Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2014, 06:12 PM   #1
IndexKey
Registered Member

RO/DI filter exhaustion

I recently replaced my RO membrane. My RO system was the BRS 5 stage plus system, and afterwards I noticed that my pressure on the membrane increased significantly. It jumped from 60 psi to 80 psi, and suddenly the TDS before the DI membrane jumped to 200+ ppm. I replaced my prefilter blocks and DI Membrane roughly two weeks ago, and put less than 50 gallons through it, and already the DI membrane is exhausted and needs to be changed. The micron filter block is also changed from snow white to a brown, as if it is covered in clay from the water. A bucket of DI water used to take an hour or so to fill up, but now it runs through in half the time, and I can view the DI resin tumbling in the canister. What can I do to trouble shoot this and resolve it? I need to order new DI resin, but I don't want to if its just going to burn out in a week. DI resin used to last me 6 months, now it doesn't last me a month.

IndexKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2014, 06:17 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

RO membrane might just not have been seated fully in the housing thus letting some water past without being filtered

mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2014, 06:19 PM   #3
IndexKey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
RO membrane might just not have been seated fully in the housing thus letting some water past without being filtered
so that would explain the increase in membrane pressure? So I wouldn't need to change the prefilters then, just the DI resin. Do you have a link to any videos to properly seat the membrane? I appreciate your help!

Unread 10/23/2014, 07:18 PM   #4
JMorris271
Registered Member

Is there a correct or wrong orientation as far as which end is up with a membrane?

JMorris271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2014, 05:16 AM   #5
Eac7466
Registered Member

I took mine to the local fish store and they helped me install it there.

Eac7466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2014, 10:29 AM   #6
phillrodrigo
Registered Member

If the di resin was tumbling in the housing it wasn't packed correctly.

phillrodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Yeow.

If your old prefilers were clogged, and you replaced them with clean prefilters, that would account for higher pressure.

As mentioned above, if your membrane wasn't fully seated, this could be the cause of burning through your DI quickly.

As mentioned above, if your DI resin is visable tubling, you didn't load it properly.

Feel free to give us a call when you are in front of the system and we'll get everything squared away.

Russ
513-312-2343
(we're open both days this weekend)

Buckeye Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 05:59 PM   #8
IndexKey
Registered Member

just saw this buckeye, I'll be giving you guys a call tomorrow. I opened it up and tried re-seating it, but again nothing seems to be helping. Even before when I first installed the membrane I never had pressure above 60 psi. The TDS after the RO membrane is also at 200, which seems a little high. Is this kind of TDS unusual, or is it more likely that I just didn't pack the resin correctly, and thats why the DI burned out so quikly?

Unread 10/27/2014, 06:03 PM   #9
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

If your RO water is at 200, something is wrond with the membrane. Could be a number of different things - let's talk when you're in front of the system. The bad DI pack job has nothing to do with the high RO water TDS. Before you call, please measure tds in three locations:
Tap
RO
DI

Thanks,
Russ

Unread 10/27/2014, 06:21 PM   #10
IndexKey
Registered Member

I'm fiddling with it right now actually. tap is 280, ro is 200, di is 20 and rising given the exhausted filter. it seems like either the housing is busted and not allowing the membrane to do its job, or i received a bad membrane. i can also hear water flowing through the system when the di isn't running and I have the storage tank closed off.

Unread 10/27/2014, 06:44 PM   #11
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

So the primary problem is your RO

Unread 10/27/2014, 06:45 PM   #12
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

what is your pressure?

Unread 10/27/2014, 06:53 PM   #13
IndexKey
Registered Member

my meter says its 80 psi. very high for what I used to get.

Unread 10/27/2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Is the meter reading after the prefilters abut before the membrane?

Unread 10/27/2014, 07:12 PM   #15
IndexKey
Registered Member

yeah thats correct. Right after the last prefilter

Unread 11/06/2014, 06:01 PM   #16
IndexKey
Registered Member

just wanted to revive this to say how incredibly happy I am with BRS's customer service. After going through a detailed check of the filter to make sure everything was running, they sent me a new membrane free of charge to see if I had recieved a defective membrane by chance. This cleared up the issue and my tds post membrane is now down to 8 TDS. I can finally get back on track setting up my 90 gallon and put my mind at ease.

Shout out to Lue for some great, patient customer service. Theres a reason BRS has been my go to since setting up my first tank