Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2014, 07:53 AM   #1
Gup_King
Registered Member

Fish missing, what should I do?

For the past few weeks I thought I was seeing 'something' in one of the holes of the live rock after dark but couldn't get a good look so just assumed it was my firefish's head. Last night I saw it and it didn't dart back inside when I got near the glass. I got a couple of pictures but they are very poor so not really worth sharing.

Admittedly I panicked a little bit and after failing to grab the crab with tweezers picked up the rock and tried to dig it out with the tweezers. In my haste I forgot that the firefish was in the same chunk of live rock. It was at least partially submerged throughout the whole ordeal and at a guess no more the a quarter of the rock was out of the water at any point. The rock is a reasonable size (about 3kg) with plenty of caves/tunnels but during the maybe 5 minutes I was trying to grab the crab I didn't see my firefish at all and to make matters worse I failed to catch the crab.

The tank lights came on about 3 hours ago and I still haven't seen my firefish, she's very cautious but spends the entire day in the open tank, so I'm very concerned.

I worry that maybe she became trapped in the commotion,possibly getting into a part of the rock where the only exit was sealed when I returned the rock to it's resting place but I'm wary of scaring an already terrified fish.

I realise I handled things pretty poorly and I've been kicking myself since, however I could really do with some advice. Should I be rushing to her aid or simply giving her time?

Gup_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 08:05 AM   #2
whosurcaddie
Registered Member

I highly doubt that you have trapped the fish. Firefish are very timid and the moving of the rock probably made it want to seek cover. Also you would be amazed at the size of crevices fish can fit themselves into if they want to get away from something they will. I would say give it a few days and relax. It will show itself when it gets hungry.

whosurcaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 08:10 AM   #3
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosurcaddie View Post
I highly doubt that you have trapped the fish. Firefish are very timid and the moving of the rock probably made it want to seek cover. Also you would be amazed at the size of crevices fish can fit themselves into if they want to get away from something they will. I would say give it a few days and relax. It will show itself when it gets hungry.
+1... And I've had live rock, shipped from Florida, dry but covered with wet newspaper, that had live fish emerge days later!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Gup_King
Registered Member

Thanks a lot. I assumed I was overreacting but it's my first tank and I've had some major issues because of a dodgy hydrometer so am a bit jumpy at the moment!

Unread 10/25/2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

First, get a refractometer.

Second, they're pretty tough, but if you didn't catch the crab, that could have been a problem for the fish.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 12:17 PM   #6
Gup_King
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
First, get a refractometer.

Second, they're pretty tough, but if you didn't catch the crab, that could have been a problem for the fish.

Way ahead of you. I got a refractometer as soon as I realised.