Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2014, 09:52 AM   #8151
jeffdenney
Registered Member

Welcome everyone!!!

5gal fuge-50watt led flood. chaeto,caulaerpa
APEX+ Skimz cm122 CaRx
jeffdenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 12:10 PM   #8152
Demoz91
Registered Member

What's up everyone? New to marine tanks! Owned tropical fish for a while now and my girlfriend really wants a marine tank! Havent bought a tank yet or get any plans on what to buy. Im here to read alot of posts and learn any advice on tanks and fish much appreciated. Cheers.

Demoz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 01:17 PM   #8153
Guru1423
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

New to marine fish but had tropicals for years.

Inheriting a 180gl overflow with 75tank under it, protein skimmer and uv filter, was being used for coral but that has all since died. the tank has a bunch of rock that was alive but it may all be dead now.

Anyway hopefully i can make the tank awesome again

Guru1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 08:28 PM   #8154
Dannysanemone
Registered Member

i have new anemone in my reef and not sure if its doin good ,its been a week and some times of the day its mouth will show out and at time it will be wide open , can some one direct me to how i can make it happyor help it get better , since its been place at first on the side middle of the tank its move to the lower corner and stay there since also a domino damcel has host it and at time when bully by clowns it will hide in the carpet , i have a few pictures here on reefcentral ,and some vidoes on the link below since i dont know how to load them on reefcentral , check them out and help me please thank you .

https://plus.google.com/111193246796006949349/posts

Dannysanemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2014, 11:46 AM   #8155
Viper034
Registered Member

Kinda the new guy

Hey everyone, I became a member quite awhile ago when I intended on starting a tank, and then didn't. I thought I was going to be moving in the foreseeable future and decided to wait on a tank. Well, I'm not moving, and I've decided to start a tank. Just purchased a 45 gal bow front tank to start a FOWLR aquarium. Doing lots of research into the rest of the equipment I'm going to purchase, but should be starting soon!

Viper034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2014, 11:31 PM   #8156
reefmoose
Registered Member

Smile hi guys

so new to the forum. i have a 75 gallon reef paired clowns. 5 mollies i acclimated red mushroom and what i think frogspawn( time to grow will tell for sure) snails about 10 hermits some normal a scarlet some blue leg 2 emerald crab and a sand sifter star. overflow sump ruffly 10 gal. protein skimmer good to 150 gal. future plans is sump upgrade to the 10 raised and dump into a 20 gal custom built tanks been running on move setup for a month and then some. I would like to switch to exterior pumps down the road increase my protein skimmer pump for more air intake and ad more inhabitants. i would like to have more coral and more fish in the future.

reefmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2014, 04:45 PM   #8157
brian 1973
Registered Member

Whats up RC. My name is Brian. I have been in the hobby for about a year and a half now . I started with a bio cube and now I' am up to a 75 gallon reef with a eshopps sump bubble magus c7 skimmer and two 175 MH with t5 fixture. I' am currently planning an upgrade to a 180. If anyone has any advise feel free to share. I have learned some great stuff here and looking forward to learning more. what a great hobby!!!!!!

brian 1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2014, 11:31 PM   #8158
iwhati88
Registered Member

trying to get back into the game

I used to have a reef tank 14 years ago. I may pick up a 180 LEEMAR starfire tank this weekend. If not I'm hoping to find a use system in great condition on this forum. Looking forward for and help and advice.

iwhati88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2014, 03:46 PM   #8159
jess1111
Registered Member

Smile Hello all

My name is Jess and I am excited to be a member of this online community

jess1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 12:59 PM   #8160
Doodlebuglouise
Registered Member

Hello everyone

Hi all,

Newbie to reef tanks, although I gave had a freshwater aquarium for a number of years now. Looking forward to gleaning useful information from you knowledgable guys, and hopefully will be able to help some people out in the future.

My freshwater tank is a standard aquaone980 which is maturing well, and the reef tank is an aquaoak 450l tank with AI hydra lighting, going to look very cool (i hope)

Neil

Doodlebuglouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 04:09 PM   #8161
REENZ
Registered Member

Cycled?

Hi my name is Maureen. I live in oregon and just started my 29 g biocube reef tank last Tuesday. Already having numerous issues. There is definitely a learning curve. I started last Tuesday. Put in 20 lbs live rock. 2 bags live sand, saltwater from pet store and a cleaner crew! Of course all the cleaners died immediately for one of many reasons. Took me six hours to get home and to set up tank, heater wasn't working which I didn't immediately notice. Ran to wal mart in middle of night for new heater. Put in purigem into bag local ps sold me which had big holes so purigen went right into tank and covered all rock. Of course cycle had not started. Went to lps and had h2o checked they said all good low ammonia and I bought emerald crabs 1 turbo snail and 4 black margaritas to replace. Cleaner crew. Within 4 hours crabs dead. I think snails shill alive. I bought my own test kit today ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 5 ph 8.2 I removed purigen bag last night. Now I don't know is my tank is fouled and need to start all over or if cycling done! Any help would be appreciated. Probably way too much info from a newbie

REENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 05:57 PM   #8162
dps2280
Registered Member

Hi!

Hello, new to this hobby and already addicted, hehe. I have a 90 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump that I want to use for sps and lps. I've setup the aquarium with everything but live inhabitants in it, and now waiting for it to cycle which seems like it's been a lifetime.

dps2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 07:17 PM   #8163
Brownflem
Registered Member

'lo all

New to the forum.

I have a 60 cube mixed reef display tank with ~20 custom sump. and a 45 gal frag tank with a 20l sump. Both tanks have AI Hydra 52s

Brownflem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 11:58 PM   #8164
jamayhew
Registered Member

New and eager to learn!!!

