Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2010, 08:28 PM   #1
jmurr8484
Registered Member

Lightbulb Fish Addition Order

In what order should you add fish? Ive heard that if some species get added too late, then they make it in your system.

jmurr8484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Reefman29
Registered Member

That would depend on what you specifically want to keep.

Reefman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 03:49 AM   #3
jmurr8484
Registered Member

Here's the desired list:
Bicolor Pseudochromis
Clown Goby
Jeweled Blenny
Longnose Hawkfish
Neon Goby
Powder Blue Tang
of course a Clownfish
Orangspotted sleeper goby
Blue Tang
Pajama Cardinal
Royal Gamma
Yellow Tang
Mandarin

I know the Mandarin is suppose to go last. Also, I have added a clownfish (1inch).

I have a 90 gallon system (5ft long)

Unread 08/18/2010, 03:49 AM   #4
jmurr8484
Registered Member

I plan on having this setup with some inhabitants from the reef also.

Unread 08/18/2010, 04:12 AM   #5
chumm
Registered Member

do you have these already in another system or are you going to buy them one by one? qt is always a good idea and take it slow...

chumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 10:55 AM   #6
jmurr8484
Registered Member

one by one. just wanted to know the general order

Unread 08/18/2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Reefman29
Registered Member

The tangs MUST go in together to avoid fighting. They can be added at any time, but will require a stable system. Mandarin- I would recommend at least 6 months so as to allow the copepods to become stable, also it would be good to have at least a small refuge for more pod breeding. Other than that you should be okay with whatever you want at whatever time. The tangs would be best to go first if you are not doing a qt period.

Reefman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 01:09 PM   #8
iceh
Registered Member

I'd be careful with the pseudo, and the gramma - both have aggressive tendensies.

3 tangs for a 90 is too much. Not enough horizontal swimming space. If you are going to buy multiple add them at the same time to reduce aggression...and make sure your tank can handle the sudden bioload increase from 3 tangs.

As for order...you can add the gobies , blennies, cards, hawkfish in whatever order you like. I would QT everything, but especially tangs.

As was said before, the tangs need a stable environment, and the mandarin needs an ample pod population - they hunt all day long so your pods will quickly diminish and it will starve. I think the general consensus is 1 year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurr8484 View Post
Here's the desired list:
Bicolor Pseudochromis
Clown Goby
Jeweled Blenny
Longnose Hawkfish
Neon Goby
Powder Blue Tang
of course a Clownfish
Blue Tang
Pajama Cardinal
Royal Gamma
Yellow Tang
Mandarin

I know the Mandarin is suppose to go last. Also, I have added a clownfish (1inch).

iceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 08:46 PM   #9
jmurr8484
Registered Member

Thanks for all the input

Unread 08/19/2010, 12:44 PM   #10
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Quote:
Here's the desired list:
Bicolor Pseudochromis
Clown Goby
Jeweled Blenny
Longnose Hawkfish
Neon Goby
Powder Blue Tang
of course a Clownfish
Blue Tang
Pajama Cardinal
Royal Gamma
Yellow Tang
Mandarin

Why is the mandarin supposed to go last? The mandarin is supposed to go into a mature system...but not 'last'. Unless of course you get one of the new ORA mandarins, then I guess it doesn't have to be a 'mature system'...but someone else will have to chime in on those as I've never had one.

If you have a 5' 90 gallon tank, I'd skip the powder blue. There's just too many problems with them and you're going to stress it out with other tangs IMO. I'd stick with a yellow and a small hippo. The hippo will eventually outgrow your system. I'm not sure how old your tank is, but tangs fair better in established systems. Also, they should not be added first. If you add 2 tangs to such a small system and try to add fish later (even gobies and blennies) you could be asking for trouble. I had a tang attack a yellow watchman goby in a 90 just because he was new. If I hadn't stepped in, the ywg would have been killed. So add the tangs last, and DEFINITELY qt them. The hippo is an ich magnet.

Quote:
I plan on having this setup with some inhabitants from the reef also.
Does this mean you are taking the above list and adding in fish from another tank as well? You have quite a bit of fish in the list already...

TampaReefer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2010, 08:48 PM   #11
jmurr8484
Registered Member

Its just a desired list. The 4 that are top of the list are the clownfish, blur hippo, yellow tang, and the madarin. I know I wont be able tohave all in my system. Its more of whats available at my LFS. I dont even think they carry half the fish thats on my list. I was looking a liveaquaria for references. As far as corals, i just want a carpet anemone, long tentacle or bubble anemone, xenia, and a few polyps & mushrooms. I dont want all the extravagant corals. Also of course i want to have a CUC.

Last edited by jmurr8484; 08/20/2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: needed to add something

Tags
addition, fish order