Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Martini5788
Registered Member

6 line wrasse tankmate

Added a 6 line wrasse to xena( my peacocks) tank tonight. So far so good. Xena has ignored it completely and it stays hidden in the rock work most of the time. I will keep everyone updated on how everything works out! I decided on a 6 line because I have a lot of pods and lots of macro in the tank. Hopefully it turns out ok

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2015, 07:30 PM   #2
das75
Registered Member

Know mine loved cleaner shrimp

Current Tank Info: 145g Starfire display (mixed reef) w/75g basement sump & 20g refugium, Barracuda return, Dart w/OM 4way CL, AI Hydras and Director.
das75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2015, 07:32 PM   #3
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Wrasse is a small shrimp predator so this should be interesting to see if Xena poses it as a threat and defends itself, becomes more reclusive in fear of it, or cohabits normally and peacefully.

Unread 06/30/2015, 07:39 PM   #4
Martini5788
Registered Member

Xena is like 6 inches. The wrasse is maybe an inch and a half. I went out to dinner and the wrasse was exploring the tank and now won't leave the rock work. I fed xena right before I put the wrasse in the tank so that she was in her burrow and didn't see the wrasse get introduced. I have a better feeling about this than a damsel, the wrasse is faster and will be able to maneuver between all the rocks a lot better than the damsel did.

Unread 06/30/2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Martini5788
Registered Member

6 line wrasse tankmate

I didn't pay much for him either. Got him from petco and got a discount. So I paid like 15 for it. I would never get a fish from petco to go in my community tanks but this one was fat and looked good and I'm not worried about it infecting other fish so I just went for it. To my knowledge, there isn't a parasite or anything that could infect xena and the wrasse has no spots or anything

Last edited by Martini5788; 06/30/2015 at 08:07 PM.
Unread 06/30/2015, 08:30 PM   #6
Derrick12
Registered Member

Damsels or most of them are aggressive and very curious. This ultimately almost always leads to their death

Derrick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2015, 10:35 PM   #7
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

I recall kharn making a statement that damsel have higher survival odds due to being capable of killing little "bugs" that can be seen crawling on the stomatopods eye. (IIRC, don't quote me on that.) Sounds like a reasonable possibility, and IME, I can see it being a good explaination since my O. scyllarus never minded the velvet damsel stapled to him sticking closer to his burrow than a pistol/goby pair.

The aggressive characteristic and extremely fast movements as well as ability to wedge into rock prove themselves to be too much effort and energy to go after appose to a fat crab or the like. Hard to picture something as hyper active as a stomatopod being lazy and intimidated, but if it ain't worth the risk or time, they simply won't bother. This would describe why some stomatopods wouldn't bother chasing fish as they know if they wait for the next crab or frozen food, it's handed right to them on schedule.

Quote:
This ultimately almost always leads to their death
Practically, yes.. statisically, not that much. The majority of livestock I see coexisting with O. scyllarus (Assuming we're ONLY speaking of O. scyllarus) are all within the Pomacentridae family, or in other words, I usually see high success rates with clownfish and damsels.

Wrasses would be a new one I've personally never seen coexisting, this should be interesting.

Unread 06/30/2015, 11:27 PM   #8
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Sorry calappidae but I never recall saying something like that

The only thing Eye + Wrasse + Mantis thing that I could think to recall upon would be the mantis shrimps eyes at risk of being pecked at by the wrasse.

In general I wouldn't put a wrasse with a Mantis just because I know people who have USED wrasse to hunt and kill a Mantis in their tank.

So I'd be worried about the wrasse causing stress and harassing the mantis.

I believe that clown fish might be the best fish that could be paired with Mantis Shrimp...why?

Because over the years I had offered MANY clownfish to my stomatopods both spearer & smasher and yet not one was ever taken, there was 1 instance where my 2nd largest spearer impaled a clarkii clownfish but the spearer released it...

I believe this has something to do with the fishes 'coating' another fish that I have had good success with is the Dragonets likely for the same reason being that their flesh has a coating that is likely not too tasty to the Mantis.

In short.

Clowns & Dragonets are the 2 fish that I believe stand a good chance.

Unread 07/01/2015, 12:26 AM   #9
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Perhaps it was someone else then, I definitely remember reading something similar on this forum with damsels eating bugs (copepods probably) found on stomatopod eyes.

Ah well, probably would've been looked into more if it was a big deal.

Unread 07/01/2015, 01:18 AM   #10
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I don't think I have ever heard of that... sounds a little farfetched to me...

Unread 07/01/2015, 07:57 AM   #11
Martini5788
Registered Member

No issues yet, but if the wrasse starts causing problems then I will take it back. Which wrasses did they use to hunt the mantis kharn?

Unread 07/01/2015, 12:38 PM   #12
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartin'Gary View Post
It's idiotic and cruel to put a wrasse in a tank with a mantis shrimp. Either one will kill the other, maim them, or one will live it's life in constant terror of the other.

Mantis tanks are for mantis shrimp. Get another tank for the rest.
Your attitude is completely unnecessary. Do not comment on any of my posts again. Learn to phrase things in a constructive way, instead of being a jerk. Why is that so difficult for people on these forums? If you want to be an *******, do it somewhere else

Unread 07/01/2015, 12:56 PM   #13
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartin'Gary View Post
Well it's not my fault that you do not understand what you are doing. Those things do not belong together. Simple as that. These are not toys.

Just because it's not something that you would do, doesn't make it wrong. I will see how it turns out. If something goes wrong, then I have other tanks to move it to. Don't talk to me like I am a child, I am not.

Unread 07/01/2015, 01:36 PM   #14
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

RC has an "ignore" option Martini, it's pretty much what he does is ridicule everybody's mistakes and builds.

In reality, yes it's cruel to keep two generally incompatable animals together, however it wouldn't be no different than say, an ill tempered emerald crab and the fish, or the fish staying in the wild filled with sharks and spearer stomatopods. PETA isn't needed here nor there. (or anywhere)

I've had more deaths resulting from a blue leg hermit crab then any tallied livestock I've kept with any and all stomatopods I've had.

Last edited by Calappidae; 07/01/2015 at 01:42 PM.
Calappidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Martini5788
Registered Member

I can't find the ignore option on my phone. I'll have to get on the computer and try.
Regardless, everything is going
Well so far. The way the tank is setup, all the rocks are on top of the PVC burrow. The entrances are on either side of the rock work. They have looked each other up and down and gone their separate ways. No posturing what so ever.

Unread 07/01/2015, 08:09 PM   #16
Kharn
MANTISMAN

You don't like making friends on here 'Fartin' Gary".....

It's ok to disagree with someone and let them know your feelings politely and in a manner that you yourself would like to be spoken to.

But if you wish to come off as exactly as you are then you will find no love here.

Or perhaps....if you have nothing nice to say....Don't say anything cause NO ONE wants to hear you spit your dribble from that forked tongue of insults!

Unread 07/01/2015, 08:12 PM   #17
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini5788 View Post
No issues yet, but if the wrasse starts causing problems then I will take it back. Which wrasses did they use to hunt the mantis kharn?
Pretty much any wrasse is good at hunting down mantis shrimp but I'd say the top end ones that I read about were the Dragon Wrasse Adults.

They just ware the mantis down it's not really a full blown assault until the wrasse has the upper hand and has basically forced the mantis into the open through sheer consistent harassment, then the wrasse will go to town on the Mantis.

Unread 07/01/2015, 09:27 PM   #18
Martini5788
Registered Member

I don't think the 6 line has the determination and concentration needed to hunt a full grown peacock. My mantis tank is a display Refugium, it is full of pods. It's gets too distracted with the pods

Unread 07/02/2015, 10:06 AM   #19
carmelpi
Registered Member

6-lines are quite the evil little bastards, imo. Also very difficult to get out of your tank. They stay kinda little compared to peacocks so i'm hoping they stay little.

I'm actually considering adding a tailspot blenny to the fuge section of my sump but not to the display.

Unread 07/02/2015, 10:48 AM   #20
nmotz
Registered Member

While I've never been particularly interested in keeping fish, I do think it is interesting that some people are able to keep them with full grown Peacocks. Others haven't been so fortunate of course, but I think it's especially interesting that some O. Scyllarus will even share their burrow with a small fish. I wonder if this has ever been observed in the wild?

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2015, 11:52 AM   #21
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

I know a species of lysiosquillina and Alpheus (pistol shrimp) that cohabit naturally. Works like a goby pair, but instead the stomatopod can kill fish itself and has perfect vision while the pistol I guess just sticks around cause it bothers no one, is too small for the stomatopod's interest, and I suspose guarding the burrow during molting would be a factor as well. I forgot what the species was but the mantis looks like L. lisa.

EDIT:

http://www.kudalaut.eu/thumb/400/w/categorie-foto/625.jpg/Snapping-shrimp-Alpheus-sp-Commensal-symbiosis-with-the-mantis-shrimp-Lysiosquillina-lisa.jpg

Last edited by Calappidae; 07/02/2015 at 11:57 AM.
Unread 07/03/2015, 08:38 AM   #22
nmotz
Registered Member

I think people are just curious as to why you're always battering everyone with insults, Gary. Usually when people don't agree about the type of advice being tossed around on this site, they try to work things out with reasoning and a certain degree of courtesy. You don't do that. You just lash out at people. Why? We don't even know you, and you don't know us. Why not just try to reason with people and not feel like it's the end of the world if we don't agree on everything?

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank

Last edited by nmotz; 07/03/2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: grammar
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2015, 10:26 AM   #23
carmelpi
Registered Member

There is a vast difference between educating someone, respectfully, on why they should do or not do what they're doing. Then there's being an out and out a-hole. Which is how you approached things.

No, she should not add a 6-line to a peacock tank. However, rather than say "I'm sorry to tell you this, but that is a potentially fatal pairing for your beloved pet. I would strongly suggest you find another home for the 6-line, and not try to keep fish with your mantis. You, the fish, and the mantis will all be happier for it. Wrasses are notorious killers of mantis, including large peacocks, and this will most likely end very badly".

You chose to be offensive. You come off the cuff fighting, to a complete stranger, on the internet, where nobody can see your face. I have learned that if you are respectful in your dissent, and explain why you dissent, 95% of people will say "ah, so that's why I should not add a 6-line to a mantis tank. I will take that under advisement and not do it" Instead, by being an a-hole pos, you literally give them the "this guy is an a-hole, I don't have to listen to him" argument. LITERALLY.

I agree with you on the 6-line, that it should not be added. But I do NOT agree with you on your method of delivery. People like you are the primary reason I eschew reef central generally. Until recently the mantis forum was full of reasonable, helpful people (calap included even though he also verges, occasionally, on the un-helpful).

Now, thanks to you, I am rooting for a successful 6-line/peacock pairing. Good on you.

carmelpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2015, 11:23 AM   #24
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmotz View Post
I think people are just curious as to why you're always battering everyone with insults, Gary. Usually when people don't agree about the type of advice being tossed around on this site, they try to work things out with reasoning and a certain degree of courtesy. You don't do that. You just lash out at people. Why? We don't even know you, and you don't know us. Why not just try to reason with people and not feel like it's the end of the world if we don't agree on everything?
It's not that he doesn't agree with people, he just pocesses blind hate and immaturity for others that don't agree with him. He's never wrong so don't even bother.

He's hated me because my first stomatopod died in a tank crash, or more specifically, got relocated in a container so I can move my other fish from a tank crash, and I didn't have the proper equiptment on hand. (Cause, EVERYBODY who's first few months of reef keeping and makes 20 dollars a week has spare equiptment and random tanks running in preparation of unsuspected tank crashes).

Then the blame for a P. ciliata's death when it arrived extremely sick and even other members said it's behavior isn't normal. Lol

I'm waiting for him to blame me for my recent O. scyllarus's death from a chocolate chip starfish.

I could be "that guy" and mention his misinformation, but we all do sometimes which is forgivable, I screwed up the difference between diatoms and cyano yesterday. However when I new to the forums (remember we all were new at one point and knew nothing of this hobby) he currently unwelcomed me here. Even another member who gave me a hard time, sent me a PM and complimented my improvement and apologized for the BS I've been recieving, in which I'm happy enough about. (speaking of which I haven't seen him around lately..)

(btw these are all events from almost 2 years ago.. AND IT'S STILL not let alone already.)

Ah well, thread detrailed. I added fuel to the fire, in which I apologize for everybody else.

Last edited by Calappidae; 07/03/2015 at 11:44 AM.
Unread 07/03/2015, 12:17 PM   #25
carmelpi
Registered Member

See, you and I had a disagreement about the diatoms the other day and it was civil. This guy just comes out, guns blazing, and attacks someone new to the hobby.

He can **** off.