Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2014, 10:34 PM   #226
karimwassef
Registered Member

I added an 80W CFL to the scrubber. Let's see if that helps.

Believe it or not, removing the hair caused my pH to drop. Even weeds have their uses and hair is photosynthetic. Their CO2 consumption was significant.

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2014, 10:31 AM   #227
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sounds like you need a serious herbivorous army, Karim!

I wouldn't feed the tank at all. I'll never forget, leaving for a week, and coming home to find my tank in better shape than when I left it!

Consider more large herbivores. I've read that Skopas Tangs will make a difference.

You may want to consider the 'nuclear' option - urchins. These creatures will consume algae down to nothing. Start with several of them, then reduce them down to one, when you get it under control.

Multiple tangs, blennies, maybe even an army of mollies. As big as your tank is, maybe it could support one of those Galapagos Iguanas, that eats algae!

I think with your manual removal, more and bigger herbivores, absolutely no feeding, and then tracking down what is out of balance would help. It would seem you have a large nutrient source, to keep all that algae happy, and you're massive skimmer's sucking out serious gunk.

As you said, you like to experiment. Sometimes I try to do too many things at one time, and I just make things worse. You may try just doing one thing at a time, then just wait and observe. For two weeks. Give Mother Nature time to do her thing.

And there's always water changes! Large ones with RO/DI water or something close to that.

What are your goals for this tank? What organisms are you trying to feature in your display? What can you do to favor them, over hair algae?

Or maybe you're okay with the hair algae. You certainly have a sustainable population! You could probably support multiple herbivores, and never have to lift a finger again! No maintenance, no feeding, just keep the lights and pumps running.

You know, your hair algae is beautiful, in its way. There have been some beautiful tanks on the fresh water planted side, aquascaped with nothing but ground covers, like your hair algae, and rocks and driftwood. Check out http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/ Click on 'Aquascaping Contest'. Tons of inspiration!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2014, 01:25 PM   #228
karimwassef
Registered Member

Speaking of it. Last week, I ordered 10 sea urchins. My plan it to use them until it's under control and then give or sell them.

I'm sensitive to introducing large tangs due to my experiences with hyper aggressive behavior limiting my future options unless I tear the tank apart.

This is supposed to be an sps grow tank hence the absurd lighting and flow. The same conditions that make hair algae grow. The only problem is the mounds of insects that invade my garage and die on my halides.

I need a powerful skimmer (got that) and a strong bio filter (tank sand bed, DSB, Chaeto farm). I also added a GFO reactor.

It's slowly taking effect.

The only algae I need is coralline.

Unread 09/28/2014, 01:28 PM   #229
karimwassef
Registered Member

The best herbivore is supposed to be rabbit fish. Got one but small, and already the juvenile sailfin and the rabbit are playing territory games. They're each 2" and they decide to inhabit the same 4" of space is a 3' x 8' tank.

Unread 09/28/2014, 02:33 PM   #230
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

10 urchins ought to do it.

So, the dead bugs are your 'nutrient source'? They're dying and falling into the tank? And there's no way to prevent it? Maybe you could block the light that attracts them.

Or you could stock a surface-feeder, like an extra large Green Chromis or two. Something that swims high and has a big enough mouth to eat the biggest bugs.

Some Tangs don't play well with others for sure, but lots of folks have multiple tangs without incident. I think the key is to research them carefully, and then the order of introduction is critical. Of course the point is moot with ten urchins on the way!

Unread 09/28/2014, 02:48 PM   #231
karimwassef
Registered Member

I've used mosquito netting. That blocks the big ones but the gnats get in. I have a giant shower curtain (really) but it's not completely sealed and bugs are great at finding gaps. I can't seal the garage - wife needs to park or the tank goes...

I had a school of chromis but they fought to the death (who knew?).

I can't completely block the tank - still need fresh air and a way to remove the humidity from the surface. My LFS recommended a monster fan to keep the bugs from being able to land on the DT or sump water surface. Still considering that option.

Hey, if you ever run out of plant food - open a window. LOL

Unread 09/28/2014, 02:58 PM   #232
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Today I got my canister filter running, with the CO2 injection. So that should help a little. Unfortunately, even though I cleaned it first, it spewed gunk and clouded my tank water. Let's just call it 'bacteria seeding' and go with that…

Played around (again) with the red macros. Trying to get a pleasing arrangement, that also gives them enough light. I need to stop and leave them alone, so they can adjust to their location.

I look forward to getting my refugium up and running! I cannot think of a better place for it than right in the middle, on top of the display tank. So I may have to supplement the lighting to compensate for the blocked light.

Unread 09/28/2014, 04:14 PM   #233
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

More pics for ya!

Love this view! Kind of a mangrove root view out to the seagrass meadow…

It's really not fair. I get this instant beauty, without suffering for years in service of corals. Poor me!

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 09/28/2014 at 04:29 PM.
Unread 09/28/2014, 04:25 PM   #234
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Here's where the red macros are today!

Got a little more creative with their placement, so everyone gets light, but not too much…

Unread 09/28/2014, 04:28 PM   #235
karimwassef
Registered Member

Gorgeous view - even for a plant hater like myself.

Unread 09/28/2014, 04:34 PM   #236
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Love this guy! Looks like a coral, grows and moves like a plant.

Probably my favorite of the reds I got.

Unread 09/28/2014, 04:39 PM   #237
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The grasses look good. I have angled down the powerhead towards them, so they get a nice current, but not too much…

Can't wait for them to take off! Got CO2 going today.

Unread 09/28/2014, 04:42 PM   #238
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Another view of the reds…

Unread 09/28/2014, 09:01 PM   #239
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Some tech pics…

Here's the back of the tank. You can see the white putty in places. It seems to be staying put, so I'm happy. Hopefully, over time it will get water-logged…

Unread 09/28/2014, 09:04 PM   #240
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Here's a good view of 'the gap'.

I've been sticking macros in there.

Unread 09/28/2014, 09:11 PM   #241
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This is inside the partitioned left end.

The small black output is from the canister filter, which is running. The large white plumbing is from the Reeflow pump, which is not running. I'm anxious to try it out, but not until everything is well rooted.

It occurred to me, I could put bio pellets in the canister…

Unread 09/29/2014, 05:54 AM   #242
JLynn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I've used mosquito netting. That blocks the big ones but the gnats get in. I have a giant shower curtain (really) but it's not completely sealed and bugs are great at finding gaps. I can't seal the garage - wife needs to park or the tank goes...

I had a school of chromis but they fought to the death (who knew?).

I can't completely block the tank - still need fresh air and a way to remove the humidity from the surface. My LFS recommended a monster fan to keep the bugs from being able to land on the DT or sump water surface. Still considering that option.

Hey, if you ever run out of plant food - open a window. LOL
Have you tried meshes? Like the kinds we use for filter socks? A mesh with, for example, 100 micron sized openings should be able to keep gnats out (though I must admit that I have never tried to measure gnats in microns, so maybe I am overestimating their size...)

JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 06:23 AM   #243
BlueFyre
Registered Member

This tank is looking amazing!

I can't wait to see everything fill in.

BlueFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 08:26 AM   #244
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, BlueFyre. So far, so good!

I think I've seen a little new growth in some of the grasses. The red macros are holding up well, with some die off. The Botroyocladia (red balloons) seams to be the most fragile, losing balloons every time I mess with it. I'm done with moving it now, so maybe it will recover. Also the Caulerpa Racemosa (var. Peltata) has broken up a bit. These two plants have released lots of 'pioneers' around the tank. With luck, some will grow into new plants!

Unread 09/29/2014, 08:29 AM   #245
JLynn
Registered Member

New growth in the seagrass?! Already? Congrats!

JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 09:03 AM   #246
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I had another idea. What if I skipped the external refugium altogether, and instead put it in my unused overflow.

Downside is I have to raise my water level a half inch or so, which will put it around a half inch from the top of the tank. Theoretically, it shouldn't be a problem, as I have a Spectrapure auto top off setup that works pretty reliably. Plus all my water is in the tank-no sump. But one half inch doesn't leave much room for error. And the cabinet's 'hood' comes down a couple of inches below waterline, so fish swimming at the very top and front of the tank will be hidden. It doesn't have the capacity of the vessel I was planning to use, but since the whole tank is already like a refugium, it should be fine.

Upside is the simplicity-no pumps or plumbing to fail. It would seem that as overgrown as refugiums can get, it would be a constant battle to keep its plumbing clear of obstruction. I think it would look pretty cool and natural to have chaeto and ulva growing into the tank at the top! I imagine the ulva would be constantly cropped by herbivorous fish, so it shouldn't get out of hand. Excess Chaeto would need to be pruned by me. I bet it would be very productive, so close to the light, so I'd get some nutrient export. Probably could trade for store credit at my LFS (local fish store).

With the coast to coast width, pods would have plenty of room to get out and back into it. It would simulate lagoonal shallows. I just wish I'd placed the overflow about an inch lower…

Unread 09/29/2014, 10:40 AM   #247
karimwassef
Registered Member

Honestly, I see a dedicated refugium/sump as an asset. The ability to add/remove/modify with flexibility and without impacting the DT is so valuable.

If I could, I'd make my sump as big if not bigger than my DT. It's like an iceberg, you see the peak, but there's a lot more going on underneath.

Unread 09/29/2014, 12:39 PM   #248
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, JLynn. I'm not going to get too excited about the minimal growth, because it was probably fueled by reserves, rather than anything I may have done. Now when/if I get substantial growth, THAT will get me excited!

I've done no water testing, excepting salinity, so I have only my observations to go on. I expect that the nitrogen cycle is progressing, probably rather slowly, with pods and dying plants (and no fish) the main source of ammonia. Plus the plants compete with the bacteria for nutrients. So it may be a rather long process.

What does get me a little excited is that (so far) I have no (green or blue-green or red) microalgae visible. So considering the amount of light I'm using, that's a good sign, I think. I do see some diatoms on the DSB surface and the fake wall-both of which have silica sand for fuel.

I've yet to use my plant tabs. I haven't decided whether to use them now, or keep them ready, like an 'ace up my sleeve'. Maybe I'll add another dose of 'seeding ammonia' for my 'fishless' cycling. It's been about a week since I added the first one.

I've found an online source of Caribbean live rock, that I can get as little as 25 pounds. That will be an ammonia source while it cures, so I think I'll wait a month or two to add it to the tank. This should give it time to amass some 'carrying capacity', and hopefully prevent a microalgae bloom. I could easily cure it outside the tank too, if i want.

In the meantime, I'm thoroughly enjoying the 'can't stop staring at the tank' phase!

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 09/29/2014 at 12:56 PM.
Unread 09/29/2014, 01:14 PM   #249
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I agree with you on all counts, Karim.

However, what's good for my tank may not be good (practical, easy) for me. As I said at the very beginning of this thread, I'm taking into account the most important species in this equation-me. The name of my particular species is 'lazyass aquariast'.

So if I find a way to make my 'job' easier, and it doesn't negatively impact the tank, I'll likely go that route. Since my tank is a large 'display refugium', I think I can pull it off. And there are some real pluses too. I love the coast to coast opening, that allows pods to 'come and go', rather than a 'one way, down the drain and you're out' scenario of 'regular' refugiums.

I'd love to hear more thoughts on this idea!

Unread 09/29/2014, 01:35 PM   #250
karimwassef
Registered Member

I'm a member of the same species. I've only done one water change since starting my tank three months ago even as I battled hair algae.

I have an end to end too (8ft), but being lazy works better with the sump. It's less work IMO.

In terms of pod / plankton mobility, you're right. Even though I've seen pods blown threw my return without harm. The best case would be a same level sump (sideways instead of above/below). That was the design for my outside tank but the TX weather disagreed with my boldness.

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass