Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2015, 01:06 AM   #1
Wally.B
Registered Member

Gyre Controller (MOD) for Remote Automated Pump Control (Via ARDUINO/Relay Interface)

FIRST, I am posting this thread to simply share my successful Modification of my Gyre Controller to meet my Personal requirements.

I am in no way suggesting that anyone attempt to do the same.

If you attempt to do what I have done or something similar you could possibly DAMAGE or DESTROY your controller. (Circuit board and parts are delicate, and sensitive to heat).

You will probably VOID your warranty as soon as you open the controller.

AGAIN. If you decide to MOD your controller, you are on your own.

I may or may not respond to any posts, since I'm not supporting this MOD in any way and I get busy at times. I did it for myself, and sharing my setup for your creative thinking and designs.

So the reason to MOD to my Gyre Controller is I was frustrated that there were so many great modes for the Gyre Pump, but no way other then manually changing them..
I'm still scratching my head why they DID NOT ADD a simple feature like a timer to switch between modes to take Full advantage of Gyre Pump Capabilities.

The best I could do was pick one mode and then turn off my Gyre at night time with my Apex or a Timer. So I had to have other pumps running at night time for my SPS only tank. I would switch modes every so often, but that was not consistent and annoying.

I heard rumours that there would be a controller eventually coming on the market, and also rumours that there would be an Apex Controllable controller.

I also found information that folks were building their own controllers to control the Gyre Pump. However that didn't appeal much to me for many reasons.

Then I got an Idea. I wasn't sure if it would work, unless I opened up the controller. I was concerned that I would void my warranty, and depending how the controller was sealed inside, that I would break my precious Gyre. Also I wasn't sure my idea would work depending on how the gyre controller was built, and functioned.

Then I opened the controlled.

To my surprise, it was exactly what I had hoped for.

The controller simply works by the push buttons, which are mechanical contact switches. At this point I'm speaking to the Mode switch and the Program switch. I haven't looked into the Dial Pad Yet.

The great part is the switch is exposed at the contact points, so I knew my idea would work, but I'd have to be careful to not damage the delicate circuitry and switches.

I then MODed the controller to access the switch, and proved that I could remotely control the controller just like the on board switch. At first with a simple switch in parallel. Once I knew that would work, I continued onto the automation components Via ARDUINO and a Interface to drive a Relay Contact Switch..

SO IN A FEW WORDS WHAT IS THE MOD and how does it work?

- I soldered wire leads to the MODE switch contacts in parallel.
- Then I tested the leads by shorting them to act like the switch (it worked).
- Then I build an Arduno interfaced circuit with a Relay to act as a switch.
- I wrote a simple program to trigger the Relay to act like a mechanical switch to the controller, to cycle between the modes.
- Each Gyre mode could be setup custom and then simply pick my timing to switch between each mode. (gyre Controller stores the program settings for each mode and keeps them in memory, even after a power off)
- I learned that the switch push release time has to be less than 3-4 seconds, or else the Controller shuts off.

Having said that. My MOD is in it's first stage. There are more improvements I plan to make. For example, if timing gets out of wack, or Controller, or Arduino powers off, the modes programming could be out of sync. (ie I could be switching to Pulse, but be in Continuous mode). Or worse yet, I could turn on full blast Alternating mode all night long. I have idea's on how to get around this and it won't be too difficult.

- At this point the current MOD Design suits my needs.
----------> My Gyre Alternating mode can run during the day.
----------> I can also flip to Continuous mode with a different Power setting
----------> For night time, I'll be running Pulse mode in a gentle setting.
----------> I have plans to integrate this into my Apex for Feed mode (Gyre Off, by power off)

----------> This was cheap and I had all the parts handy. Was built and tested (on a Prototype board, all in a day). Never touched an ARDINO before today. Learned all from Google searches. Included the Interface design.

I may explore how the Controller Dial works. It is mechanical switch, or a trim pot. If mechanical, it will be a another simple Mod, and then I could totally take over the controller remotely/automatically.

- NOW I'm really happy with my Gyre, since I can use it to it's full potential.
- Fish will be happy that I don't run Mega Circulation during sleep time.
- Corals will be Happy that I provide Circulation 24/7.

SO HERE IS A PICTURE VIEW OF THE MOD/TESTING.

THE CONTROLLER MOD (Lead Wire to Switch)

Testing of the Controller with MOD Leads

Testing the AUDUINO Interface Module & Programming

SO THE PROTOTYPE WORKED.

Next step is to:

- Package it up into a permanent Module/Case.
- Work the Gyre Modes Setups, and the overall daily program.
- Install Permanently into my Tank.

Future plans:
- Work on more Advanced programming for BulletProof running.
- Possible tackle the Setup and Dial Button (for complete control)
- Improved design with a PhotoCell or other way to get feedback from COntroller Panel Setting.
- Maybe even convert this to my Raspberry PI for Web Based Interface.
- Maybe Integrate this with Apex.

For now, I can finally Run my Gyre all day long, which was my goal.

Last edited by Wally.B; 08/30/2017 at 12:36 PM.
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 06:28 AM   #2
Eud
Registered Member

Fun. Diying a button pusher instead of doing a full controller. Good idea.

Eud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Wally.B
Registered Member

FIRST Programmed RUN in Tank with GYRE CONTROLLER (MOD/ARDUINO):

For now I hooked up the Prototype to the Tank.

I learned while programming that the Feed Mode is 10 minutes and then it exits, so in programming I cannot stay in that mode for any longer.

I'm running this program sequence 24/7 as a Variety Circulation Mix. (Much Better than staying in one mode).

Even overnight with the setup, it's not bad for the fish since 3 modes totalling 35 minutes is gentler time. (Plenty of room for adjustments)

Key things for this program setup, is I place the Gyre Controller into Feed Mode and then start the program. This sets the synchronization sequence.

- Also with this Mode Sequence Runner, I can drop by anytime and change any mode setting.

Last edited by Wally.B; 08/30/2017 at 12:37 PM.
Unread 07/06/2015, 11:31 AM   #4
edwardw771
Registered Member

Or, you can just wait a few weeks and get the new IceCap controller from CoralVue. It will allow us to connect our gyres to 3rd party controllers via a 0-10v jack!

Check out this post about it http://goo.gl/oNNlLN

Last edited by edwardw771; 07/06/2015 at 12:12 PM.
edwardw771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 09:21 AM   #5
805reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardw771 View Post
Or, you can just wait a few weeks and get the new IceCap controller from CoralVue. It will allow us to connect our gyres to 3rd party controllers via a 0-10v jack!

Check out this post about it http://goo.gl/oNNlLN
At the cost of $100 and it only controls 1 gyre...

300 gallon peninsula, return:RD3 Speedy 230, Turbo's Rev4 L2 Algae Turf Scrubber, (2) Gyre 150s, Advanced Acrylic sump, (4) Ocean Revive T247s, Apex (classic w/ black sticker;):D)
805reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 12:17 AM   #6
Wally.B
Registered Member

I've been running the Gyre on 30 minute Cycling modes with some more variant adjustments to each Mode settings.

(Even adjusted the program for a DayTime vs NightTime mode)

LOVE IT!!

My sand bed has taken a new shape with all the random stir ups.

So there is lots to look forward to, when the new controller comes out.

However I can't wait, so I have started tackling the "rotary dial" reverse engineering. A bit tricky, but I'll figure it out.

Last edited by Wally.B; 07/12/2015 at 12:36 AM.
Unread 07/12/2015, 05:35 AM   #7
norskfisk
Registered Member

Thanks a lot! I need special programs for gyre/propeller pumps soon. This was a cool alternative way of doing things! Nice to have this option if all you need is a simple mod, rather than going all the way with 0-10V interfaces for controlling pump speed.

Unread 07/12/2015, 07:57 PM   #8
Wally.B
Registered Member

For the Relay (Push Button) module. I just picked up one of these SUNFOUNDER 4 Channel Relay Module for Arduino Board.

http://www.amazon.ca/SainSmart-4-CH-...keywords=relay

Nice, well built module. For the price, I couldn't even build my own with parts. (Has nice Led's that tell you relay state ON/OFF).

There is a 8 Relay version for a few Dollars more.

I tested it and it works perfect (right off the Arduino 5 Volt Ouput. No extra power supply needed).

Unread 07/17/2015, 10:53 PM   #9
Wally.B
Registered Member

That Rotary Dial is really tricky to figure out. (I have some insight, but haven't gotten a replication working). Issue may be I can't run a overlay switch/Resistor, in Parallel like for the push button switches.

