Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/13/2017, 04:06 PM   #26
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
so water goes from my RO to a Brute storage and is de gassed for 24-48 hours than pumped through DI. .
That's commitment right there LOL

Some people have to fight hard to keep at this hobby, if I had my moms well I would never do this.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 04:23 PM   #27
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outy View Post
Non sequitur.

We are talking about water quality of ground water at the moment, which is more often then not, worse then tap water which generally has certain requirements. Ground water is often quality controlled not just by state standards but by county standards.

I know you would never "not" run well water through DI for your own tank, so why introduce a maybe?

Me personally, I like drinking good well water over treated tap water any day of the week.

Yes many states do have aquifers that remain stable, and not a one would I ever recommend not using a DI resin after RO.
Non sequitur? Lol. Well arent you being a little offensive now...

Deepwells are ground water... So your non sequitur comment is hilariously non sequitur itself.
"Worse than" is a matter of standards. Which were you referring to? In some cases tap water and ground water are exactly the same, minus a little chlorine residual. I guess in that context, ground water is always worse from a drinking water as its required to have a disinfectant residual. In some cases, extra treatment steps are required before distribution in which case, ground water quality has more in it than drinking water. From a reef tank standard, drinking water may or may not be worse than ground qater depending on treatment steps. If it was only chlorinated, then sent out to the distribution system, the ground water is better, as now there is now another thing that needs to be removed by my filters.

Tap water has no requirements. Drinking water does. I thought I'd make that designation, because of your well comment. If I draw water out of my own well, the state doesn't give two craps what's in it at my tap.

All water here in the U.S., surface and ground has regulations to protect the source, and regulations for the final product as drinking water.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Unread 12/13/2017, 05:30 PM   #28
bertoni
RC Mod

Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.

Okay, let's see what the original poster has to say about his situation, if he hasn't already been scared away.

Unread 12/14/2017, 09:30 AM   #29
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post

Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.

Okay, let's see what the original poster has to say about his situation, if he hasn't already been scared away.

Thank you for redirecting the thread. Outy, I apologize for any comments I made that may have been regarded as disrespectful.

OP hopefully you have already found the information you need, if not, please give us information like what type of corals you would like to keep, and where your source water comes from.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 09:42 AM   #30
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outy View Post

I have water that starts at 27 TDS, leaves 2 X RO at 0 and I would never recommend to anyone my water is fine to use without going through DI despite the 0 rating.

0 TDS means little here, I still recommend DI, and funny if you said my water is fine at 0, then my DI resin should last indefinitely, it does not. [less shelf life]

Disagreement aside, where are you that you get 27 TDS water at at the tap? Thats crazy low. Heck, 150 is crazy low. I'd love half of my 650 TDS...

Along the same lines, why 2 membranes? Do you run them in parallel, or series? Do you run the waste water through the 2nd to recapture more waste water? Or do you run the permeate through the second RO to up your % removal?

How long does your DI last?

Unread 12/14/2017, 12:08 PM   #31
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
Outy, I apologize for any comments I made that may have been regarded as disrespectful.

Yes I apologize as well.

Quote:
where are you that you get 27 TDS water at at the tap?
Auburn Ca, sometimes it will get to 29 but rarely over 32.

Quote:
, why 2 membranes? Do you run them in parallel, or series?
Water savings, since its so clean I can get away with series. Leaves second membrane at 0

Quote:
Do you run the waste water through the 2nd to recapture more waste water?
exactly, may do a third as well.

Quote:
How long does your DI last?
That is a great question.

I have never had color change go bad, but I made the mistake of running 2 cartridges horizontal. [25 years] I just mounted them vertical and within 2 weeks they are now showing half exhaustion on 6 month old resin. Normally I swap it every two years regardless of color.

The only negative to the water and why I'm such a proponent of DI, is my water changes have brought GHA for a few weeks after every water change. So despite my water quality there is something in the water that is introducing phosphates and or nitrates. This is over 25 years of the same thing.

I run a DSB and have gone years without water changes and growth has been amazing and no GHA at all, until the DSB has ran beyond its capacity then the tank requires attention.

Had water tested thinking containers were leeching Phos, and all low range test came back 0, from multiple independent test Been using 100g rubbermaid stock tanks for a decade now, still same issue.

Just ordered nuclear grade mixed bed resin, and now with cartridges vertical, I'm hoping to have a handle on this.

Unread 12/14/2017, 12:58 PM   #32
pisanoal
Registered Member

Strange with the gha on water changes. I can definitely see running two membranes in series where you are. I'm betting the water is really expensive. Do you know the source and what they do to treat it?

Unread 12/14/2017, 02:33 PM   #33
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
Strange with the gha on water changes. I can definitely see running two membranes in series where you are. I'm betting the water is really expensive. Do you know the source and what they do to treat it?
Has to be snow run off that go through a series of lakes and canals. The water is ice cold in the canals even in the summer when its 100f out. We definitely don't have a huge treatment plant.

I live right below what used to be storage ponds they turned into a 1m+ G tank, I know I'm 1 mile from the treatment plant

Whats funny is I had the same exact TDS before and after construction