Hello, I am new to the reef central website and excited to learn some new things about this wonderful hobby

jamayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2014, 04:05 AM   #8165
OspreyPrey
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

Not new to the hobby but new to saltwater. The wife gave me her blessing to get a tank. It won't be for a year or so but I am going to start growing my coral frags in the 20 Gal Long I have now. I'll take all the advice I can get!

See ya around!
Osprey

OspreyPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 01:51 AM   #8166
OhMatic
Registered Member

good luck

OspreyPrey
Go Big!
good luck and have fun

OhMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 02:21 AM   #8167
scottduncan1234
Registered Member

hello, new to saltwater previously use to breed cichlids I just moved from Virginia to Okinawa Japan and since my tank has been emptied I decided I am going to go saltwater FOWLR/sand and once the tank is established for about 5 months add easy to-keep soft corals and then if I see successful progress I will continue to LPS and anemones. I currently have a Juwel vision 450 liter tank (approx. 120 US gallons), penn plax cascade 1500 gph filter, 5 - 800 gph powerheads, 3 - AQUATOP 200w heaters, 2 - AQUAMANA LED-60x3W Dimmable 180W Blue/White LED, Lee's Protein Skimmer...custom building a top for the tank that houses the lights...I just wanted to list my equipment because I haven't found many people around in the hobby. After all the research I've decided to go with live sand straight from the ocean here and collect sea water. I've been snorkeling and seen reef and tropical fish 5 feet offshore so I believe the sand and water will do good well in reducing the cycling period. My plan is to collect the sand and water this weekend and cycle for one week before adding two small cheap fish. I plan on DIY dry/live rock because I want to customize the structure caves and spire. I am joining a group that have live rock and corals so I will buy some off of them for starter. How does everything sound so far?

scottduncan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 02:22 AM   #8168
n8n
Registered Member

Hello

Hello, I'm new saltwater, I had a large freshwater tank for about 10 years and could not afford saltwater a long time ago... now i'm getting a marine setup. Been doing alot of reading and research and getting upto the final decision time and purchasing. lots of questions.

Thanks!

-Nathan

n8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 03:37 AM   #8169
scottduncan1234
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8n View Post
Hello, I'm new saltwater, I had a large freshwater tank for about 10 years and could not afford saltwater a long time ago... now i'm getting a marine setup. Been doing alot of reading and research and getting upto the final decision time and purchasing. lots of questions.

Thanks!

-Nathan
Welcome Nathan, I'm new too, what kind of questions do you have? I might have the same that someone might answer.

scottduncan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 09:19 AM   #8170
skanchel
Registered Member

Hello!
I am new to this site as well as to saltwater aquariums and everything that goes with them. I have just started a 55gal FOWLR and currently have 2 ocellaris clowns in it. I hope to get them some friends soon.
Thank you in avance for your helpful advice - I'm sure I'll need it!

skanchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 02:48 PM   #8171
kevinaii
Registered Member

Hi. I'm new to the forum, and feeling a little overwhelmed. I had been successfully maintaining a 54 gal fresh water tank until a few weeks ago when we decided to switch over to cichlids, we figured they were a good 1/2 step towards salt. Well, once in the LFS my wife convinced me to skip past the cichlids right into saltwater fish. I'm doing as much research as I can, while my tank sits cleared out except for about 40 gallons of the old freshwater. Reading up before my next move which I'm hoping down the road becomes a reef tank, but initially will be a FOWLR w/ live sand.
Thanks for all the info I've gathered so far, and for all of the info i'm sure to gather going forward!

kevinaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 05:55 PM   #8172
ReefingAllDay
Registered Member

Hello, This is my first post on a forum. A kid I sold my last tank to on craigslist told me there were reef clubs and many helpful people here. Im in Westchester, NY and have been reefing for 5 years. I started small with a 14 gal cube and have been upgrading every year I just bought a 265 gallon tank after closing on my house. If there are any local reefers please inbox me. This is going to take a long time to get this tank running, but patience is key to this hobby right? I've got a fish store I trust watching a few fish and a 30 gallon holding all my corals that aren't as common as most others. First order of business is building the right sump so look for me in the DIY section. Ciao!

ReefingAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 07:23 PM   #8173
banjowalker
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I'm from morganton NC,

I've raised freshwater tanks since I was knee high to a grasshopper. It's always been a dream of mine to have a saltwater tank and I just recently purchased a 75 gal drilled tank with a 20 gallon sump. I've been in the process of setting the tank up for the past month including resealing and water testing. I have got 50 lbs of base rock and about 60 gallons of water (Red Sea salt mix) along with 80lbs of sand, and I am waiting to buy the live rock and waiting to put the 40lbs of live sand in. I have been researching saltwater for about 6 years now and since I bought a new house, I only thought it was fitting to get my first saltwater tank, I have two reef breeders led units above my tank. I also have a sea urchin protein skimmer along with everything else to start my tank. I am a fish enthusiast in a sea of people who don't understand why. I would love to find people that live around me to help me through this big first step. Tips, tricks, or anything else will be greatly appreciated. I will be setting up a reef tank and I have planned a stock list already. Glad to join such a good forum.

banjowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2014, 04:37 PM   #8174
gmgaj
Registered Member

I'm absolutely new to reefing. I had a couple of freshwater tanks 20+ years ago, so I'm approching this like I'm completely new. I'll start a new topic shortly on getting started. So far, I have a 20 gallon tank, stand and single regular flourescent light fixture. Everything else is still to be purchased.

gmgaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2014, 05:02 PM   #8175
Fabien
Registered Member

Hi, I'm Fabien from San Francisco, CA. I used to have a freshwater tank. I've now a saltwater 55G tank for about a year now.
Some up and down with the sea life in there. But I'm learning everyday.
I love everything about computers and electronic and I am building an LED light system.

Fabien is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral