Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2009, 09:36 PM   #1
MERCURYROCKET
Registered Member

clean tank

what home remedies can be used to clean thick salt creep from tank and koralias? thanks greg

MERCURYROCKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2009, 09:51 PM   #2
xJake
Registered Member

Hot water and vinegar. Let it soak overnight and then wipe or scrub off any remains.

xJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2009, 10:53 PM   #3
austin93
Don't Panic!

I second that, vinegar works great. Just let the Korallias run in a bucket of hot water and vinegar overnight. It will be great in the morning.

Current Tank Info: 30 Rimless
austin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2009, 05:38 AM   #4
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

And if you need something stronger then go with muriatic acid. You can get this at HD or any pool supply store.

Most folks will tell you to dilute it out but I can't remember what that recommendation is. I personally have used it full strength for different things (to include power head cleaning) with no ill effects.

I would add a word of caution with this however. This is a STRONG acid. You need to be very careful with it.

Vinegar works but generally takes longer. You have to let things soak. Muriatic will work in seconds. The calcium buildup will melt right before your eyes.

Current Tank Info: NONE - Sold - Can't afford it right now!
coralfragger101 is offline   Reply With Quote