Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2018, 09:14 PM   #1
jjoos99
Registered Member

silicon way high

I just got my ati water test back and and my silicon levels are really high in my ro/di makeup water. It tested at 1540 when it should have been at 0. I am getting red slime on my sand bed and have not been able to beat it. I am guessing that the silicon is probably contributing to it. How can I reduce the silicon? I have well water and I go through a lot of resin if I try and maintain 0 tds. Most likely co2 in my water. Any advise would be helpful and appreciated.
thanks
Jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 10:59 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I would get a regular silicate test kit and confirm the reading before spending much money, but you might need to get a degassing tower and a silicate buster cartridge if the reading is real. I'd start with confirming the result. The silicon might in theory encourage slime, although the issue might lie elsewhere, as well. Have you looked into nutrient control?