 years ago things were made better. Though the advances in materials these days make them stronger now with less material.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 11:33 AM   #8
clownfish4
Registered Member

Thanks all. I looked at both the sites nsfishguy posted, as well as garf. When I get to my laptop I’m going to figure out what the actual safety factor is with this site https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/publishe...7ae4&mode=html

But based on what I’ve seen so far, I’m going to pass on this tank. It’s at least a few years old but the seller doesn’t know the original manufacturer or the true age of the tank.

Unread 05/06/2018, 12:18 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Honestly, I wouldn't take that tank if it were free. Half inch is way too thin for something that long and tall.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 12:51 PM   #10
nsfishguy
Registered Member

Would make a good sump. Only fill up about half way.

Unread 05/06/2018, 03:17 PM   #11
rvareef
In Memoriam

that tank is wafer thin!

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 03:25 PM   #12
clownfish4
Registered Member

Thanks again everyone, I did tell the owner I’m passing. Was really looking forward to having a big tank again, but I won’t take a stupid risk for it. Will continue to keep an eye out for a good deal though.

Unread 05/06/2018, 08:04 PM   #13
ace_92101
Registered Member

A smart move. The thickness, the cut overflow and the overall dimensions didn't make a lot of sense to me. A lot of tanks pop up the greater Washington DC Craigslist. Good luck.

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 08:15 AM   #14
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Given the design of the tank, 1/2" acrylic is plenty strong. The tank derives its strength from the bracing on top, as long as the joints are good and no crazing is visible, I would be confident that it would be fine. The concern that I would have is how they sealed the middle overflow (if it is sealed), and the price.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 05:45 PM   #15
lapin
Registered Member

Its prob gonna bow some. You should see how it looks full of water before purchase.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2018, 02:31 PM   #16
ColorFish777
Registered Member

With the thick top bracing I think 1/2" should be ample. Like someone said above, fill it with water and see if there is any bowing.

ColorFish777 is offline   Reply With Quote