Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2019, 11:34 PM   #601
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm getting quite the algae selection - and not the good kind. It's OK. I think it is part of the progression of the ecosystem, which is trying to get balance. I remove bits and pieces in a patchy way. My crew hasn't quite caught up, but I think it will.

I try to keep the grasses cleanish so they get plenty of light. It gives me the opportunity to evaluate their vigor. They seem to be in good health. They still have epiphytic algae, which is tricky to remove completely. So, with some, I prune the whole blade. Unfortunately, cleaning them disturbs the roots, so it's a balancing act.

My overall algae strategy is to keep exporting it to remove excess nutrients, favoring the red macros, which don't need a lot, and the grasses, which can get their nutrients from the substrate. I still have a few more herbivores and detrivores to add as well. At some point, my 'cast of thousands' will reach an equilibrium with algae production. I'll continue to add the macros I want, and when I feel like there is enough biomass, I will resume CO2 injection.

Next additions will be filter feeders. These will come in with live rock. Probably three weeks away. For now I'll keeping watching and thinking, and let Nature take its course.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 06:35 AM   #602
vlangel
Registered Member

Michael, are you running the return pump now or still just moving water via wave maker?

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 09:51 AM   #603
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have not yet turned on my main circulation pump. I do have a canister filter and the wave pump going, so water circulation is pretty good, but not great. I want to give the seagrasses time to get firmly rooted before turning it on. Once I do turn it on, things will change pretty radically. With much more current, the sand bar will be sculpted into who knows what shape. I also have the unknown of how the waves will be effected. My guess is that they will stay roughly the same, or possible get bigger. We'll have to wait and see.

Did you bring it up to point out that algae will be reduced by increased current? I found that to be true. However, my experience in v1 was that some algae was decreased, and some increased. Apparently, some algae like strong current. I think the biggest difference in this version is that I have a more complete crew in place to keep it cropped down.

Unread 01/18/2019, 11:08 AM   #604
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I loved the pics, sorry for not responding sooner. The algae issues are just a life cycle phase of the tank, and I think that you're adapting and moving in the right direction with executing your plan.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 12:22 PM   #605
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin! I agree.

Another benefit of getting older and more experienced, is that I'm much less alarmed by algae, in this very early stage of tank development. So I'm 'managing' it, while my crew gets caught up with production. My only concern at this point is to make sure nothing is shading the grasses, and to gradually export easily removed algae.

It's ironic how much it takes to get an aquarium ready to fill, then once it is, you have to restrain yourself from doing too much!

Unread 01/18/2019, 07:27 PM   #606
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I have not yet turned on my main circulation pump. I do have a canister filter and the wave pump going, so water circulation is pretty good, but not great. I want to give the seagrasses time to get firmly rooted before turning it on. Once I do turn it on, things will change pretty radically. With much more current, the sand bar will be sculpted into who knows what shape. I also have the unknown of how the waves will be effected. My guess is that they will stay roughly the same, or possible get bigger. We'll have to wait and see.

Did you bring it up to point out that algae will be reduced by increased current? I found that to be true. However, my experience in v1 was that some algae was decreased, and some increased. Apparently, some algae like strong current. I think the biggest difference in this version is that I have a more complete crew in place to keep it cropped down.
Yes, I was curious if some of the algae was taking advantage of perhaps lower flow but I am not second guessing your decision to hold off turning on the return pump. I am happy to hear that when you decide that the grasses are established enough, you may not have to face as much of an algae problem.

Unread 01/18/2019, 10:47 PM   #607
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'll probably turn on the main pump when I add live rock, in a few weeks.

In the meantime, I'm seeing a nice diversity of algae. It's fascinating to watch their succession, with different ones popping up over time. It's not bad, really. Having been through this before, I'm even going to try to enjoy this phase. Plus it's not that much. Manageable!

Grasses are good. I pruned a few today, to export epiphytic algae. Take out the blade, and all attached algae go with it. This has the gradual effect of tidying up the grass. I'm seeing more signs of growth daily.

The Ulva is still growing at a good clip. It really gave me instant greenness on the fake wall. I love the color. And it moves well with the waves. I look forward to getting a few more greens, when the ones I want are available.

One of the new red macro frags looks like it's not going to make it. Maybe it will pop up later. I've had macros die, only to come back later, growing in a different place.

Unread 01/19/2019, 11:52 PM   #608
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I added some iron today. With one of the new reds not making it, I thought maybe a nutrient is in short supply. With all the new plants and algae, it seems possible. Trace elements can get depleted in aquariums with plants. The most important one to plants is iron. I'll observe over the next week, to see if it helped. In past experience, adding iron has had noticeable effects.

Keeping seagrass is a unique experience. It's much more than one plant. It's sixty. I'm starting to get to know them individually, through my tidying. Getting this many is a dream come true! And it's exactly what I envisioned for this tank. I'm so excited for the future! I've never had a tank so well planned out. Usually I'm just trying this and that, to see what works. Now I have a clear vision of what I want, and it feels good.