It's a Rotary Encoder, and probably only way to figure it out is to clip the leads and then test it. And then leave it disconnected, with a replication circuit.

If anyone has any insight or ideas let me know.

However for now I'm leaving that journey for another time, since cycling modes is really working out for me.

Instead I've found a good ARDUINO PROGRAM setup with the Rotating Modes, via Simple Mode Push MOD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) (15 Mins): Continuous Mode Reverse 70% uses my reverse paddle for a nice sweep of right side of tank, Some agitation on Left side. My reverse mode is not too strong with the bounce off front glass.

2) (20 mins) Pulse Mode FORWARD 90% approx. 3 seconds apart (give me a nice 20 minute wave action). I can go this high in my 65Gal (back to front setup) since Pulses are not continuous thrust at 90%, but there is a good wave effect. I can't go 90% continuous since it stirs up my sand bed too much.

3) ( 30 mins) Gyre Alternating Mode
- Forward 60%
- Reverse 60%
- 2 minute Cycle (gives nice back and forth even sweep)

4) Extra Long Feed Mode (Calm Pause, while Other Pumps and Sea Swirl Continue)
- Let's the SPS corals extend their Polyps during night time feeds.
(5 mins) Feed Mode
(5 mins) Feed Mode
(5 mins) Feed Mode
- By going IN and OUT of feed Mode 3 times. I now give tank a 15 minute rest. (Not A complete circulation rest, since other Pumps run via Apex, continuously, and SeaSwirl Return, sweeps as well.).
- This trick gives me FEED mode longer than 10 Minute default. (Sure I could turn off Gyre, but then Syncing is an issue)

5) Back to Step 1 (Continuous mode)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did consider putting Feed mode approx. 5 minutes between Mode (1-2),(2-3),(3-1) instead.
BUT Not sure if I want suspendants settling too much between each aggressive mode.

This is the Pump/Ciculation Setup in the 65 Gal SPS only Frag Tank.

NEW SETUP (Cycling Gyre Modes)

OLD SETUP (Single Gyre Mode)

Previously, with only one Gyre mode to choose from: (old setup).
-I had Gyre working tank right to left.
- Sea Swirl sweeping tank in middle.
- With single mode, I was limited to push across length of tank (stronger settings)
- With multiple mode (more circulation mixes allows more ideal Gyre Center placement, even in this Small Tank)
- Also with Sea Swirl in Right corner. If pushes surface water torwards Sump Overflow (left Corner), for better surface skimming, and detritus push into Sump.

Unread 12/13/2015, 09:47 PM   #10
paulsvang
Registered Member

Where did you find the 3 pin connector for the jebao pumps? I'm trying to get some for my pumps. And were you able to find one for the maxspect? I'd like to get the connector for that as well.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
paulsvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2015, 11:25 PM   #11
Wally.B
Registered Member

I don't control the Pump directly. So no connector needed.

I control the controller (tapping into the controller switches, and overriding them), thus I control the pump via the controller. (No connection to Pump. Pump is connected to Controller)

Sorry I can't help you, since I have no idea where to get a connector for pump control side.

Last edited by Wally.B; 12/13/2015 at 11:39 PM.
Unread 12/14/2015, 11:07 AM   #12
fefegarcia1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsvang View Post
Where did you find the 3 pin connector for the jebao pumps? I'm trying to get some for my pumps. And were you able to find one for the maxspect? I'd like to get the connector for that as well.
Hi!

Joe gave me this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcsX-3x0-75...item2ecab2180e

Best regards.

Fernando Garcia

fefegarcia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2016, 11:41 AM   #13
Wally.B
Registered Member

Relay Module Replacement

I thought I'd update this thread.

I replaced the custom transistor relay module with a simple all in one RELAY MODULE. (I only use 1 relay at this point). Never figured out the Power control dial.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00E...ilpage_o08_s00

Works great, and only 3 wires now (GND, and contact wires to switch)

Upcoming project is to replace the Aurdiuno controller with a Pi module so that I can get a REAL-TIME CLOCK, to schedule things better.

Unread 03/08/2016, 01:40 AM   #14
Wally.B
Registered Member

Custom GYRE Controller Enhancement (Night Mode + Feed Button)

So I've really enjoyed having the Controller but limitation was it cycled the same All day long. (Want to use one mode for 100% power, but too strong for fish sleeptime).

Plus without a accurate clock for the Audino, I couldn't setup time schedules. And if Power got lost, the time would be useless.

So I got a cheap RTC module that will give me pretty good time, and with the onboard Battery, time would survive power failures.

New Features:

- Accurate Time (via RTC module with Battery Backup) ($1)
- BACKLIT LED Display for Time and Mode Status ($10) (Could use a Lit clock in Sump Room anyway)
- Feed Button to trigger a on demand feed time ($0.50)

Future plans (might be to tackle that Gyre Contoller Setting Dial) which would give Me Total Variable Control.

I could get a IceCap Controller, but I don't have 2 spare VDM's on my Apex, and even with that (IceCap doesn't have Rapid Pulse mode like on native controller [my guess]).

Plus I enjoy building things, and this may be expanded for a few extra dosing pumps (Since I can trust the Ardiuno time).

Here is the working Prototype V1.0:

Unread 03/11/2016, 02:04 PM   #15
Wally.B
Registered Member

DIY (V2.0)- Aurdino (Gyre Pump) Controller (Finished)

Finally got this project finished. Bit more (nice to have) programming to do but it's ready to use.

- Will be expanded to add more thing like Dosing Pump, Feed Button, etc, etc

- Might even interface into Apex, or put on Network for remote control.

Unread 03/11/2016, 04:41 PM   #16
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Nice work! You mentioned adding remote control? There's an easy way.... take a look at the WEMOS D1 R2 controller. It shares the Arduino UNO/duemilanove footprint, but runs an ESP8266 WiFi chip instead of the Arduino's Atmega328. It's programmable and supported in the ARDUINO IDE. The best part.... there's a free App called "BLYNK" http://www.blynk.cc/ that makes it possible to build your own GUI in android or iOS, allowing full remote control from your smart phone.

Unread 03/11/2016, 06:39 PM   #17
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Surplus View Post
Nice work! You mentioned adding remote control? There's an easy way.... take a look at the WEMOS D1 R2 controller. It shares the Arduino UNO/duemilanove footprint, but runs an ESP8266 WiFi chip instead of the Arduino's Atmega328. It's programmable and supported in the ARDUINO IDE. The best part.... there's a free App called "BLYNK" http://www.blynk.cc/ that makes it possible to build your own GUI in android or iOS, allowing full remote control from your smart phone.
Thanks. I do need a replacement development board, since I always have a spare to program and then swap. Might order one (Cheap).

Having Wifi would be nice, Remote access nicer... and I was thinking IP Network originally to get NTP time, but I kind of like the battery time module since my internet doesn't have to be up. I ordered a more accurate time module (ChronoDot) from China but that will take weeks to arrive.

It took me over a week to figure out the Time Module (DS1302) and LCD (SanSmart), since I'm a bit rusty, and documentation on Everything isn't so organized...., so I'm just glad it All works.

Eventually I will be taking time to re-write the code for some flexibility. Right now I just hard coded the schedule (which does the job). I program my spare board with schedule tuning changes, and just swap with active controller (That is why I have the Open/Large Acrylic Box)..

Dosing pump project is next (will use same controller), and for that project, Battery backed up time module is a must.

Unread 03/15/2016, 07:08 PM   #18
Wally.B
Registered Member

A YouTube DEMO of the DIY ARDUINO Gyre Pump Controller MOD. (Working Version)

This a Demo of the working DIY Aurdino Controller for the Maxspect Controller, to control the Maxspect Gyre Pump

Able to take advantage of all the Awesome modes of this Great Pump without using up any 0-10 Volt ports on the Apex Controller.

Ability to (pre-program Maxpect Controller Modes) then pick any mode, any durations, and schedule each mixed up 24/7.

You tube video, ...A lot easier than explaining in a post.

https://youtu.be/LlFyXAcSNvk

Unread 03/16/2016, 12:37 AM   #19
Wally.B
Registered Member

Yes, I now know how to pronounce Gyre properly ... I'll never hear the end of this

Unread 01/18/2019, 08:31 AM   #20
bfortune76
Registered Member

I know this is old, but did anyone figure out where the connection for the 0-10v is inside the controller? I want to control my gyre speed with a DIY controller and I think if I could tap into that it would be easier than building a diy motor controller.

bfortune76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, diy, gyre, mod, pump control