Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/27/2007, 12:16 PM   #76
djc1026
Registered Member

Are you guys absolutely sure this design will work with a 72" 150 gallon and no middle upright support? Like I said, I'm just a little nervous about that being my first build and I'm not an engineer

Dave

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon FOWLR -- 29 Gal Misc
Unread 08/27/2007, 01:10 PM   #77
slandis3
Mr lucky

Quote:
Originally posted by djc1026
Are you guys absolutely sure this design will work with a 72" 150 gallon and no middle upright support? Like I said, I'm just a little nervous about that being my first build and I'm not an engineer

Dave
You'll be fine with this. Heres a pic of a stand for a friends 150 we built a while ago. Its holding up fine.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Last edited by Misled; 04/11/2018 at 05:13 PM.
Unread 08/27/2007, 01:13 PM   #78
aomont
Registered Member

Is this what you mean when you talk about opposing wedges RE ?

Anderson.

Unread 08/27/2007, 01:22 PM   #79
Charlutz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phisher
One other thing I would mention from experience, my last design did not originally have a "top" of plywood like many have mentioned being unnecessary. I found resting the tank directly on the 2x4s a bad idea because of the less than straight nature of the boards, lots of high/low spots. I'm sure a planner or other tool could correct this but for those of use without access, I found shims, a sander, and 3/4" plywood a lot easier to get a good, level surface out of.
All wood has a "beam." That is, it is curved to a peak in the middle, some pieces moreso than others. When you select your 2x4's, sight down them longways like you are looking down a gun barrel. You will see that there will be an arch in the middle. Find the 2x4's with the least amount of arch. They don't all have to be perfect as you are going to cut a number of them in half to make your legs. But when you are looking for the pieces that will serve as the long rails under the tank, find the ones with the least amount of arch. When you go to build, orient the beam so that it peaks in the middle rather than dips. The weight of the tank will bring it into square. At least, that's what I was taught by the contractor who helped me with my first stand. It also helps to mark the direction of the peak with a pencil by drawing an arrow on the 2x4 so you don't have to keep looking at while building.

Unread 08/27/2007, 05:09 PM   #80
laud
Registered Member

"laud,
Glad I could help. Very nice. Keep me posted, attach a link to a build thread when you get that far."

I wasn't planning on posting a DIY thread since I am tagging along marino420td's thread and basically copying his stuff, who I think got from someone else. lol

Here is a pic of the progress so far..

Last edited by laud; 08/27/2007 at 05:16 PM.
Unread 08/27/2007, 05:20 PM   #81
laud
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm no engineer either, (my wife is though. haha) but if you go to an aquarium store and check out what is holding up their 265 tanks, and the like, you will realize that these stands are not only overkill, their good too.

Unread 08/27/2007, 05:40 PM   #82
DaveCF
Registered Member

I am working on building racks for my fishroom, and I am considering this design. Could it be adapted to hold three tanks on top of each other? So, I would be using the base to hold a tank, and then adding an additional tier for a tank in the middle and one on top.

Unread 08/27/2007, 05:52 PM   #83
aomont
Registered Member

I guess so David ! I´m thinking on doing quite the same with the help of many many other from this forum !

See here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1193998

Anderson.

Unread 08/27/2007, 06:06 PM   #84
saltwaterfishlover
Registered Member

thanks Rocket... sounds like a plan

Unread 08/27/2007, 06:42 PM   #85
RocketEngineer
Space is big.

aomont,
Thats exactly right.

djc1026,
I can understand your reluctance, but consider how strong a tree is just supporting its own weight.

slandis3, thanks for the stand pic.

laud, good progress. Post some pics when you're all finished.

DaveCF,

This was a design I came up with for another member. Depending on what you wish to go on each level will determine what size to make each level. If only two tanks are going to be used, the bottom frame can be removed and the legs set directly on the floor.

saltwaterfishlover, your welcome.

"Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions, experience is what you get when you don't." - Unknown

Current Tank Info: None Currently
Unread 08/27/2007, 07:26 PM   #86
rnhrtfan
Registered Member

Great thread. question though? has anyone tried to put screw in type leveling feet in their stand you know, something similar to the type of feet on the bottom of a desk? this would prevent the use of wood wedges to level a stand on a unlevel floor (which is the case in my floor about 1/4" or so).

Current Tank Info: 30G Oceanic Cube, 175W MH, Vertex IN-80, 2-Tunzes modded 6025's
Unread 08/27/2007, 08:31 PM   #87
Mykayel
Registered Member

I've used them before for a 55g and had them under the corners and the middle. The biggest concern I'd have with them though is with much bigger of a tank you might have to worry about making a perminent indentations in your floor. Lets say you have an 800 lb tank with most of the weight coming down on the corners, lets say all of it coming down on the corners; with each of feet taking 200 lbs and each foot only having an area less about 1/2 square inch or so, that's 400 psi your putting on your floor, which is enogh that'd I'd be concerned about that on a hard wood floor getting an indentation from the weight, especially if they were installed slightly crooked and then concentrating the load at the side of one of the feet therefore increasing the psi on it. Now you could easily put a shim of wood under each foot to distribute the load better.

Unread 08/27/2007, 09:42 PM   #88
aomont
Registered Member

Man, I aggree with djc1026. This is scaring !
Anyway, I have made a few modifications after what you said and after seeing the last design.
As I´m using every footprint available and changed the screw strip to the outside, I went with one uprigth on the corners to the side and none on the front, like the last drawing so I could reduce inside length.

Here is what I came with:
Front view

Top view

Just to remember, 3 20 gallon per rack (3 racks) per stand and sumps on the bottom.
Can I use 2x4 in everything ?

Thanks everybody.
Anderson.

Unread 08/28/2007, 07:41 PM   #89
Phisher
Wut?

Here are a couple shots of mine under construction. Its for a 36x18x17 acrylic octopus tank I'm putting together.

Start

Vertical bracing

Not planning a center upright so here is what I did to keep it from bowing.

I'll likely add some more vertical supports to hinge my doors on, but here is the basic shape.

Current Tank Info: 65g JBJ AIO

Last edited by Misled; 03/27/2018 at 06:43 PM.
Unread 08/28/2007, 07:54 PM   #90
mjschomer
Registered Member

Hey Phisher, are those 1x4s? If so, I'm doing almost the exact same thing!

Unread 08/28/2007, 07:54 PM   #91
sick1166
Registered Member

i have used 2x4s on aquariums 6oo gallons plus they hold up a roof

Unread 08/28/2007, 07:58 PM   #92
Phisher
Wut?

Yea I did the one for my 120 out of 2x4 and it ended up weighing a ton. The 1x4 are cheaper, seam to be straighter, lighter, and easier to work with.

Current Tank Info: 65g JBJ AIO
Unread 08/28/2007, 08:22 PM   #93
Siffy
Registered Member

Does the added upper horizontal support rest its load on anything or is it just screwed into place? I'm wondering if it's even necessary... I just picked up a 40B a few hours ago since PetCo has them on sale, so I may build that exact stand frame shortly.

RE, when are you going to produce a canopy template and calculator?

Current Tank Info: 29g Mixed Reef with Metal Halide
Unread 08/29/2007, 02:29 AM   #94
mountaindew
Registered Member

Wow, you guys/girls build some heavy duty stands!
rocket engineer's designs a super heavy duty stand to say the least using even the cheapest lumber like hemp fir and doug fir would make them even stronger. Myself, I use plywood and standard cabinet construction techniques i.e. datos, splines and glue. but as stated above it takes more tools.

Unread 08/29/2007, 11:09 AM   #95
Speedway_06
Registered Member

quick question about the actual measurements of the tank itself. Actual tank measurements with the black moulding at the bottom will actually be 1/2" longer in length and width from what I am told. For example in a 75-90 gal. those measurements would be 48 1/2" by 18 1/2". I am new to this so when I build this stand I want to make sure I don't have to trash it and build another. Is everyone taking this into account or are you removing the moulding? Thx

Unread 08/29/2007, 11:20 AM   #96
DwightKeenan
Registered Member

I measured and included the molding. I wouldn't assume that all tanks are the same, I could be wrong though.

I am building mine right now and I am actually only 1/4" more than the tank glass itself.

Unread 08/29/2007, 05:51 PM   #97
dazed
Registered Member

very nice thread glad i found this as i have a new tank build going on; okay so here it goes tank dimensions are 60"L. x 18"D. x 20"H. (90g). Acrylic.
So from the reading and picture at the beginning of this thread I would be using 2x6 for the top box construction correct??

If so can i use 2x4 for the bottom one and for the purple pieces?
The tank is acrylic so i will be adding a plywood top as well either 1/2" or 3/4"
Is the use of foam board still needed for the bottom??

Current Tank Info: 100g with 30g sump. Lighting: Aquactinics MH/T5 (2) 175w Iwasaki 15k & giesemann t5 bulbs (1) Aqua Blue + & (1) pure actinic. Flow (2) Tunze 6101 w/7095 controller. Skimmer Msx 160, RK2
Unread 08/30/2007, 09:03 AM   #98
Speedway_06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DwightKeenan
I measured and included the molding. I wouldn't assume that all tanks are the same, I could be wrong though.

I am building mine right now and I am actually only 1/4" more than the tank glass itself.
Dwight,
is yours a 1/4" on each side for a total of 1/2" or just and addition 1/4"

Unread 08/30/2007, 09:08 AM   #99
aomont
Registered Member

Please do not forget about me !
Is that design over there ok without the uprights in front ?
2x4 in everything would be ok ?

Thanks again, this thread is awesome and I´m learning a lot.
Anderson.

Unread 08/30/2007, 10:57 AM   #100
Siffy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aomont
Please do not forget about me !
Is that design over there ok without the uprights in front ?
2x4 in everything would be ok ?

Thanks again, this thread is awesome and I´m learning a lot.
Anderson.
If you're talking about your last set of pictures. Looks good, but you'd want to use 2x6's for the horizontal members likely. Your 147cm comes out to ~58". You may get away with 2x4's just fine. I'm not really sure what size tanks you're planning to put there. You're planning 3 racks to hold 3 levels of 20L tanks and 2 sumps on the bottom level per rack? And 2 tanks per level per rack? I don't think that's what you've said, but that's what your numbers correlate since a 20L is 30". How many tanks total are you setting up? 18 displays and 6 sumps? Is this right?

Current Tank Info: 29g Mixed Reef with Metal Halide
Closed Thread