I'm quite surprised with the wave box. The back and forth current is so natural, and perfect for this tank. What is most surprising is I think I'm getting addicted to it! The rhythmic sound connects me to my childhood, beach boy roots. This simple device has added a whole other dimension, that I never would have thought of.

I also wanted to mention my lighting. One 400 watt, 6500K metal halide bulb, with a great reflector, lights my whole tank, with what appears to be real sunlight. Looking into my aquarium is like looking outdoors on a sunny day. Halides are far from fashionable these days, but to my eye, nothing else compares, especially when depicting a shallow water environment.

Unread 01/20/2019, 10:40 AM   #609
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I added some iron today. With one of the new reds not making it, I thought maybe a nutrient is in short supply. With all the new plants and algae, it seems possible. Trace elements can get depleted in aquariums with plants. The most important one to plants is iron. I'll observe over the next week, to see if it helped. In past experience, adding iron has had noticeable effects.

Keeping seagrass is a unique experience. It's much more than one plant. It's sixty. I'm starting to get to know them individually, through my tidying. Getting this many is a dream come true! And it's exactly what I envisioned for this tank. I'm so excited for the future! I've never had a tank so well planned out. Usually I'm just trying this and that, to see what works. Now I have a clear vision of what I want, and it feels good.

I'm quite surprised with the wave box. The back and forth current is so natural, and perfect for this tank. What is most surprising is I think I'm getting addicted to it! The rhythmic sound connects me to my childhood, beach boy roots. This simple device has added a whole other dimension, that I never would have thought of.

I also wanted to mention my lighting. One 400 watt, 6500K metal halide bulb, with a great reflector, lights my whole tank, with what appears to be real sunlight. Looking into my aquarium is like looking outdoors on a sunny day. Halides are far from fashionable these days, but to my eye, nothing else compares, especially when depicting a shallow water environment.
That is so cool that your planning is going as planned! That doesn't always happen although I suspect that when we or younger aquarists try to follow plans, impatience causes us not to wait on certain natural functions to get in place first before we proceed. You have the experience and patience to wait until the tank is ready for each step and I am sure that is why you are being rewarded in getting the effects that you envisioned.

I am finding that folks who have used metal halide lighting in the past are never quite satisfied with anything else. My oldest son is in that category. I am pretty sure I would be a halide advocate as I remember the beautiful color and natural shimmer when I serviced tanks for folks. When I moved into reef tanks I went the less expensive route of a HOT5 Coralife fixture. It has been reliable and has grown anything I wanted, including a crocea clam, but definitely lacks the beauty of Halide lighting. Maybe someday I will switch.

Unread 01/21/2019, 10:31 PM   #610
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn! So true. It's hard to stick to a plan, but easier now that I'm older. When I was younger, I hardly had a plan! More like a wish list of fish and gizmos.

Finally having a clear vision of what I want is nice too. I'm drawing on my fresh water planted tank experience, as well as what I've learned about marine ecosystem building. I enjoy combining the two!

There are so many great lights these days. Types for every taste. I like the simplicity and power I get with halides.

Unread 01/22/2019, 09:41 AM   #611
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I'm pleased to see your new changes working out for you and allowing you to sit back, watch and enjoy. That's what this hobby is about.

Quote:
In the meantime, I'm seeing a nice diversity of algae. It's fascinating to watch their succession, with different ones popping up over time. It's not bad, really. Having been through this before, I'm even going to try to enjoy this phase. Plus it's not that much. Manageable!
The way that I see it, algae is part of the ecosystem. Plus, it provides food for many critters, from the bottom to higher in food chain. I accept that it will always be in my tanks. I just don't want it to dominate or take over. In the wild, when that happens, it usually means a nutrient problem, such as pollution. It's not that different in our tanks, really. When algae takes over in the wild, it can choke out SAVs and other desirable life. Same in our tanks.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2019, 04:44 PM   #612
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin! I do like to chill and watch, even in this early, not so pretty phase.

I agree, our aquariums can mimic polluted wild areas. My tank is like an inland lagoon experiencing pollution from heavy rain runoff. Multiple algae are taking advantage of nutrient-rich conditions. I think my exposed yard dirt in the substrate could be contributing as well.

As bacteria and plant biomass increase, the algae should recede. I've noticed just in the last two days, the ulva is looking less vigorous, even after dosing iron. This indicates that nutrient levels may be dropping. Combine that with a clean up crew that is multiplying to meet production, things should continue to improve. I'm hoping!

Unread 01/23/2019, 03:10 PM   #613
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

So, my ulva is disintegrating, and I'm getting more cyanobacteria. I just read that cyano can outcompete algae in lower nitrogen environments. My tank is almost two months old now, so cycling is likely done. These three factors point to the possibility that nitrogen levels have dropped. Four days ago I added iron, with no change, so I have ruled it out.

I wanted to test my theory of dropping N levels, so today I added a teaspoon of ammonia. If my theory is correct, I expect the ulva and the rest of the macros, as well as the seagrass and undesirable algae to show increased vigor, while cyano should wane.

I don't recommend dosing ammonia to any tank, unless it is large and/or has a large population of greedy plants, or you are doing a fish-less cycle. To increase N levels, the safest bet (that I know of) is to add potassium nitrate.

Since I'm already in the algae phase, I'm less concerned about an uptick. The real value in this experiment is to test my deductions. This helps me gauge how accurate my deductions are.

Unread 01/23/2019, 06:18 PM   #614
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
So, my ulva is disintegrating, and I'm getting more cyanobacteria. I just read that cyano can outcompete algae in lower nitrogen environments. My tank is almost two months old now, so cycling is likely done. These three factors point to the possibility that nitrogen levels have dropped. Four days ago I added iron, with no change, so I have ruled it out.

I wanted to test my theory of dropping N levels, so today I added a teaspoon of ammonia. If my theory is correct, I expect the ulva and the rest of the macros, as well as the seagrass and undesirable algae to show increased vigor, while cyano should wane.

I don't recommend dosing ammonia to any tank, unless it is large and/or has a large population of greedy plants, or you are doing a fish-less cycle. To increase N levels, the safest bet (that I know of) is to add potassium nitrate.

Since I'm already in the algae phase, I'm less concerned about an uptick. The real value in this experiment is to test my deductions. This helps me gauge how accurate my deductions are.
That is interesting and I will be curious what happens. Keep us posted.

Unread 01/24/2019, 12:52 AM   #615
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm curious too, Dawn. I still expect an uptick in everything but cyano, but I don't really know for sure. Of the plants and algae I have, which will see a benefit? Maybe it was a terrible mistake!

Whatever does happen will teach me something, and that should be helpful.

Unread 01/24/2019, 11:48 AM   #616
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Have a question for you Michael. Do you have multiple tanks, or just this one? The reason I ask is that I have three and of course need to do water changes on them, but was wondering if it might make more sense to use the old water from the water changes to replace water from the macro tank. Of course I'll be getting some fish which will add to the nitrates in the tank, but with the rather small bio footprint that I expect from the teeny fish I am planning, I'm really thinking there won't be enough nitrates to keep the algaes happy when I get a nice jungle going in there. The exception would be if I go with the puffer, and then I should have plenty of nitrates with their eating habits.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 02:14 PM   #617
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sure, you could do that! It would be similar to having them plumbed together. Potassium Nitrate, which is stump remover at the hardware store, is a great way to dose nitrate as well. When you get a good jungle going, you'll be amazed how much your plants can suck down!

Unread 01/25/2019, 11:02 PM   #618
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I did get an uptick in algae. Hard to tell if anything else grew, on the count of the uptick in algae…

The grasses and reds will take longer to react. In the meantime, the algae diversity is impressive! I found some stuff I may want to keep. Here's a few quick pics.

Grasses with algae. I cleaned up a bit after taking this shot.

Does this look like calerpa prolifera?

Looks like a cross between ulva and chaeto. Enteromorpha?

Unread 01/26/2019, 07:42 AM   #619
vlangel
Registered Member

Just like you thought, that has to be rewarding. That 2nd pic did look like caulerpa prolifera. The last pic could also be a stem of caulerpa? or not!

Unread 01/26/2019, 08:40 AM   #620
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It is nice to confirm expected results, but proving that I can stimulate algae growth over cyano probably wasn't my best work! Anywho, I hope to learn a few things from it…

First, I'd say my deduction was correct, that the tank has cycled and Nitrogen levels had dropped. This gives me confidence then, that I have some idea what is happening, in my little ecosystem in a box.

Second, it may have encouraged diversity in algae, which, I think is good. With dropping nitrogen levels, diversity would likely decline. In v1, I added an urchin to eat algae, which it did, but it didn't eat everything. It through off diversity. I removed the urchin to improve the algae diversity, which benefitted the overall system.

Well, now I'm off to observe. More later!

Unread 01/26/2019, 11:40 AM   #621
sam.basye
Registered Member

Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster;25551177[IMG

How long did it take to prune your fingers like that? lol

Adding stuff to try and correct things is too complicated and trying to prove it worked blows my mind. Lol. I just leave it and hope it figures it out it’s own. Haha

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2019, 02:01 PM   #622
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I probably had my hands in the water for an hour. I enjoy the hands-on part!

Hopefully, my experimenting does no harm. I saw my ecosystem-in-the-making starting to stall. I got curious…

Last night I got a lot of algae removed from the grasses. Today I got after the stuff on the sand bed surface. A fair amount of sand gets removed in the process, so I added new sand. Now the tank is cloudy. Once it clears, it should look nice and clean.

With the cloudiness, I was able to better see algae on the front and right side glass, so I got them cleaned up too.

I'll get some pics when I can.

Unread 01/27/2019, 08:44 AM   #623
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I snapped a couple pics this morning. After a lot of algae export, it looks pretty tidy again.

Unread 01/27/2019, 11:09 PM   #624
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Here's a few more pics from today.

All cleaned up.

Getting greener, but a long way to go.

Three barnacle blennies in the foreground.

Seagrass and ulva.

Unread 01/28/2019, 05:31 AM   #625
vlangel
Registered Member

Great pics Michael. It looks like the grasses are growing a little taller? I love how the white mollies contrast with the green grasses and the wall. And those barnacle blennies are just too cute.

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass