Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/04/2006, 02:29 PM   #1
mhurley
RC Staff

Exclamation Please read regarding selling in the So Cal forum

Reef Central has had a standing policy of not allowing non-reef related items to be listed for sale on the forums. This includes simply linking to an Ebay listing, Craigslist, Recycler...etc....This forum has become pretty problematic lately and this place is starting to look like the classifieds ad section of your local newspaper. That is not the intent of this forum.

If it's not reef related, please don't post it.

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 60G Cube
Unread 05/05/2006, 04:28 PM   #2
SteveOhh
Moved On

For sale............one ex mod that upset the So Cal Reefers by insisting that all FS threads were reef related......

Will be willing to trade for corals!!!

Steve

Unread 05/06/2006, 08:47 AM   #3
GTR
Registered Member

Re: Please read regarding selling in the So Cal forum

Quote:
Originally posted by mhurley
Reef Central has had a standing policy of not allowing non-reef related items to be listed for sale on the forums. This includes simply linking to an Ebay listing, Craigslist, Recycler...etc....This forum has become pretty problematic lately and this place is starting to look like the classifieds ad section of your local newspaper. That is not the intent of this forum.

Thanks.
Thank you.

SteveU

Unread 05/14/2006, 03:22 PM   #4
Bebo77
Premium Nonpaying Member

we are the biggest club forum on RC, almost twice as big as the next club...

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal Envision Tank(98Lx30Wx26T) 120 Gal SoCalCreations Sump, Deltec TC2560, 2 LumenarcsMini 1 Reg on a light mover W Radiums 250& 400, Gallaxy ballasts, Red Dragon 10m3 return W/ 2 WavySeas, 2 6155 Tunze streams
Unread 05/14/2006, 05:47 PM   #5
mhurley
RC Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
we are the biggest club forum on RC, almost twice as big as the next club...
Minor point of clarification: This is not a club forum...it's a regional forum and one of only a handful that exist on RC.

Unread 05/14/2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Bebo77
Premium Nonpaying Member

Quote:
Minor point of clarification: This is not a club forum...it's a regional forum and one of only a handful that exist on RC.
true but what i was saying was that this is a very large/ busy forum... with that comes OT threads.. i agree with what you are doing... but i dont want the SoCal reefers to be look at as hooligans by RC and their mods because we have a busy forum with a lot of posting.... i have seen some 'regional' and or 'reef club' forums that have only a couple of posts in the passed 100 days... BORING

i like the fact that there is always someone selling, buying or even posting about their experiences on new or used products and husbandry...

just saying....

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal Envision Tank(98Lx30Wx26T) 120 Gal SoCalCreations Sump, Deltec TC2560, 2 LumenarcsMini 1 Reg on a light mover W Radiums 250& 400, Gallaxy ballasts, Red Dragon 10m3 return W/ 2 WavySeas, 2 6155 Tunze streams
Unread 05/17/2006, 01:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
true but what i was saying was that this is a very large/ busy forum... with that comes OT threads.. i agree with what you are doing... but i dont want the SoCal reefers to be look at as hooligans by RC and their mods because we have a busy forum with a lot of posting.... i have seen some 'regional' and or 'reef club' forums that have only a couple of posts in the passed 100 days... BORING

i like the fact that there is always someone selling, buying or even posting about their experiences on new or used products and husbandry...

just saying....
Amen my brotha

Unread 05/18/2006, 05:29 PM   #8
GTR
Registered Member

This forum started up a couple years ago and before that all we had was a thread. That thread would contain all the stuff you see in the forum now but there was no way to organize just a thread. If you didn't keep up with it on a regular basis you could come back to several pages of reading. Just take two days worth of threads from the forum now and shuffle all the replies and that's what we had. RC decided to give us a non-club forum where locals could do, well just do what locals do.

All RC is asking is that we follow the rules that apply in every other forum on RC. This thread was started just to tell everyone that as far as FS threads they MUST be reef related. In case no one noticed there was really no mention of moving non-reef related post off to the RC Lounge were they belong. So I do see some flexibility and concessions being made for us and maybe we should be happy with that and leave it alone.

SteveU

Unread 05/22/2006, 08:28 PM   #9
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Thanks for understanding Steve!

Gabriel, as Mike has pointed out, this is not a club forum! It may be a busy place, but you need to remember that this is ReefCentral, and not someone's personal site (as some may think it is). Posting here is a privilege that should provide information to further our understanding of reefkeeping. This is not the recycler, ebay, or garage sale central. There are other places, sites, and web communities that have a place meant for that type of business.

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Unread 10/15/2006, 10:53 AM   #10
kamilek
Moved On

Re: Please read regarding selling in the So Cal forum

Quote:

Thanks.
I have a used plastic trashcan that I used for mixing SW for my reef tank. Can I post it FS? Is it reef or non-reef related item.
Same Q regarding posting cameras.

Please define in more detail reef and non-reef items.

Thank you for your time.

Unread 04/04/2007, 11:58 PM   #11
five.five-six
Registered Member

Re: Re: Please read regarding selling in the So Cal forum

Quote:
Originally posted by kamilek
I have a used plastic trashcan that I used for mixing SW for my reef tank. Can I post it FS? Is it reef or non-reef related item.
Same Q regarding posting cameras.

Please define in more detail reef and non-reef items.

Thank you for your time.
yea how about the car I drove to the lfs with? and how about the house I keep my reef in? how about the toys my kids threw in the tank?

don't be a troll, if you can't reasonably expect to buy it at an lfs, don't sell it here

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
Unread 04/05/2007, 05:19 AM   #12
mhurley
RC Staff

Re: Re: Re: Please read regarding selling in the So Cal forum

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six
yea how about the car I drove to the lfs with? and how about the house I keep my reef in? how about the toys my kids threw in the tank?

don't be a troll, if you can't reasonably expect to buy it at an lfs, don't sell it here
Do you realize you resurrected a thread that's 6 months old?

Unread 04/28/2007, 08:41 AM   #13
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Re: Re: Re: Re: Please read regarding selling in the So Cal forum

Quote:
Do you realize you resurrected a thread that's 6 months old?

Funny how we come across this old stuff and feel a compulsion to add something to it, even if that something is basically nothing.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
Unread 01/14/2011, 12:39 AM   #14
szwab
RC Mod

Per you request (copied from the selling forums)

Reef Central wants to encourage the trading and selling of items among hobbyist. Giving others the opportunity to receive used dry goods, unwanted and propagated livestock can be nothing less than a benefit to all involved.

These forums exist as a service for our members to trade or sell their reef related items. They are not intended in any form or fashion to be used as a commercial outlet. Please keep in mind that being seen as commercial does not necessarily require you having a brick and mortar or online store. Selling with the foremost thought of making money, having a large inventory, a constant supply of an item, buying and reselling, growing out coral with the intention of selling and other factors will at a minimum make you appear commercial according to our guidelines. Recognizing that it is impossible to construct a definition which will satisfy every situation or circumstance, Reef Central reserves the right to determine whether or not a post violates the commercial post policy or definition. Violation of this policy will be grounds for removal from our community.

Please follow proper etiquette in these forums. Selling and trading threads are not for discussion or feedback. Feedback should be posted in the feedback forums only. Feedback and off topic post in selling and trading forums will be removed without notification. If you wish to purchase or trade please post. However, if you only wish to comment on the quality of someone else's trade item or the price with no intention of buying or trading please keep those thoughts to yourself. This type of post only sidetracks the thread away from the goal of the original poster which is selling or trading their item.

You are expected to place a FIRM asking price in your thread. Threads without an listed price, auctions, group buys, "first to PayPal", "guaging interest", "selling for a friend", and "best-offer" threads are not allowed and will be removed with or without notice on a daily basis. Links to Ebay and other selling sites will also be removed. The trading or sales of non-reef-related items is not allowed on Reef Central.

If you are selling locally only and do not want to ship, it would be to your advantage to place your location (City and State) in the subject line of your thread.

You must have 50 posts in "real" forums (ie, not the Lounge, or the Selling and Trading forums) and have been registered for 90 days before you can participate in the selling or trading areas. Our mission at Reef Central is the exchange of hobby information, not commerce, and the selling and trading forums are a perk for those members who support RC's mission. Additionally, requiring a minimum number of posts reduces the number of quick-sale scam artists and repeat, commercial-only entities who are only interested in making a quick buck.

If you want to sell via the Selling Forums please post your items in your thread, not just a link

Do not post to bump for the seller, make comments on the items being offered or the person listing the items for sale. Only post if you are interested in making a purchase. Posts not directly related to making a purchase will be removed and may result in infractions being issued for the poster. Five infractions will result in a loss of selling forum and private message privileges.

This and all other selling rules also apply for selling in the club forums.

Please keep in mind that these forums are a service RC provides. Following the above guidelines help make the forums more user-friendly, and certainly makes them easier to moderate.

Thank you,

RC Staff

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
Closed Thread